Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kevinpaffrath

Current vs 100% Java: Concerns?

kevinpaffrath

Hi Pagelines Community,

What are the downsides of going 100% Java in the new Pagelines?

Here's the thing: I'm not a programmer. I was only good at hacking my highschool's network to play video games during my Java classes back in the day. Needless to say, I barely know programing -- but can get by with basic coding (thank you Pagelines for doing the rest). However, I'm under the impression that a lot of platforms are 'anti Java.' For instance, Apple's push towards HTML5. My thinking might be totally outdated; I don't study coding as much as I should.

Anyway, could anyone help me shed some light on this? Why do I feel concerned / bad about 100% Java? Maybe it's just "dev-side" and not client-side.

Bah, I'm sorry; clueless here.

Kevin

www.MeetKevin.com

jacecar

Unless I've missed the mark completely, the transition from current to 100% java is a good thing -- even for non-developers.  The reasons for this are varied, but it boils down to performance and malleability/customization.

Let's say that DMS and Platform 5 are 100% equal in terms of performance.  I don't believe they are -- because one of the goals of Platform 5 is to improve performance -- but for sake of argument, let's say they are.

Currently, DMS uses a lot of code, but certain sections are more static.  This means that to get around those static portions they want to change, developers need to write a lot more code -- far more code than would be needed if they could just change that static feature directly.  More code (in this case) equals a degradation in performance.  Something that might take 10 lines of code could well take 100 lines or more, merely to work around a static object that isn't adjustable.

Conversely, Platform 5 won't have any of those static limitations, so something that would require 10 lines of code costs...  well, 10 lines of code.

For a non-developer this might seem daunting, but it won't be.  The same widgets, boxes, themes, and so forth will still be there, so we can create and maintain WP websites with approximately the same effort we have always put into a good site.  And if we need a developer to help "fix" something, it won't be a major deal, and will probably cost us less to hire them.  They'll be able to jump into the code, find what we need to change, and fix it in a straightforward manner.  They won't have to perform major surgery to get around a static object that's in the way -- they'll be able to see the problem/request and be able to do something about it right away.

To be honest, I haven't seen Platform 5 yet, but I have designed and written a lot of major software systems over the years.  Any average system that allows me to dig into and change it (at the code level) is far better than a superior package that offers limited access to how it works.  For years now, software packages have offered API's so we can write code and interface with them while leaving the core system intact.  That's all well and good... but a system that allows direct access to its source code -- and won't kill us for messing with it -- offers unlimited potential.

Hey, PageLines guys -- don't make me regret what I've said here.  Give us a good system, show us how to use it, and wait for the fireworks!

>jace

@Jacecar

me@jacecar.com