Sign in to follow this  
dario

Painless updating

dario

As I alluded to in another thread, I made mods to my site the hard way, via the php directly. I did comment out so I can find my edits however. Some of the mods were to add an ad between posts, another was to make the first post display full and the others only excerpts. Etc. So, what's the best way to update to 1.1.5 and how should I have done all this in the first place? Thanks. My site is here.

Kate

@dario The best way to do customizations is to add them in the child theme. If your modifications were done to the main folder, the best option I can think of right now is to save off your current platformpro folder (as a backup), add the new one, and then manually go in and make the changes. Alternatively you could do the same thing, but make the changes before you upload the theme to the site, since it's live. Hope that makes sense. Here are some further tips for upgrading: http://www.pagelines.com/docs/upgrading

dario

Thanks Kate, I did try to amend via the Base child but the edits (like the php stuff) never seemed to take so I went back to the main. I'm guessing that I need to seriously look into hooks.

cmunns

fyi for files like template.postloop.php...you can copy those directly into the base theme and they will override the same file in the parent theme while being safe during updates.

dario

Sounds great. So nothing changes to that file in the updates? I mean, does the template.postloop.php file that comes with the updated downloads remain the same, version to version?

bryan-hadaway

I don't think that's a safe bet. For future projects I would use the base theme, if you for some reason can't I would keep a text file and map all my hard edits as you go along. For now, lesson learned you're going to have to go manual on the thing. Thanks, Bryan

danabrunetti

Hi Bryan and Kate, Is there anything special you have to do to get the customized .php files in the base theme folder to work when it is activated in WP? The custom template that we made appear in the Template Setup drop down while having Pro activated only works when the pro files are customized not when the custom config.temlates.php w/array section edited as well as a page.pagename.php file is just in base (and the Pro files are standard). Anything special you must do to get .php files in the base to override their /platformpro counterparts?

bryan-hadaway

Hey Dana, forwarding to the developers for some insight. Thanks, Bryan

cmunns

@Dario, the file does change between versions but it will not delete or erase anything if you've copied and edited it in Base @Dana template.postloop.php works fine and I have noticed that others do not, I have addressed this with Andrew as it should be clear what exceptions have to be made to get it to work this way

danabrunetti

@cmunns Thank you for the quick reply! Is there a current thread or Doc that goes over the exceptions currently used to get such modifications to work with the template.postloop.php file that we could use as reference to troubleshoot this? Will await word on how to do this, will there be an update to this thread or should we check another place? We have started working on the Pro files but until we get this functionality in base fixed it's going to be a bit of a pain for new updates we think.