Sign in to follow this  
ideric

BUG: Child Navigation Menu Items

ideric

If you have a page in a wp menu that has children, PP displays the children even when they are not included in the menu. I could enabled the 'Hide Sub Navigation' setting, but then that would hide sub-pages that I specifically added into the wp menu. I tested this with the primary navigation location.

bryan-hadaway

Let's get a link so we can replicate the issue. Thanks, Bryan

ideric

Bryan, the current project I am working on is in dev. I can share a temporary administrator account with you. What is your email address?

ericmyers

Eric, Please email hello@pagelines.com with access details and we'll take a look into the issue and have Andrew (Theme Developer) look at it!

Kate

@Eric Sorry for the delay. I'll check the e-mail again.

Kate

@Eric I logged into your account, and tried to replicate the issue. However, I wasn't able to. These are the steps I took, and the result: I went to "Appearance->Menus". I chose the "June" menu, which has menu items listed that also have "sub-menu" items. Structurally, (not in the WP menu), these sub-menu items also have children. (Grandchildren of the top level menu items.) I then enabled this menu as the "Primary Navigation". I also went to "PlatformPro->Settings" and enabled "Enable Dropdown Navigation". When I refreshed the page, only the items listed in the custom WP menu appeared. Hopefully that helps.

ideric

@Kate: I am not sure why, but the 'primary' menu is showing child menu items. Unfortunately, there are no child menu items set in the WP menu. For whatever reason (a bug), the theme wants to continue showing a child menu items regardless. Do you not see this as well? If you visit the 'June 2011 Retreat' page, you will see children menu items displayed (even though they are not assigned in the 'Primary' WP menu).

bryan-hadaway

`#header #subnav_row{display:none}` Drop that in Custom Code > Custom CSS and it should fix it right up for you. Thanks, Bryan

ideric

@Bryan: The problem is that Pagelines is displaying menu items even when they are not included into the assigned menu. The proper functionality would be to display no child menu items, because none are assigned (using the WordPress Menus manager).

Andrew

Eric, this doesn't work because of the way the menu manager works... Will subnav pages, you can either hide them from navigation using a plugin or turn off the sub navigation completely. The subnav uses the hierarchy (*e.g. parent/child pages) you assign when creating pages.

ideric
Eric, this doesn't work because of the way the menu manager works...
Andrew, are you referring to the WP Menu Manager or how Pagelines treats the Menu Manager? The idea behind the WP Menu Manager is to create a CUSTOM menu, regardless of page relationships set in the Page Editor. So if I add a page in the menu, it will only be displayed (even if it has children set in the page editor). Am I missing something?
New Custom Menu Management feature, allows creation of custom menus combining posts, pages, categories, tags, and links for use in theme menus or widgets.
http://codex.wordpress.org/Version_3.0

Andrew
Am I missing something?
Yes. The menu system doesn't support sub-navigation in a reasonable way so we create one based on hierarchy. The hierarchy can only be used in ul/li context... e.g. drop downs... If you come up with a better solution, let me know.

ordermindsovermediacom

I'm having the same issue - you can see at http://www.absolutecomfort.com - under the About--> Service Areas--> then the child menu item In Pagelines themes, I was able to exclude pages showing up in the Nav Menu in the header.php file with the page id, but not sure if there is a way to do it since you can't in the Menu settings.

Kate

Hi David - Are you using a custom menu ("Appearance->Menus")? Or the default menus?

ordermindsovermediacom

I setup a custom menu in the Appearance-->Menus. However, it appears setting up a menu in here has no effect on what appears on the page. Unless I'm missing something about activating it. Thanks.

cmunns

Just to clarify here because there seems to be confusion. There is a main-nav and a subnav in the header of the site. PlatformPro uses WP menu for the main-navigation when setup, however when you set a hierarchy in WP menus by dragging them in the order that will effectively setup dropdowns... THe subnav on the other hand is ONLY controlled by the traditional method of parent/child relationship and not by a WP MEnu since it needs to be dynamic based on the page you are on. Can we all confirm that this knowledge is known?

Kate

@cmunns For David's site, based on the link, I was under the impression he meant the main nav, thus my suggestion. I may have misunderstood.

ordermindsovermediacom

Yes I understand. Just looking for a way to not have the child nav in the sub nav from showing up on the menu bar. On the other Pagelines themes this was accomplished by excluding pages with the page id code in the header.php file. However, there doesn't seem to be a way to do this in PlatformPro. If there is please advise. Thanks.

intellagentz

David, Would this help? Great site by the way. What are you using for the carousel feature on your home page? NexGen?

bryan-hadaway

Again, if the Header And Nav option isn't working simply add: `#header #subnav_row{display:none}` Drop that in Custom Code > Custom CSS and it should fix it right up for you. If it doesn't work let me know so I can look further. Thanks, Bryan

ordermindsovermediacom

Bryan, I entered the code you provided - #header #subnav_row{display:none} This didn't work You can see a live example of what I'm talking about at this website http://absolutecomfort.com/ - under the About --> Service Areas tab. Thanks.

Kate

@David In this case it would be:

.children .children{display:none;}
Or, if you want to target just the dropdown of that menu item:
.page-item-219 .children .children{display:none;}

However, to be honest, I'm still not clear if you tried the custom menu option or not. That may be another route ;) Hope that helps.