Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chules

Pagelines Framework and the Impact of editing functions.php & style.css

chules

All,

I'm building a site using Platform 5, Pagelines Framework and WooCommerce.  I try keeping my site updated with the latest updates from Pagelines and WooCommerce but have a question relating to the impact of updates.

With WooCommerce I've noticed that some customization directs you to edit your themes function.php and style.css files.  I've been doing this using the dashboard > appearance > editor where I make make the edits.  I'm wondering if this is the correct way to make some of these changes.  For example, there's a new Platform 5 update and I'm not sure if installing the upgrade will wipe out my changes to functions.php and style.css.

While I don't have many changes here, I'm wondering if I should continue editing functions.php and style.css or use something like Code Snippets plugin (I believe this plugin is just for functions.php though)

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Thank you

Chules

Aires

Hi @chules,

The best way to handle customization like this is to use a child theme that has a function.php file in it.

This way when you update your parent theme your changes are not wiped away.

You can read about child themes here https://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes 

ndTgvai.jpg

Visit iheartpagelines.com for the latest tutorials on PageLines related products.

chules

Thank you for the reply.  I will look at creating a child theme

chules