Sign in to follow this  
pcgs

PlatformPro: Can banners float left or right of a sidebar?

pcgs

I would like a series of banners to display just under my main content area but not pushed below my sidebars. I guess you could describe it as floating to the left of the sidebars. I'm using a page with one sidebar on the right. How can I do this?

catrina

As opposed to using the template settings, there would be a way to align the banners that way, which means that the width of the content on the left (possibly the sidebars as well) would have to be adjusted in order for the main content area to fit properly in the middle. Would you be willing to adjust the widths of the content and sidebars to accommodate those banners?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

pcgs

I'm not sure you understand my question but hopefully we can get this figured out. Here are my current layout dimensions: Global content width is 960px Main column width is 670px Sidebar1 is 290px Hopefully this will help us both. Here is a screen shot for pcgs-example.jpg

pcgs

I don't see how narrowing the sidebars would help any. But I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

catrina

Ohhh, I missed the part about the banners being UNDER the main content. Go to your Template Settings and select the "Banner Page" template. Drag PageLines banners underneath "Main Content".

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

pcgs

Sorry, but that doesn't work. What you suggest is the way my pages already are set up. The banners are forced below the #maincontent div. Which holds the main container and sidebar. boxes and banners are forced to the bottom of the page. I would use the banners in the content area. If I put them above the content the page turns off the sidebars. I went to a lot of trouble to even post a picture of how my page is and what I want it to do. Test site example is here. <http://brucechristian.com/home/about/> I want the banners to be narrower in width and to fit to the left of the sidebar just below the main content.

cmunns

The banner section would give you a nice image and a title? Are you trying to use both of those of just an image. You can accomplish the same thing using the "content sidebar" and a little HTML or just format that page accordingly by inserting an image and centering a title for it. Is there a benefit to the banner section here that you can't do what I describe above. Also, that picture you posted is wonderful...very helpful for helping us see what you want to do :)

pcgs

Adam, please re-read your post. I'm confused by the placement of your question marks. Are you asking me what a banner does? Are you asking me what I hope the banner would do? You know the answer to the first question. I offer a screen shot and a link to show what I hope the banner would do. I thought a picture was worth a thousand words. Like the image demonstrates I want an image, a title and body copy description all of which are in the screen shot as well as where I had hoped to fit the sidebars. As for using a "content sidebar" Yes, I suppose could use one. But thought that using banners would make make more sense in terms of CMS and SEO (categories and grouping dynamics, etc.). If I want to write that much HTML why not just put it into the main content container? At least the editing window is larger to work with. And just to be clear, this is not a rhetorical question I really would like a response please. Thanks.

pcgs

Typo: "??¦where I had hoped to fit the 'banners', not sidebars." [sure wish we could preview and edit our posts in this forum.]

cmunns

I know that makes sense, I think I was thinking you wanted a Highlight Section instead of a Banner section which is basically just an image...brain fart on my part especially since the highlight section IS compatible within the page content area. I know this is one of the highest requested improvements is to get all the feature, banner, box sections working along adjacent to sidebars instead of full-width, but right now there is no clean way to do it. I'll double check with Andrew on this in the afternoon.

pcgs

Now THAT's an answer! Thank you Adam. I can respect a simple, "I don't know" or a "Not possible just yet." Words mean things. Yes, Banners are Banners, Boxes are Boxes, Features are Features and Highlights are Highlights. I hope that everyone in this Pagelines community will remember this when questions/answers are posted, often times terminologies get butchered from both the user and the support sides. As for Highlights working in the same area as the content. I respectfully submit that you are mistaken. Unless there are some other kind of Highlights you are talking about. Highlights are positioned in the same space as banners, boxes or features. Above or below the content/sidebars. I shouldn't have to have tested this myself but just now I did. I hope that Pagelines will take a hard look at this post. Can we agree that this question should have been answered long ago with this simple reply. I was forced (and time is money for all of us) to work really hard to get this answer. As for this being a requested feature. IMO, it makes sense for banners since their layout seems flexible enough to make narrower but Boxes would be rather cramped if they fit horizontally adjacent to the sidebar. Just sayin. Thanks again Adam.

bryan-hadaway

Let's start with this: `body #banners .banner-area{width:680px}` Drop that in Custom Code > Custom CSS and we'll go from there. Thanks, Bryan

pcgs

That makes the banners narrower. It doesn't move them up. How does that fix anything or get me to my goal?

Kate

@pcgs Certainly understand that "time is money", and sorry to hear this was a frustration for you. I'm sure Adam will post back regarding whether it is possible or not. In the meantime, thanks for your patience.

mosley301

I am trying to do the same thing with boxes. I want a sidebar to the left of them. In my mind this could be a simple float in css but I can't figure it out for the life of me.

bryan-hadaway

First there's some obscure blank image/code at the top of the page that needs to be removed: `TheHorns.jpg` The width IS important to your goal, but I'll have you remove: `body #banners .banner-area{width:680px}` and let's update it to: ` #banners .content-pad { margin-top: -300px; width: 650px; } ` and we'll go from there. Thanks, Bryan

ysdt

Hello. I'm also having the same problem. I've added #banners .content-pad { margin-top: -300px; width: 650px; } to my custom code. It pushed the banners so that they will fit with the sidebar in place, but for some reason the sidebar won't move up. I didn't see in this forum if I needed to do anything else, but I apologize in advance if this has been answered. Thanks so much.

ysdt

Sorry one more thing, I'm also having trouble with getting more than 10 banners to show up on the ysdt.org/press page...I read about this in another forum, but I don't know if the problem was solved yet.

bryan-hadaway

Hi Samar, Can you start new topics for the issues you're experiencing? Thanks, Bryan