Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skip

Container Effects and/or Settings

Skip

The Container is similar to the Canvas Area with DMS.  The Canvas Area with DMS gives you the ability for scrolling effects and sizing.  Options like - No Scroll Effect, Parallaxed Background Image, Alternative Parallaxed Background Image, Improved Parallaxed Background Image, Translate Content On Scroll, Set To Height Of Window along with speed, direction, etc.

Is this possible with the Canvas Area?  I personally like the Translate Content On Scroll...

Will this type of functionality be added in the future or perhaps if I'm missing it, where would it be found?

JudithKlinger

I understand the intention and it does make sense. But, I'm wondering if there is a need to assist in the transition to an all-plugin mentality versus having a whole

toy box at your fingertips.  Maybe a recommended plugin list? Something the PL5 community could use to bridge the transition? 

Examples: galleries...who is using what? Existing PL5 plugins are pretty vanilla.   Animations: who has the best simple animations? 

onespirit

I just read https://www.pagelines.com/eighty-percent-rule/ and I certainly agree with eliminating bloat. My biggest concern is that although I don't use every section in DMS 2, I did like animations for highlighting prices on a page or buttons I wanted clicked. These are valid marketing reasons to have animations and communciates front and centre things that make me money.

I also use many of the shortcodes that were available through bootstrap to perform valid functions on my membership site like popovers  for more info about widgets etc. and various other features that make my sites look more professional to my clients.

If PL5 is to replace DMS 2 I should be able to recreate a DMS 2 site with PL5 and it looks like that won't be entirely possible.

I can't say I agree with Pagelines telling me what options I should want for designing just so they can follow some "higher" philosophy of design. Don;t get me wrong I appreciate a fast platform with less bloat but the bottom line is:

I have clients to serve too and if they want such features on their sites now Pagelines as a platform can't deliver for me and I certainly am not going to tell my paying customers to just do what I say cause I know better. They'll just go somewhere else.

I hope Pagelines reconsiders this approach and at least lets us decide if we want animations, parallax and the like. This could easily be added through extensions without alienating those that still want it.

Aires

I think you might have missed  the point or the vision behind Platform 5.

The way I understand it was they  wanted to removed all the useless stuff from the core and add an extension to add additional features. This way you get to choose whether you want parallax or animations or nothing at all. It will also give the client or developer a reason to consider going pro. 

This is nothing new if you have used or follow visual composer thats exactly how they do things and are very good at it.

parrallax addon for visual composer - http://vc.wpbakery.com/addons/parallax-background/

animations addon for visual composer - http://vc.wpbakery.com/addons/css-animator/

And thats not to mention the other 150 plugins they have for various stuff. http://vc.wpbakery.com/addons/

I would like to believe that if there is a demand for it they will build it.

ndTgvai.jpg

Visit iheartpagelines.com for the latest tutorials on PageLines related products.

onespirit

@Aires 

I think you might have the point or vision behind Platform 5

Perhaps I have but as is I still can't duplicate any DMS2 sites I've designed, and for me that sucks because PL5 is way faster and easier to use and I would convert my site in a minute if I could.

The way I understand it was they  wanted to removed all the useless stuff from the core and add an extension to add additional features. This way you get to choose whether you want parallax or animations or nothing at all. It will also give the client or developer a reason to consider going pro.  

I totally agree with everything you are saying here. The fact remains at present there is no parallax or animation extension to choose from. Check out the blog post below it seems Pagelines isn't leaning toward developing such extensions.

http://www.pagelines.com/animations-not-recommended/

For me I would hardly consider short codes like buttons, pop overs, modals, alerts, quotes etc. to be useless. Such things were one of the reasons I became a Pagelines customer in the first place. I thought they had the best short codes of any themes I came across at the time. My site users like it too so in the end, I listen to them.

I would like to believe that if there is a demand for it they will build it.

I hope you are right. I remember you from the beta test group and liked a lot of your input there as well so I appreciate your reply.