Sign in to follow this  
ideric

Multiple Primary Navigation Menus

bryan-hadaway

You could do a custom menu from: Appearance > Widgets Thanks, Bryan

ideric

Hmm, I created two separate menus via the wp menu manager. I then set one of those as the primary. I am not sure I understand how I can use Widgets to swap out the menu if they are a particular page on my site. I looked over the 'Template Setup' section in PP and didn't see a way to set anything useful. I noticed the 'Navigation' block has some hook locations, but I am not sure if I hook into it with the wp_nav_menu function that it would overwrite what is currently there. Maybe I am mistaken?

bryan-hadaway

Yeah, my earlier suggestion won't help at all, I see what you're trying to do now. What would need to be done is a conditional PHP tag basically to say if so and so make it this menu, if every other make it this menu. I don't know how complicated this might be. I'll forward to developers to see if they can help easily. Thanks, Bryan

ideric

Great, thank you Bryan. In short, I am looking to have a default primary menu as usual with a alternative primary menu on certain pages.

cmunns

So depending on the pages the main menu will be the same, but the navigation items in it will change? Can you provide links to your site? and please give more details. We might be able to do it with CSS or we'll have to write a PHP conditional but based on how much has to change we'll see.

ideric

For all page ids, except 5, 6, 7, use menu id 1 as the primary menu. For page ides 5, 6, or 7, use menu id 2 as the primary menu. I guess I am looking to overwrite the default menu functionality of the theme. Here is a visual example from the SMX website. Here is the main section of their website: http://searchmarketingexpo.com/blog/ See the main navigation? It is the most top level, from the 'Our Company' point-of-view. Here is a sub-section from their website: http://searchmarketingexpo.com/west/ This section is all about a particular topic, SMX West. So they make a separate navigation the PRIMARY navigation. Hope that makes sense!

cmunns

Lots of times for expos like this they have a separate install of a website, it looks the same, but it's completely separate and installed on a sub-directory to keep content separate. That is just an idea, do you have an actual link to the site you are working on?

ideric

Yep, I am sure they do. I was simply using their website as an example of the effect I am trying to achieve. I can see that this theme does not support such functionality, nor does this forum have the experience to shed any useful insight. I will just custom write something through experimentation. If I figure it out, I will post my solution here for anyone who comes across it looking for the same thing.

bryan-hadaway

We can assist usually above and beyond what other support communities would consider within reason, but we cannot actually get in there and do the work for you for free. Because of the high demand for advanced customization such as your current task we created: http://www.pagelines.com/pros/ Thanks, Bryan