Jackey

iPad Pro

Jackey

The PL5 editor can be enabled on iPad Pro, but the editor does not respond to most gestures and navigation on the page is impossible .

I suggest to disable PL5 editor on iPad Pro.

Rob Thomas

It seems like basic editing in the (regular Air) iPad works fine. But instead of opening "sections" or "elements" in the builder, I can just use individual section icons on the page to access. 

I do a lot of textual editing on the fly and have with DMS over the years. But I like having basic build abilities in iOS. It seems like there's more in this iteration than DMS where visual editor did not work at all. 

To me, this is a plus having some basic build ability on the iPad. 

Update: the only problem I had was that at some point I could not longer scroll down to continue editing. I suppose this is what you meant by "navigation is impossible"? That made it impossible to continue editing beyond a certain point. But if we could make it scroll in the editor, it would actually work. 

Edited by Rob Thomas
updated info (see edit history)

Andrew

Its probably fixable with some testing... 

ppotent
On 24 December 2015 at 8:24 PM, Rob Thomas said:

It seems like basic editing in the (regular Air) iPad works fine. But instead of opening "sections" or "elements" in the builder, I can just use individual section icons on the page to access. 

I do a lot of textual editing on the fly and have with DMS over the years. But I like having basic build abilities in iOS. It seems like there's more in this iteration than DMS where visual editor did not work at all. 

To me, this is a plus having some basic build ability on the iPad. 

Update: the only problem I had was that at some point I could not longer scroll down to continue editing. I suppose this is what you meant by "navigation is impossible"? That made it impossible to continue editing beyond a certain point. But if we could make it scroll in the editor, it would actually work. 

Given the horsepower of the iPad Pro, and given that currently it almost works, it would be great if there was a bug fix to enable pl5 editing capabilities for iOS 

Simon

It isnt easy to test it when none of us own an ipad pro though, its a bit hit and miss.

Ipads use touch events and the builder uses click and drag etc, similar but different events.

ppotent

Hi Simon. I totally appreciate that. And I appreciate that there may not be many PL designers who would build things on an iPad.

I guess I'm one of those users whom a PL person could hand things over to - something I know that you guys had in mind when you built PL5. For example, right now, I'm on the road running a bunch of training programs. I have my PL site already built. It would be awesome if I could jump onto my iPad and quickly embed a couple of videos and links to content rather than having to do the tag-team stuff which wastes so much time.

Also, on the iPad, it almost works. It loads the PL5 page editor things on the right. I can touch the drop down arrows. I can drag and drop sections. I can add text into boxes and links. It just gets glitchy when I try to scroll the main page and the editor page. It's like there's just a couple of scrolling glitches and it would work. So it may not require too much tweaking......

ppotent

Hi Simon, I noticed in one of the last updates there were some things done with the touch events. I can't be a 100% sure what they were, but it does seem to be better. One big one that presents a challenge is that when the page editor is turned on, I can't scroll the main window. I can only scroll the page editor window. And I have to be super careful here or else I end up dragging and dropping a section. Another one that would be great to fix is that the location for the touch event for drop down within the page editor is off.

Best example is for boxes. I touch page editor. Carefully scroll down to a box section. Touch on the little triangle to edit. When I touch the triangle, I get the small menu dropping down (Col, offset, edit, etc.) and it also drops down the Wordpress menu at top left (Dashboard, themes, widgets, menu). I can touch on edit and go into the boxes section with the configuration, padding/margin, etc. stuff. In configuration > boxes setup, I can then see Item 1, Item 2, etc. The little triangle that enables me to edit title, text, link etc. is where it gets tricky. The touch spot for this triangle is actually quite a bit higher than the actual triangle. And I only found it by accident using the Apple Pencil, so I think it is a very small touch spot also. 

Once again, I appreciate that this is probably not on your radar as a must have. However, it would certainly improve usability, particularly being able to scroll the main window while the editor is open. 

Thanks in advance!