Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skip

Multiple Errors With Pagelines DMS

Skip

Hello

I built a website www.trueblueauctions.com with Pagelines DMS and afterwards I performed a check on the quality of it here https://validator.w3.org/nu/?doc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.trueblueauctions.com%2F

There are over 100+ problems with it.  

Would someone please let me know why Pagelines DMS would make a website that makes errors and it bad for SEO and what would be the fix for this?

When you are making PL5, will it cause errors like this with websites?

Will there be a fix to these problems in a plugin or patch to DMS?

Please advise.

Thank you.

Skip

Simon

Most of the errors on that page are down to poor html markup.

example

<h1 class="align-left entry-title" data-sync="mega_title">
  <p style="text-align: right;">Who we are</p>
</h1>

Danny

All the errors on your site are HTML errors by you. For example, you have a p tag wrapped inside a h1 tag. That isn't valid HTML.

Please search our forums, before posting!

Skip

Hello Simon

Why is DMS not generating good html?  Is there a fix to this?  A plugin or anything?

Simon

I cant comment on a 3rd party product, which voyant obviously is, but it looks like you added markup to the title.. as in added a P tag.

A P inside a H1 is invalid, simple as. DMS did not put it there.

Danny

Skip, DMS generates valid HTML and is coded to HTML5 standards.

All the HTML errors you're reporting have been added by yourself, this code isn't part of DMS Framework. The errors are as followed:

Alt tags missing on images you have added. WordPress includes a title and alt image field option when uploading and adding media. This isn't related to DMS.

You have multiple errors related to linked stylesheets that are from Gravity Forms ready CSS and another from WooCommerce auctions, which I assume is a third party plugin?

You have p tags wrapped inside a H1 tag, this isn't valid HTML and is something you or someone who part of your team has added. This is not PageLines code and is most certainly not part of DMS.

You have this above your footer, again this isn't valid and is not part of DMS core code.

<style>.eoe-modal { z-index:10500; width: 80%; left: 25%; margin-left: -15%; }
	.eoe-modal-backdrop { z-index:10400; }
	.modal-body { padding: 0; max-height: 500px; }</style>

You're using hspace/vspace which are no longer valid

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_img_hspace.asp
http://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_img_vspace.asp

Align attribute used on images, again this isn't valid HTML any longer.

You have stray header tags such as the H2 at the end of the code below.

<h1 style="text-align: left;">DISCOVER</h1><h4 style="text-align: left;">Using Your Own Numbers With Our Exclusive CALCULATOR The TRUE Cost &amp; Value Of Selling Your Home Today!</h4></h2>

You have header tags inside other header tags, again this is invalid HTML. Header tags can not be a child of another header tag.

<h2 class="icallout-head" data-sync="icallout_text"><h1 style="text-align: left;">DISCOVER</h1>

Use of frameborder is no longer supported.

All the code above, is not DMS core code or PageLines code. It is code added by either yourself or your team and I highly recommend you review all sections/pages where you have added HTML code and copy/paste it into a either the HTML validator or a code editor with linting capability.

DMS does not validate custom code added by users and nor does any other theme. It is not the themes responsibility to correct bad code, it is the users.

Skip

Danny

Much appreciated...  I'm not a code writing guy and I mostly point & click away with DMS with an occasional copy and paste here and there using other plugins by other companies.  I had a person point this out to me and I wanted to ask and see if you had an idea of the best way to fix this.  I suppose trying to build a new beta website and do my best to keep it "clean"...

Again, much thanks & best of Providence!

Skip

Danny

No problem Skip.

I highly recommend two things.

1. Never copy and paste code unless the author is someone with a reputation for providing valid code such as CSS Tricks.

2. Install the Atom code editor by GitHub, its free and is awesome. Once installed, install the Linting packages linked below. When you write HTML, CSS, PHP and etc... if any errors are present the package will notify you of the error. Anyone who is going to be writing code, needs to use these packages.

https://atom.io/packages/linter