Sign in to follow this  
bamankwata

Customizing feature area

bamankwata

Hey guys, Although i really love the feature slider that comes with platform pro, I would prefer that it were not running the full width of the page so i could put a navigation menu on the side of it. Is this possible and how do I go about it. Thanks

catrina

It's possible with some tweaking in the files. If you plan on having the navigation menu on the side of it, does that mean you want to take the existing main navigation bar and re-format it so that it's a vertical list?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

bamankwata

Catrina thanks for the reply. No I am just going to use a menu style navigation on the side. Can you explain further how this tweaking can be done?

bryan-hadaway

Let's get a link so I can test this. Thanks, Bryan

bamankwata

My website is not live yet. I notice there are css selector options for the feature slider. How d those work, I believe I could improvise arround those. A good example of what I am trying to achieve is the home page lay out at Quality health... http://www.qualityhealth.com/#1

Kate

@Benjamin If you just want it on the home page, something like this should do it:

.home #feature_slider{width:600px;}
	.home #sidebar-wrap{margin-top:-420px;}

If that doesn't work, feel free to post back, perhaps at least with a screenshot. Thanks, Kate

heroescourse

Kate, Thanks for the tip! I tried this and it worked to shrink the slider...just can't figure out how to add the sidebar to the right of the feature.? this is what I added into the Custom CSS gadget in Platform Pro: #sidebar-wrap {background-color: #F5F5F5;} .home #feature_slider{width:600px;} .home #sidebar-wrap{margin-top:-420px;} and I added #feature_slider{width:600px;} at the bottom of pro.css. Any ideas? Thanks! Stephen

bryan-hadaway

This is very difficult to test without the site being live. Do you have hosting yet? Is there anyway you can set this up so we can see and test. Otherwise we're working in the dark a bit. Thanks, Bryan

heroescourse

Ahh! I keep forgetting to put in the website link. www.helpvetsnow.org It's on BlueHost. Thanks! Stephen

bamankwata

Stephen, did you get any help with that. I would like to send a screen shot but there is no way to do that through this form, however visually its just the default template with a full width feature box. All I want to do is float it right, have it be about 70% of the width and put a widgetized side bar on the leftside. I have been able to modify the width and float it right. How do I have a contingent sidebar on the same level right next to the feature slider. Can anyone help?

bamankwata

Would modifying the css of the universal sidebar be a way to achieve this

cmunns

This might work, but you also have to consider that this is a CSS hack and will 1) clip your feature images on the right side and 2) create a lot of whitespace where your sidebar used to be, which may or may not be a problem...just throwing it out there. If you're unsure about your css benjamin, find a way to post a link to a live version