Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

reklov79

From DMS to Platform 5 & Bugs

reklov79

Hi all,

I started yesterday switching our https://www.advatera.com to Platform 5. Here are my first impressions, I hope it helps the one or other - and maybe you can also help out with figuring out some bugs I experienced.

The process I take (actually I am still working on it)

• I made a full dev copy of our website to a sublevel ("new.advatera..." - don't want to write it fully as I don't want to have search engines indexing it).
    • https://codex.wordpress.org/Running_a_Development_Copy_of_WordPress
    • By the way, the biggest problem here was a 1064 sql error when chaning the URLs in the WordPress database. Has nothing to do with PageLInes - but I saw many others in other forums stumble upon that, so I mention it. It took me hours to figure out till I realized that's a phpmyadmin issue - simply do the necessary SQL queries directly via SSH on the server and it works

• Installed Platform 5 plugin and Framework theme - that worked very smooth, the Pro licence was immediatly recognized

• Made a Child theme as we have in functions.php some hooks for other plugins, like Gravity forms
  • Switched on the child theme and turned off Pagelines DMS plugins and the theme.

• Now having the DMS page open and trying to rebuild the sections in Platform 5
    • The core page layout is easy to migrate
    • When it comes to extensions, it becomes a hassle - as many extensions lack features compared to DMS sections

My experience after the first day:

• Installation is smooth
  • Using the framework and platform is smooth as well
  • It runs a lot quicker in the admin than DMS, which is also one of the reasons why I thought I try it out
  • But: many extensions have bugs (mostly strange CSS habits) - which mostly results in making the areas on your own (for example using the Views plugin from wp-types/Toolset, https://wp-types.com/home/views-create-elegant-displays-for-your-content/) to make a loop instead of using the loop extension

• MegaNav: for whatever reason the logo gets very big when you resize to a very small screen. Something wrong with the responsive breakpoints here.

• Boxes section: when using 'media at left' and icon and you minimize the screen to phone or small tablet size, the boxes are laying above each other. There is no seperate CSS we load, it is all platform 5 and framework standard, so it can't be a interference of our CSS. Now I used 3 box sections which each just one box (instead of 1 box section with 3 boxes how it should be) - then it works better.

• Also Boxes section: it shows the counter although disabled and also a strange ]]>*/ - interestingly just in the live version, not in the backend
      boxes.PNG

• Sitemap Footer- looks good at the beginning but quickly you realize, it is too less flexible (compared to the comparable DMS section) - for example recent articles are missing. Did that now with a wp-type view in a simple container.

• Elements section - the standard styles are really kind of problematic. A callout will never easily look like a callout at DMS - you split the width between text area and button area 50/50 which leads into strange formatting (two lines of text on the lift, one button with much space arount on the right). Also there are several responsive design issues in the standard css (I had for example to take out the no-wrap for button texts - otherwise the whole button was stuck and did not break).

• Lax section has just a very basic parallax, functions you had in DMS are missing (like box becomes smaller when scrolling etc.)

• Flyquotes: resizeing has problems together with the LAX section below, if there are in one statement more lines than in the other one.

• The Loop extension is just a list of bugs. Thumbnail images don't work - I tried all settings like in the documentation, none is working (I know, others complained already). Pagination does not work when the loop is not used as main loop in the main area. And why can't we turn of pagination? My solution: using wp-types view, making a view (work time: 5 to 10 minutes) and calling it from a embed area.

• The LESS/CSS field works technically fine for making changes, although a bit small. But: if you set up a style sheet in the child theme it is loaded before all the styles of the extension - and mostly you want to change one of the styles of an extension with it. Sure, I can somehow add an extra stylesheet file and trigger somewhere else, later, to load it (for example through the LESS/CSS box). Anyhow, a nicer and cleaner way of overriding extensions css would be appriciated.

• From the feeling the selection of the scope works fine. Anyhow, I still have issues understanding scope and templates and how they should be best used, especially in a multi-language environment (I need different looking start pages for different languages, the same content layout for all languages but of course different texts (like logo subline in current language etc.), some specific layout for event pages / landing pages). An down-to-earth, practical, easy to understand explanation of that including visual examples is missing in the documentation (or I did not find it). This would be highly important as it is a key issue when setting up pages to get that right from the beginning. I have the feeling that you need to learn that by experimenting around - thats not how it should be. There need to be blueprints in the documentation which people understand and can reuse for their own pages (like how to deal with templates in a multi-language environment, ...).
    • Also a visual guidance in which scope you are right now, is missing (on a elements basis)

• In general the documentation, especially the videos about extensions, are basic. They don't touch the real issues you come across when using those extensions. They are more an advertisment rather than training.

So, what is my impression for now: especially the standard CSS styles are kind of problematic. It looks a bit they are optimized for the pagelines.com with a very simply design, with a lot of space around it - so they might work there. In other real life projects they are way more problematic than the DMS styles were. Also many comparable extensions lack of basic options which were used at the comparable DMS sections.

In general I am not so happy of somehow needing to move to platform 5 from DMS as it involves extra work. I don't want to stick to a legacy software too, so it seems we need to do the work to migrate. Some advantages (faster admin, in general the feeling of having a cleaner code compared to DMS) are there. But some things still need to be optimized.

Cheers,

Volker

Simon

Do you have an example page with the strange ]]> ? I just searched all our repos for that code and couldnt find it anywhere.

reklov79

Here you are:

https:// new .advatera.com

I did not investigate, just took a quick look now. Seems to be linked to a wordpress issue adding CDATA tags when switching between visual and html mode (of course in the pagelines editor, not the wordpress one - but could be the same?). Which I guess I did in these boxes to add the link.

https://wordpress.org/support/topic/why-is-the-editor-adding

Does not explain why the counter shows up although it shouldn't.

Andrew

Platform 5 is going to be the last generation platform from PageLines.. this means it wont need upgrading. (this is the advantage of platform approach)

Lets split out your individual issues into other thread and we can address, many current sections were developed for PL.com because we've decided to release anything we make. In the future, we'll be adding a lot more user driven extensions.

Simon
2 hours ago, reklov79 said:

Here you are:

https:// new .advatera.com

I did not investigate, just took a quick look now. Seems to be linked to a wordpress issue adding CDATA tags when switching between visual and html mode (of course in the pagelines editor, not the wordpress one - but could be the same?). Which I guess I did in these boxes to add the link.

https://wordpress.org/support/topic/why-is-the-editor-adding

Does not explain why the counter shows up although it shouldn't.

You are putting javascript in the box content area?

reklov79
On 11.4.2016 at 8:54 PM, Simon said:

You are putting javascript in the box content area?

Not that I am aware of. Just a <a href...

Simon

Can you open a ticket and provide a login so i can see whats going on.

• Similar Content

• MrFent
      By MrFent+
      I wanted to share something I'm dealing with on my PageLines 5 website. The website is culturedfoodlife.com. I've seen this issue a few times, but it's always fixed itself without me really doing much, so I don't know how to troubleshoot. It'll start out with my page loading all wonky, due to scripts and stylesheets missing. I look at the page source, and towards the top, I see this line:
      <link rel='dns-prefetch' href='//www.group-ib.ru' />
      I have no idea what that website is, or why it's loading that line of code, and then further down, I see it again as the domain that tries to load all of my pagelines section style scripts:
      <link rel='stylesheet' id='pl-pins-css' href='https://www.group-ib.ru/…/plugins/pl-section-pins/style.css…' type='text/css' media='screen' />
      <script type='text/javascript' src='https://www.group-ib.ru/…/pl-sect…/script.infinitescroll.js…'></script>
      <script type='text/javascript' src='https://www.group-ib.ru/…/plugi…/pl-section-pins/isotope.js…'></script>
      <script type='text/javascript' src='https://www.group-ib.ru/wp-conte…/…/pl-section-pins/pins.js…'></script>
      Here's a screenshot: https://www.screencast.com/t/Nqk9YglUf
      So I get that this is why it's not displaying correctly on the front end, because these style scripts don't exist on group-ib.ru, and I have no idea why it's inserting group-ib.ru instead of my domain culturedfoodlife.com.It makes me think I'm being hacked. This seems to be affecting the styles and scripts of pagelines sections. Other plugins on my site load their scripts with the correct domain name.

When I've seen this in the page, it usually fixes itself after a few minutes, but in this last case, it didn't fix itself until I started disabling plugins. I was trying to see if I could go through each plugin one by one to see if I could fine out anything. I disabled everything but all my pagelines plugins/sections, and the issue went away. Then when I re-enabled everything, the issue was still gone. So now I'm clueless as how to keep testing this. Any suggestions?
      The fact that disabling every plugin EXCEPT the pagelines plugins kind of make me think that the issue isn't with pagelines, but then again when the issue occurs, why does it only affect pagelines sections? Andrew Powers I could use some insight. Thanks.
    • jharri74
      By jharri74
      Hello, I want to create a form where a visitor can submit content/post from the front end. I did something very similar some years back using wp-types, CRED form with pagelines DMS. When i try to set this up in Platform 5, the CRED form generates but doesn't show. I get a blank page. In the browser's console window, i get the error: Uncaught Error: You cannot apply bindings multiple times to the same element.
      When i deactivate the PL plugin and change the theme, the form appears.
      I'm using Wordpress 4.8.2 and PL 5.1.7
      Thanks.
    • Bill Bernat
      By Bill Bernat+
      Hi, I'm using a series of Loops sections on our PL5 site (insights.adaptiva.com), and on one section, I'd ideally like the loops to link to external URLs that are defined in the post in WordPress. Is that possible?
    • uniworks
      By uniworks+
      Running WordPress 4.8.1  Unable to update to new versions of Pageline plugins (6 total). 
    • Steve Webb
      By Steve Webb+
      I am having an issue with DMS editor not loading.  Just keeps spinning and spinning.
      Have tried several things - Logged in and out, cleared cache, deactivated all plugins, but the issue persists.
      I even had our host restore from a backup a few weeks ago, when I know it WAS working, as I edited a text box on the homepage.  The restore from backup didn't help either.
      Also, the front end of the site shows that the site is framed, or boxed now (whatever you call it), instead of full width as it was previously (last week).
      Dev console shows that there are php errors in Google maps - file is attached.
      Can someone please help?  Not sure what else I can do here...
      Thanks in advance.
      -Matt