Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shawnsaunders

Shortcodes in PL5

shawnsaunders

In DMS one of my favorite features was the use of shortcodes within the PL Next Box.  Is there any quick and easy way to use short codes to create buttons and other features in PL5?  I assumed it would be an option with the Embed section, but I am not having any luck.   Any guidance is appreciated. 

[pl_buttondropdown type="default" size="small" label="Default"]

JudithKlinger

+chrisayesrs...you give good video! 

What about creating custom classes for Pl5 loops? How/where do we do that? On the child theme? 

chrisayers
On 1/14/2016 at 2:31 PM, JudithKlinger said:

+chrisayesrs...you give good video! 

What about creating custom classes for Pl5 loops? How/where do we do that? On the child theme? 

Depends on whether you want a single solution or a re-usable one. I am adding a custom.css file somewhere on the web does not even need to be on the site in the import css head tags. I also add bootstrap there.

Aires and I have both written about custom CSS and our findings. I will be happy to share via a PM or a new thread.

JudithKlinger
1 hour ago, chrisayers said:

Depends on whether you want a single solution or a re-usable one. I am adding a custom.css file somewhere on the web does not even need to be on the site in the import css head tags. I also add bootstrap there.

Aires and I have both written about custom CSS and our findings. I will be happy to share via a PM or a new thread.

I'm betting a new thread would help others as well. Your generous help is always appreciated!

micstepl

are there more shortcodes available than "only Buttons" ?

JudithKlinger
On 1/15/2016 at 4:24 PM, JudithKlinger said:

I'm betting a new thread would help others as well. Your generous help is always appreciated!

Did you start a thread? I need reusable CSS. I'm using Shortcode Ultimate to create custom classes, but I don't love it. And that's putting it mildly. 

Simon

Maybe an ultimate PL5 sticky snippets post in the forums is in order.. 

then any css/js php or whatever gems can be added to the post and it can be a sticky, thoughts?

chrisayers
2 hours ago, Simon said:

Maybe an ultimate PL5 sticky snippets post in the forums is in order.. 

then any css/js php or whatever gems can be added to the post and it can be a sticky, thoughts?

I like this idea.... Kind of like the show us your site but show us your snippets.

Gavin_

The OP is asking about using Bootstrap generated shortcodes - the example is a dropdown button (menu style) - as Bootsrap is no more so are the shortcodes. 

however within PL5 are lots of goodies - one is PL5 has buttons - is there an intention to create shortcodes for them?

<a class="pl-btn pl-btn-primary pl-btn-lg" href="https://www.yourlink.com">My LInk<i class="pl-icon pl-icon-caret-right"></i></a>

so pl-btn-primary can be changed - does it follow the old bootstrap options? warning, info etc ? 
pl-btn-lg can be  pl-btn-small or medium ? 

micstepl

Why don´t you implement in the ShortCodes pane

Once the pane opens (see attachment)

• make buttons > with respektive top-Up to configure
  • genervte a "human" shortcodes (to get raid of all the css jung in Loop (like Bootstrab)
  • genervte: eg.: [pl_logo_img href="#" title="#"]

ShortCodes.jpg

janpeeters

@micstepl It looks like you want to implement this into the Pages or Posts shortcode dropdown. But what about other sections? A plugin would be great that does both. It can be used in most of the sections that allow for text entry and adds the shortcodes like suggested above.

micstepl

@janpeeters I den´t unterstand what you are saying / asking. Could you please be more specific?

janpeeters

@micstepl Your screenshot suggests that it's implemented in the shortcode dropdown in the page/post editor. For me that is too narrow. Shortcodes should also be available in other sections (text, elements, boxes etc) So I suggest to use a plugin that adds shortcodes in general and also for convenience adds this to the shortcode dropdown like you're suggesting.

micstepl

@janpeeters - YES, Jan! I do fully agree what you are saying !!!

• I have already suggested that several months ago ....  unheared :(
  • The current trigger for this screenshot like solution was:"I seem to be loosing a customer, besause he wants to have a "BOOTSTRAP like" solution on EDITOR-level within posts/pages" to create more sexy content on a personal level.
  • The trigger is:
    •  a "BOOTSTRAP" > replacement
    • to bring back > "DMS like shortcodes" in PL5
    • to > eliminate the BOOTSRAD "Code Mess"
  • I agree that my suggested solution is one level too low
    • but if it´s one level higher in PL5 + Plugin
    • it also needs to be available on Post level with Edit rights

This is actually quite urgent I think. Many of the questions I see, addressed at PL-Support, are such simple coding questions they were used to see in DMS and competes with "bootsrap" like things in customer minds

I believe this would be a big advantage & differentiation to PL

janpeeters

Hi @micstepl I tend to remember that @chrisayers posted a tip (either here or on Facebook) how to be able to use the bootstrap shortcodes in PL5. That might help you out for now.

I think 'unheard' is a bit of an assumption. I guess @Andrew And @Simon Are up to there heads in various things that need to be available before going live. So it might be a matter of priority.

micstepl
Just now, janpeeters said:

Hi @micstepl I tend to remember that @chrisayers posted a tip (either here or on Facebook) how to be able to use the bootstrap shortcodes in PL5. That might help you out for now.

I think 'unheard' is a bit of an assumption. I guess @Andrew And @Simon Are up to there heads in various things that need to be available before going live. So it might be a matter of priority.

@janpeeters , the tip @chrisayers posted was nice but the fact is with bootstrap that BOOTSARA & PL5 are fightig against each other (what Chris also posted). It ends up in a unmanageable "font size war" all over the place.

@not heared .... I am certain what you are saying and agree that the guys are douing a dremendougly great job !!!!  What I wanted do say is, that I do not have feedback - so I don´t know.

janpeeters

@micstepl Ah I wasn't aware of this war hahaha, so not a good idea then.

chrisayers

The only major battle with Bootstrap and PL5 is the fonts. Rest seems fine. The other shortcodes are all there in the Pagelines shortcodes buttons. 

chrisayers

http://getbootstrap.com/getting-started/   http://getbootstrap.com/components/ http://getbootstrap.com/css/

EVERY SHORT CODE IN DMS WAS BORROWED FROM HERE. 

Go to PageLines/Settings/Advanced
Copy paste this.

<!-- Latest compiled and minified CSS -->
<link rel="stylesheet" href="https://maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com/bootstrap/3.3.6/css/bootstrap.min.css" integrity="sha384-1q8mTJOASx8j1Au+a5WDVnPi2lkFfwwEAa8hDDdjZlpLegxhjVME1fgjWPGmkzs7" crossorigin="anonymous">

<!-- Optional theme -->
<link rel="stylesheet" href="https://maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com/bootstrap/3.3.6/css/bootstrap-theme.min.css" integrity="sha384-fLW2N01lMqjakBkx3l/M9EahuwpSfeNvV63J5ezn3uZzapT0u7EYsXMjQV+0En5r" crossorigin="anonymous">

<!-- Latest compiled and minified JavaScript -->
<script src="https://maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com/bootstrap/3.3.6/js/bootstrap.min.js" integrity="sha384-0mSbJDEHialfmuBBQP6A4Qrprq5OVfW37PRR3j5ELqxss1yVqOtnepnHVP9aJ7xS" crossorigin="anonymous"></script>

Save changes

Now you can use anything bootstrap can do.

chrisayers

Instead of using shortcodes for everything try using real code. It is generally only a little longer and you are copy paste anyway. Shortcodes are slang for software. Occasionally you got to use your big boy words.

micstepl
6 minutes ago, chrisayers said:

Instead of using shortcodes for everything try using real code. It is generally only a little longer and you are copy paste anyway. Shortcodes are slang for software. Occasionally you got to use your big boy words.

Thanks for your response, but sorry, @chrisayers ... but if you say "only fonts" ... this is kind of funny :) ... if fonts fall all over the place this is no workable solution at all!

Is there any solution that solves the FONT ISSUE with Bootstrap?

(Using code:  I agree for a developer! ....  But not for a client at all :()

chrisayers

Guys. If you want to really use shortcodes then just make a section. There is no difference between a Jumbotron and a Hero.

jumbotron.png

chrisayers

And is it really so hard to write a CSS stylesheet to override the bootstrap fonts?

h1 {
    letter-spacing: 2px;
    font-size: whatever I want px;
}

h2 {

}

This is really no drama guys... Just go learn some basic CSS again cause you asked them to take it all out.

micstepl
Just now, chrisayers said:

And is it really so hard to write a CSS stylesheet to override the bootstrap fonts?

h1 {
}

h2 {

}

This is really no drama guys... Just go learn some basic CSS again cause you asked them to take it all out.

@chrisayers ... I agree, and I did that anyways (what you said above)  .... but let me explain:

adding the "short code" you described in header 

• resulted in > that all the PL5 font went smaller (some yes, some not) :( 

Changing that

• by adding the "h" styles in CSS 
  • this corrected the PL5 font back to normal :) 

B U T ...... :(:(:( 

• all BOOTSTRAB CODE added in content
  • this "reverted back" all above changes to "Bootstrab font sitzes" (back to square one)
  • specifically on base font

GAME OVER ... you cannot re-change what has already be changed a second time.