Sign in to follow this  
heavenorshell

Fixed width problems

heavenorshell

I am working locally with the PlatformPro and having problems with the fixed width. I have chosen the fixed width in global settings and chosen the site to be 980 px in the layout section. But the site does not stay in that width, as I am editing it, it keeps on changing as seen in this picture (look at the feature section); qALZf.png Anybody with the same problem?

six70

Sorry I can't help but but can you tell me how you set the black backround on the left and right? :D

catrina

Hm, have you already tried adding any CSS coding that may adjust the layout width? Jordan, to change the background color, add this code to the base.css file in Platform Base:

body {background-color: #000;}

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

heavenorshell

Hi again, What kind of CSS should I use to make the width stay as I set up in the layout section?

heavenorshell

Thank you for your answer, but I am sorry to say it did not solve the problem. And I am really puzzeled about the size of the featureslide images. I use only backgroundimages and I want them to have the same witdh as the feature slider and what size is the featureslider if the fixed width is set to be 980 px for the whole site in the layout settings? Reading through all the answers here did not make it easier. Some suggest it has something to do with Feature Text Position? The only change I have done is this; .fcontent .ftitle { font-size:2.4em }

Kate

Hey Kristina - Just want to clarify a couple of things. First, the featured slider is the only element you're having issues with when it comes to the width, correct? And, when you say it keeps changing: do you mean it reverts back to another width? Or it changes between two different widths? It's kind of difficult to say what the issue is without being able to login.

heavenorshell

Thank you for your answer. Sorry, I will to try to be clear this time. The whole site increases the width, including the feature slider, while I am editing stuff on the site. Just now it is on 988 px even though I set the layout to be 980 px and as fixed.

cmunns

it's likely an issue of not taking some of the padding/margins into account, but hard to say without a live link. If it's a matter of just finding the feature slider width try using chrome developer bar or firebug firefox css tools to get it.

heavenorshell

Hi again. I now have a live link and still having problems with the fixed width. When I started today and editing, the fixed width was set to be 980 px and as you can see now it is 992 px and I did not change it. Any ideas? http://heavenorshell.se.preview.binero.se/

bryan-hadaway

The total width is 1008 right now. Can we perhaps get a screenshot of your layout settings? Thanks, Bryan

heavenorshell

Hi, here is a screenshot of my layout settings ( IAXEH.png) , but as I said I did not change it.

cmunns

So it seems you have a poltergeist on your site! Are there any steps that you can repeat to consistently get the same action. Surely it won't change just staring at it, but if you click save or something like that and when it grows is it a consistent px amount each time?

heavenorshell

Well, I would be glad if a poltergeist would explain the mystery. One thing is if I set the layout to be for instance 976 px as in this screenshot ( bkNPz.png) and saving it the result is like this ( Pne1B.png). The result is 980 px?? I cannot say exactly what makes the layout to change, but as longer I edit as wider it gets. Then I change the layout settings and start all over again.

catrina

Hm. And the width of no other thing is changed in the layout? What happens if you save it as 972 (would it turn out as 976)?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

heavenorshell

No, nothing else seems to change but the width increases. And as you suggested if I save it as 972 it turn out as 976...

cmunns

is the increment always the same? I really do think that it's just the way the padding is setup up under the fixed width options.

heavenorshell

Yes, the increment is always the same when I set the width in the layout settings (but as I mentioned before when I edit other things like the sidebars the site increases in width more and more), for instance if I try to reset the layout the result ends up in 964 px. Have I missed some options about padding in the layout settings?

Kate

@Kristina Do you have borders set somewhere? (I'm thinking one of the main wrapper type divs?) Borders act like padding in that their value(s) also have to be added to the width of an element to get the total width. Hard to say without a link ;)

heavenorshell

Hi everybody, I think I have solved the problem. Usually I use all my browsers to work zoomed in a bit due to my eye conditions. When I changed it back to work without any zooming everything stayed the way I want it to. No more changing of layout settings. Thank you for all your efforts!