Sign in to follow this  
princeofwhales

NextGen images in carousel stacking vertically

princeofwhales

I have the iblog pro with the image carousel loaded at the top of the pages for gallery view. Some of the carousels are bugging up by stacking the images on top of one another rather then horizontally and I don't have a clue as to how to fix this. I just went to add more photos and this is what it looked like (should display about 32 pictures) Here is a live view of the problem: http://www.princeofwhales.com/wildlife/transients/ Thank you

catrina

In the Carousel Settings, have you tried changing the number of the images scrolled in one click? (Carousel Settings > Scrolled Carousel Items > Change the number in the "Items to scroll" box)

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

princeofwhales

Thanks Catrina, I tried that but it doesn't work. For a split second the images flash horizontally before then stacking vertically.

catrina

I see that happening, too. It looks like the width of where the images scroll is smaller than it should be. Add this to your custom CSS in the theme options (it will allow more of the images to show in the box):

#mycarousel ul div.mycarousel {left: -300px;}

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

princeofwhales

Thanks Catrina, just before I do this, if you check the carousels on other pages, the scrolls all work. Although I remember when I first installed the galleries that I'd ran into this problem on a few pages so I deleted a few images and for the time being solved the problem and left it then but now we need to install more photos to almost all the pages. When I insert this code, will it do anything to the other carousels that seem to be working properly? I am afraid to wake a sleeping giant thanks for your help.

princeofwhales

Thanks Catrina I have added the code to the custom CSS but nothing has changed

cmunns

So it worked with less images on other areas of the site? You may have to edit the template_carousel.php file to allow for more than 30 images. ( line 11 )

princeofwhales

Thanks, I tried this by putting the number at 50, as the new uploads do not exceed that number but it change anything. I also noticed that if you look at other the pages, the carousel for a split second double lines then fixes itself. I think this has always been going on. I am not sure what to do about the carousel, right now the one page I updated is still stacking vertically in sets of 2. Thanks

princeofwhales

I mean it did not change anything, the carousel is still broken... typo

bryan-hadaway

Are you using cFroms by chance, that has been know to cause conflicts. If it's working on some pages and not others, this may be due to markup issues on those pages. I would run the problem pages through: http://validator.w3.org/ Thanks, Bryan

princeofwhales

Thanks any page I seemed to push through the validator has shown me errors of varying degrees. Even when I grabbed random other pages I found errors. So, as a non programmer, how would I go about detecting and fixing the issue here? Also yes we have the C-Form plug-in installed. Thank you

cmunns

Could you have accidentally changed the setting for the carousel that isn't working correctly. None of the validation errors would cause it to break especially when it's working on all other pages.

princeofwhales

What I will do, is update another gallery set (and hope that it too doesn't break) for now I have been with holding that in case it's a site wide bug, however if it's only on the page then I suppose that is different. I will know once I start updating more galleries if they are broken on the page or somewhere else.

bryan-hadaway

There is a known bug that cForms causes, please temporarily deactivate to see if it's the culprit. The next step is to differentiate the problem pages from working pages. Please ignore the errors for now. Let's look at the front of the site, maybe we can find a pattern with problematic pages. Give me a link to two problem pages and two working pages. Thanks, Bryan

princeofwhales

Thank you, disabling the c forms plug-in didn't change anything - next I will update a different gallery to see if it's doing this anywhere else before we know if it's only on the 1 page or not.

bryan-hadaway

Okay, keep us updated. Thanks, Bryan

princeofwhales

After updating a different page - gallery, the same thing occurred; http://www.princeofwhales.com/wildlife/cetaceans/ I am considering approaching the client on removing the carousels (using only the blank template) and installing a flickr slide show instead because this is becoming a bit stressful now. It is not ideal though because it does not solve the issue and it changes the appearance across the site (requiring more labour and a less attractive approach then the carousel). Not sure what else to do...

princeofwhales

Both Transients and Cetaceans - both malfunctioned, I am not going to update any others for the carousel at this point. I am thinking through a new approach - perhaps disabling that and using an outside third party embedded slide show that can then be placed anywhere on the page.

Kate

@princeofwhales So for right now you don't require any additional help, correct? You're considering other solutions? Kate

princeofwhales

Unless it seems likes something fairly easy then I think that I will start to investigate other solutions yes. Rather then going around in circles here. I realize it would be good to find the culprit and fix it however time to move along. If anyone does come up with any ideas as to why this is happening I am still open to suggestion thank you. Thanks everyone for trying to help!

bryan-hadaway

I don't believe this is a bug, but an error or plugin conflict on your end which takes some detective work on your end as well as ours to reach a solution. As a last resort, let's get you to drop: `.carouselcontainer ul li{float:left !important}` in your Custom CSS. Thanks, Bryan

princeofwhales

Thanks Bryan I will go ahead and place this into the css tomorrow night when I return to my computer and let you know how it resolves. Thanks again.

Kate

@princeofwhales I'm sure Bryan tried it, but personally it didn't change it for me. Hopefully it works for you, though. If not, we'll try to figure something out if possible.

princeofwhales

Thanks guys, yah didn't work for me.