Sign in to follow this  
mattk

Adding Category to Navigation

mattk

Currently, I have pages listed in the navigation. How can I include one category with the nav menu? Or, how do I display recent posts on a page? Thanks

cmunns

If you want to include a category in the navigation I recommend building your menu system with WP3.0 menu. It is under Appearance - Menus instead of having it automatically generate pages.

trishahadleymgcom

Hi Adam, I am having this problem as well, and I'm using the WP3.03 with a custom menu. All of my pages display in the navigation fine, however the one I have as a Category, does not show up. I also made a sample dummy post to see if it needed content in order to display, still nothing. Please advise.

trishahadleymgcom

Hi Kate, Here it is http://www.sherylmatthys.com/ All of these in the nav are pages. I'm trying to add a category called Blog. It's sitting there in the custom menu but not showing up. :(

bryan-hadaway

Are you sure you've actually set your custom menu to take in the front-end. Simply creating a custom menu is not good enough. To the left there when in; Appearance > Menus where the 3 dropdowns are found you have to actually connect it. Thanks, Bryan

trishahadleymgcom

Hi Bryan, I'm not sure what you mean by actually connect it. I've got all of the pages and the category set up in the right hand side and have saved the menu. What am I missing? oH0jV.jpg

bryan-hadaway

On Appearance > Menus there are 3 dropdown options, have you set this option; setting the top dropdown option to the menu you named/created? If you're still not sure let's get a screenshot of your menu settings page. Thanks, Bryan

trishahadleymgcom

I'm not seeing any 3 dropdowns other than what's on the screenshot in my previous entry. I have the menu called "Main Top"(as shown) and saved. Everything is showing up except the Category (and it's child category and post). Is this not the menu settings page?

Andrew

Hey Trisha, You will only see the 'Relationships' placed to the right of the others (hierarchy) if drop downs is enabled.

socalele

I had the same issue this morning. The category would not show anything until I created posts and added them to the category. Then in your custom menu you add the post as a child of your category. I struggled with this because I wanted a "Portfolio" button in my nav menu but did not want a page. I settled for the category page with children posts in my menu. www.socalelectric.org I still can't align my header all the way left though. Hope this helps.

trishahadleymgcom

@Andrew~ Yes, I have drop downs enabled in the Theme Options. I've used custom menus in both Woo Themes and Elegant Themes, and I've never had this issue with a Category not showing up. It's a very weird behavior. @Jay~ I have a post created and assigned as a child to that category. Thanx anyways. Sounds like this is issue is going to stay unresolved for me, my client is getting impatient and I'm probably just going to tell her to pick a different theme.