Sign in to follow this  
brandongaudin

In need of multiple fixes

brandongaudin

Before I post my questions, wanted to say I'm overall very impressed with PageLines. After being frustrated with countless Wordpress themes and endless coding glitches, I'm happy I've found PageLines. If I can get tech assistance and alter my site the way it needs to be, I will certainly be recommending this program to colleagues who do similar work. Rather than start multiple threads about fixes as I went along creating my site, I've tried to wait until the end so I could put everything in one post. Help with each of these is greatly appreciated. Thank you! THESE ARE ALL PLATFORM PRO QUESTIONS. I MEANT TO POST THIS THREAD IN THE "PLATFORM PRO" FORUM BUT POSTED IN "GENERAL" ON ACCIDENT. 1. How would I add thin, subtle gray lines between page names on the top nav bar? 2. Is it possible to have the sidebar show next to the features/boxes? For instance, on this page: http://www.brandongaudin.com/newsite/audio/ I want the sidebar to extend the full length of the page and not just when the "main content" section begins. 3. I am utilizing the features box on this page: http://www.brandongaudin.com/newsite/inthenews/ and want to alter the link (bottom) portion so there is space between the first and second row of links. Ideally, I also do NOT want a link to start on line one and end on line two like it does currently. I plan to add a lot of features to this page so I will be going past line two and also want future lines to cooperate. 4. Also regarding features, how do I embed my own flash videos in the feature page. I know how to upload youtube/vimeo, but that's not what I want to do. I'm using the FLV embed plugin (http://www.channel-ai.com/blog/plugins/flv-embed/) on my site but when I add in the shortcode in the feature section, it doesn't work. I think I understand why this is, but is there a workaround? I really don't want to have to switch plug-ins because I'm familiar with this one and I like how it looks on my video page: http://www.brandongaudin.com/newsite/video/. 5. How do I remove the pagelines leaf logo at the bottom of the site? If need be, I can add a pagelines link but the leaf takes up too much space and looks awkward, I think. 6. In the top nav bar, I'm thinking of changing the "Butler" page link to black font because I want it to stand out. How would I do that. Also, what if I wanted it to have a different hover color (other than the light gray)? 7. Sometimes I will be writing very short posts that don't warrant a "Continue Reading" link. Yet I noticed no matter how long or short the post, the "Continue Reading" link is there. I don't want a "Continue Reading" link if there is nothing else to read! Is there a workaround? 8. I want to have a single category of my blog feed into the content section of one of my pages. I know you can create a category page and link it in the nav bar, but I don't want to do that. I created a "Butler" category and want all of those posts to feed to my "Butler" (http://www.brandongaudin.com/newsite/butler/) page. Is this possible?

cmunns

If I provide CSS like my response for #1, place it either in the base.css of the Base child theme which you should be using or in the custom css area of the theme settings panel 1. `#primary-nav li {border-left:1px solid #DDD;}` 2. This is not possible currently, but will be added in future version. ( It is possible if you know PHP, but not recommended unless you're an expert ) 3. `#featurenav a, #feature-footer span.playpause {` `display:block;` `float:left;` `margin:4px;` `}` 4. Did you try using it in the content portion of the feature? 5. `#cred {display:none;}` 6. `#primary-nav .main-nav li a:hover {background:#000;}` `#primary-nav ul.sf-menu li a {color:#0088CC;}` (will turn background hover black and text blue, look up hexidecimal color codes for more) 7. You can choose the option for showing full posts, and manually adding the `` tag to create an excerpt 8. This really doesn't make sense, is there a reason for having it be a page instead?

brandongaudin

Thanks, Adam! Follow-ups... For #1 - How would I add a gray line across on top (to match the one on bottom) 2. Ok, I will look forward to that. Any guesstimation on when? 3. Good! 4. Yes, it works there but looks awkward because the content section takes up about 25% of the space...so when you embed a video, it looks strange (I put up a test video so you could see: http://www.brandongaudin.com/newsite/inthenews/ ). Is it possible to make it so that the content section takes up more (say half) the space? Or to make it where it's still split in two but both sides are controlled by a content section? 5. Good! 6. I don't think I was clear --- I want to just change the font/hover color for one of the page links in the nav bar, not all of them. How would I do that? 7. Good! 8. I figured you might say that. It's not absolutely necessary, but it makes the URL messier. Instead of brandongaudin.com/butler it's brandongaudin.com/categories/butler. Is there a way to change that. If so, how would I remove the note at the top that says "you are viewing posts from the 'Butler' category"? Thanks again for your help. Greatly appreciated.

bryan-hadaway

1. `#primary-nav li {border-left:1px solid #DDD; border-top:1px solid #EEE;}` 4. You should look into making the video larger in the plugin/code settings and centering: `

video code
` 6. Use: ` #primary-nav .main-nav #menu-item-276 a:hover {background:#000;} #primary-nav ul.sf-menu #menu-item-276 a {color:#0088CC;} ` 8. http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/pathless-category-links/ Thanks, Bryan

brandongaudin

1. How do I get the line on top of the nav bar to extend all the way to the right and close on the side (so essentially I have a thin gray border all the way around the nav bar with thing gray dividing lines between the page names)?? 4. I need a title, text and video up for the feature...so selecting the "Full Width Image or Media - No Text" option won't work. It would be fine if I could embed the video in the "Feature Media HTML" section, but I don't know how to get the full code. When I embed the shortcode ([flv:/video/abc25butler.flv /test/demo.jpg 196 143]) it shows the actual shortcode and not the video. I've done research and looked through the plugin settings but can't come up with the full code. So, is there a way to make the text area take up 50% of the features space (rather than approx 25% as it does currently)?? Or an easier solution? 6. So I know for the future, how do you know what page corresponds to what menu item number? (ie 276 for 'Butler' page??) 8. This should work but then how would I remove the note at the top that says "you are viewing posts from the 'Butler' category"? Thank you.

cmunns

1. `#primary-nav ul.main-nav.nosearch {border:1px solid #DDD;}` 4. The full code as in the video? Does it have to be shortcode? We can use CSS once again if you need to modify this section to to make the text area 50%. ` #feature_slider .fcontent { width:50%; } ` 6. Honestly the easiest way is to view the source code and do a search ie "butler" so you can quickly see the html around it. 8. I'm not seeing this present right now.

brandongaudin

Ok, I'm good on #1 and #6. Several questions regarding the "features" (my features page is here: brandongaudin.com/newsite/inthemedia): 1. The "Feature Media HTML" box does not recognize plug-ins or plug-in shortcodes. It will embed youtube/vimeo/etc, but I was hoping to embed my own video and audio; however, when I enter the shortcode, it simply shows the text. Any way around this? 2. How do I change the text color and background color of the features links (on bottom of the feature area)? Along the same lines, how do I change the text/background color of the currently selected feature to differentiate it? 3. Is there a way to make the feature section adjust in height to fit the content for each feature differently? There will be a lot of white space on some of my features and it doesn't look good. If this is not possible, how do I adjust the feature height across all features? 4. For each feature, there seems to be an abnormally large gap of space between the "text box" on the left and the "Feature Media HTML" section on the right. Is this because there is a large amount of padding? I tried expanding the text box per your suggestion:

#feature_slider .fcontent { width:50%; }
Every time I increased the % (40%, 50% etc), it erased the material in the "Feature Media HTML" box. But when I leave it standard, there just seems to be too much blank space, which I'm trying to reduce (both vertically and horizontally). Regarding the "Butler" category page (brandongaudin.com/newsite/butler): I installed the "pathless category links" plug-in per Bryan's suggestion; however, now it says the page doesn't exist. Any idea as to why?? Thanks!

brandongaudin

Update: I still need all the "features" questions answered from previous post... In regards to the "Butler" category page (brandongaudin.com/newsite/butler), I got it working, but I see two issues: 1. The page displays the most recent Butler post, but above the post it gives you the option to click to the previous or following post, regardless of whether they are a "Butler" category post or not. Can't figure out why. 2. Also, I want the page to display like the home page but just with the "Butler" category posts. As it stands it just shows one post per time and has the option to click to the previous or following post (as mentioned in #1). Fixable?

brandongaudin

Ok, but I still want my homepage to be the main posts page where all posts go. I don't know how to make both pages (home and butler) be posts pages...and if there is a way, I can't seem to find a plugin that would allow me to filter certain posts to just one page (butler). I'm guessing there's not a simple way to plug-in code on the Butler page to instruct wordpress to just pull in Butler category posts without it being a category page?

Kate

@Brandon Improving the way custom templates are done in PageLines is definitely on the agenda for future relases, from what I understand. In the meantime, check out this post, along with the comment below it: http://justintadlock.com/archives/2009/03/15/query-posts-widget-wordpress-plugin http://justintadlock.com/archives/2009/03/15/query-posts-widget-wordpress-plugin#comment-156592 I think with those two things you may be able to achieve what you're going for. Hope it helps!

brandongaudin

@Kate - thank you very much for the suggestion. While that is an awesome widget(s), I don't think it's going to work. It doesn't display very clean. I want it to look in sync with magazine post layout from the home page. Here is the test page I set up, www.brandongaudin.com/newsite/widget. Any other ideas??? @Bryan - Awaiting anxiously for the "features" fixes from previous post (Thanks!):

Several questions regarding the "features" (my features page is here: brandongaudin.com/newsite/inthemedia): ------------ 1. The "Feature Media HTML" box does not recognize plug-ins or plug-in shortcodes. It will embed youtube/vimeo/etc, but I was hoping to embed my own video and audio; however, when I enter the shortcode, it simply shows the text. Any way around this? ------------ 2. How do I change the text color and background color of the features links (on bottom of the feature area)? Along the same lines, how do I change the text/background color of the currently selected feature to differentiate it? ------------ 3. Is there a way to make the feature section adjust in height to fit the content for each feature differently? There will be a lot of white space on some of my features and it doesn't look good. If this is not possible, how do I adjust the feature height across all features? ------------ 4. For each feature, there seems to be an abnormally large gap of space between the "text box" on the left and the "Feature Media HTML" section on the right. Is this because there is a large amount of padding? I tried expanding the text box per your suggestion: #feature_slider .fcontent { width:50%;} Every time I increased the % (40%, 50% etc), it erased the material in the "Feature Media HTML" box. But when I leave it standard, there just seems to be too much blank space, which I'm trying to reduce (both vertically and horizontally).

bryan-hadaway

Forwarding to developer... Thanks, Bryan

brandongaudin

Ok, thanks. Look forward to the responses. Two other things in the meantime: 1 - How do I put a line to the right of the last item in the nav bar so that it's closed off like the rest of the tabs? 2 - In magazine mode (like I have it now), the magazine posts at the bottom show who the author is (even though I have it de-selected). How do I fix this?

catrina

1. Add this code to the base.css file of the child theme (Platform Base):

#menu-nav, div.main-nav {border-right: 1px solid #ff0000;}
Change
1px
to the line width you want and
ff0000

to the color you want. 2. Are you referring to the author name in the list of blog posts on the main page or in individual post pages?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

brandongaudin

@ Catrina - thanks for trying to help. 1. I'm using the Platform Pro theme and this did not work. 2. Main page. It doesn't show up on the individual pages. Just shows up on the bottom 3 (magazine style) posts on main page.

Kate

@Brandon 1) Try this:

#nav_row li{border-left:0px;border-right:1px solid #eee;}
2) You can hide it with CSS:
.metabar .sword, .metabar .post-author{display:none;}

Let us know if you have any more questions.

brandongaudin

@Kate --- You rock. Both worked. Thank you. I still need the multiple features questions answered along with needing to find a solution to the "Butler" page. You tried to help me with the latter but as you see in my response above, it didn't work out. Bryan said he was forwarding some or all of those issues to a developer...any idea how long it typically takes for a response?

Kate

Hey Brandon - No problem... Happy to help! ;) As for the developer issue: I'll resend it. I'll check back as well to make sure you got a reply. We get a lot of e-mails, so sometimes things fall between the cracks. Thanks for your patience!

brandongaudin

@Kate - thanks for re-sending. I'll keep checking back. Hopefully the answer comes soon as I'm trying to finish up by the second week of Jan.

bryan-hadaway

Hi Brandon, Can you update us with a fresh list of what you're trying to do. We very well may be able to help with all of them, however it is possible that some items might be out of the scope of what we can provide here. Thanks, Bryan

brandongaudin

@ Bryan -- sure: Several questions regarding the "features" (my features page is here: brandongaudin.com/newsite/inthemedia): ------------ 1. The "Feature Media HTML" box does not recognize plug-ins or plug-in shortcodes. It will embed youtube/vimeo/etc, but I was hoping to embed some of my own video and audio (in addition to vimeo videos already embedded); however, when I enter the shortcode, it simply shows the text. Any way around this? ------------ 2. How do I change the text color and background color of the features links (on bottom of the feature area)? Along the same line, how do I change the text/background color of the currently selected feature to differentiate it? ------------ 3. Is there a way to make the feature section adjust in height to fit the content for each feature differently? There will be a lot of white space on some of my features and it doesn't look good. If this is not possible, how do I adjust the feature height across all features? ------------ 4. For each feature, there seems to be an abnormally large gap of space between the "text box" on the left and the "Feature Media HTML" section on the right. Is this because there is a large amount of padding? I tried expanding the text box per your suggestion: #feature_slider .fcontent { width:50%;} Every time I increased the % (40%, 50% etc), it erased the material in the "Feature Media HTML" box. But when I leave it standard, there just seems to be too much blank space, which I'm trying to reduce (both vertically and horizontally). -------------------------------------------------------------- In regards to the Butler page (brandongaudin.com/newsite/butler): I want this page to show only the "Butler" category posts without being a category page. I want the page's layout to be identical to the home posts page. You guys suggested just making it a category page and also gave me a workaround with a pair of plug-ins, but neither does what I need unfortunately (see previous notes in this thread). Is there code I can implement to make this work?

bryan-hadaway

Apologies for the wait: 1. Yes, you actually use a video embed code to embed your video(s) instead of the shortcode. What kind of files are they? 2. In Custom Code > Custom CSS; - Feature link color and background color: ` #feature #feature_slider .fcontent a span.featurelink{ color:#000; background:#fff} ` - Feature text color and background color: ` #feature #feature_slider .fcontent{ color:#000; background:#fff none} ` 3. This will be a judgment call on your part of what looks good: `#feature{height:200px}` 4. Here's the feature content padding as it is now, you can adjust as you see fit: ` #feature #feature_slider .fcontent .dcol-pad{ height:270px; padding:40px 30px 20px} ` Butler Issue: Found on the WordPress website looks like a promising solution in the right direction: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/show-only-x-category-posts-on-page?replies=9#post-1053767 Will likely need more work here. Thanks, Bryan

brandongaudin

1. The audio files will all be mp3. The video files flv and mp4 (unless you have a better suggestion for universally accepted video formats). 2. Sorry, I must have confused you. Those aren't the "links" I was referring to. I've taken a screenshot and pointed an arrow to the links I want to edit: http://www.brandongaudin.com/newsite/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/feature_links.jpg I want to know how to change the text color and background color of the active and inactive links. 3. When I try this, all it does is move the content below the features section. It doesn't do anything to change the height of the feature section itself. Here is a screenshot of what happened when I changed it to #feature{height:200px}: http://www.brandongaudin.com/newsite/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/feature_height.jpg 4. I tried editing the padding numbers but nothing changes. Also what do the three separate numbers represent? I'm assuming the first number is for padding on left, second for middle and third for right side? And what about the height number? 5 (Butler page). Sorry but this is way over my coding head. My knowledge base is strange since I've learned everything about websites the past year by guess and check. I tried a few suggestions and googled some others but it kept messing up and I was scared to screw things up royally when I'm this close to being done. If someone could give me some specific directions on what code to past where, I'd be okay.

Andrew

@Brandon, can you please make your future responses more concise? what exactly can we help you solve here?