Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

claudedagenais

WPML & admin bar

claudedagenais

Hi,

We're using WPML on a project and we are using it with two different domains, one for each language. In this setup, it is documented that Wordpress's admin bar will only be visible in the main language. Normally this would be a problem. But with PL5, since the menu to edit the page are only present in the admin bar and that we have no shortcuts that I know of this is a problem because I cannot edit the pages in the secondary language or access the other options offered in the admin bar.

So could you implement either shortcut for the menus or have a way to have access optionally to the PL5 specific menus somewhere else than in the admin bar.

Some link to the WPML support about that problem:

I've opened a topic with WPML : https://wpml.org/forums/topic/wpml-different-domains-per-language-how-to-display-admin-bar-2/

claudedagenais

I just want to add that I got the following answer from WPML confirming that it would be great to have an alternative in PL5:

Sorry for the misunderstanding. You're right. It does not work that way.

This is not a bug. They are two domains and so are two different cookies. For this reason, a domain appears logged in and another does not.

Unfortunately, at the moment, we do not have a workaround for this. This is on our list of requested features, but we do not have a deadline of when or if this will be added in WPML.

Again, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Please let me know if I can help in any other question you may have.

Simon

just add this to the end of your url

?pl_edit=on&pl_start=yes

claudedagenais

In fact this doesn't work since Wordpress doesn't know you're log in under the second domain name. So if I add it the the end of the URL all it does is bring the login screen. And if I fill the login information I'm brought back to the first language side without possibilities to get the menu bar in the second language. I can do a screen cap, but as Bruno from WPML wrote there is a set of cookies per domain name and Wordpress doesn't see me a logged in the second language. So I can't access the PL5 menu either.

Simon

surely you can log into the second domain in a 2nd browser.

claudedagenais

No. Impossible.

Simon

Which part is impossible?

claudedagenais

All of it. I cannot log in the other language period. In another browser or not. Do you want to try it? I can give you access again if it help.

The only work around this currently is to change the way WPML select the other language URL from using different domains to using a subdirectory. Eg going from

• French always tourismesutton.ca
  • English from suttontourism.ca to tourismesutton.ca/en

Doing this on a live site brakes all the hardcoded links until we go back to using two different domain.

Simon

If you have no way to even log into WordPress in the 2nd lang then there is absolutely no way you can access any PL tools.

claudedagenais

That is what I was under the impression. But I was wondering if you could find a work around to have access to the tools some other way that would ne be affected by that - a temporary solution that we could turn off as soon as we are done.

It is a very specific problem - I only see that it can affect sites using WPML using more then one domain on a single implementation of Wordpress. So I would understand that it would not be a priority to anyone, but I'm asking just in case...

Anyhow this is another limitation of WPML, and one day I'll just drop it to go multisite even if my implementations are relatively small...

Simon

The tools absolutely depend on the author being logged in, not only for the admin bar but to check for roles, security etc.

claudedagenais

Well then that's that. Thanks again Simon for your patience with me.