Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

richardjacruz

Updated plugins... home page broke

richardjacruz

I updated the following plugins:

• Yoast SEO Premium
  • Post Duplicator
  • Manage WP Worker

All of the sudden, the home page of the site breaks. I've tried troubleshooting with the host, but to no avail. 

The site is www.stevensoncrane.com.

The other domain is www.stevensoncraneservice.com which is the root directory to which stevensoncrane.com points. www.stevensoncraneservice.com works fine except that it's missing the fontawesome fonts. 

I'm really stumped!

Simon

thats because they are trying to access dev.whateverthedomain is..

richardjacruz

So, login to stevensoncrane.com/wp-admin and republish the home page?

Any idea why the Yoast plugin or the post duplicator plugin might have broken the links on the home page?

Simon

Click save in DMS editor anywhere to recompile all the CSS,

richardjacruz

Hi, 

We had to restore the website files back to where they were a few days ago, but the site is back up and running.

I now have four plugins which need to be updated:

• Yoast SEO Premium
  • Post Duplicator
  • Manage WP Worker (I might be able to update this without incident through Manage WP)
  • Contact Form DB (which I've been able to update on my own without incident prior to this problem)

What is the best way to go about getting this up-to-date?

The problem, to reiterate for clarification, is that, when the first two plugins are updated, the home page styling "breaks" (though the rest of the site pages appear to remain unaffected). Luckily, the database appears to be unaffected, so it looks like it's something with some settings or files which are affected. However, simply turning off plugins doesn't solve the problem.

Thanks,

Rich

richardjacruz

This may help to clarify how things went:

* We had an old website with a totally different theme hosted at GoDaddy at www.stevensoncrane.com.

* I started an account with a new host using the domain www.stevensoncraneservice.com.

* I did a fresh WP installation in the root of that host.

* I did a fresh WP installation in a sub-domain dev.stevensoncraneservice.com.

* I built the website using Pagelines DMS including the Pagelines Updater plugin, Yoast SEO Premium, Contact Form 7, and WooCommerce. 

* I tested the site thoroughly, and, when it passed inspection, I used ManageWP to clone the "dev." site to the root at stevensoncraneservice.com.

* I tested that completely, and when that looked okay, we changed the DNS setttings on "stevensoncrane.com" to point to the new host.

* I added that domain to the new host as a Parked Domain, and all was working fine.

* I updated the above plugins, and the problem occurred which was completely broken CSS on the home page only. Other problems happened when tech support tried fixing some things, but we were able to restore it.

* The site is currently running with all of the plugins, but the four in question have not yet been updated to their latest versions.

Thank you for your attention and help.

Simon

As i mentioned before, your fonts are loading from a different domain.. So you need to make sure the site urls are set properly in WP then go to any page and click publish in the dms editor to rebuild the css with the current urls.

You fonts are trying to load from stevensoncrane.com

richardjacruz

Maybe what would make the whole thing work better is that everything was installed with "stevensoncrane.com" being the primary directory. That's really what Google indexes and what all of our links, etc., are. "Stevensoncraneservice.com" was only really meant as a temporary domain on which to build and develop the site.

Do you mind if I keep this ticket open just a little longer, and I'll apprise you of the situation?

Thanks,

Rich

Simon
4 minutes ago, richardjacruz said:

Maybe what would make the whole thing work better is that everything was installed with "stevensoncrane.com" being the primary directory. That's really what Google indexes and what all of our links, etc., are. "Stevensoncraneservice.com" was only really meant as a temporary domain on which to build and develop the site.

Do you mind if I keep this ticket open just a little longer, and I'll apprise you of the situation?

Thanks,

Rich

sure

richardjacruz

To give you an update:

I made the following changes:

1. In WP Settings, I changed the WP URL and the Site URL back to stevensoncraneservice.com. I was able to then update all of the plugins without incident. Stevensoncraneservice.com seems now to come up fine in all browsers.

2. I made stevensoncrane.com an Addon domain and pointed it to a subdirectory "/stevensoncrane".

3. I installed WordPress into that new subdirectory at stevensoncrane.com.

4. I cloned the site at stevensoncraneservice.com to stevensoncrane.com.

5. I saved the home page, refreshed, and republished the website at stevensoncrane.com.

NOW the home page won't come up at all. All of the other pages such as "stevensoncrane.com/rentals" and "stevensoncrane.com/blog" seem to render fine. 

All of the permalinks seem fine, the site settings are all showing stevensoncrane.com for the WP URL and the Site URL, and everything seems to be okay with the A record for stevensoncrane.com properly pointing to the host.

Any ideas?

richardjacruz

It looks like this issue may have been resolved.

FYI, I re-cloned the website from stevensoncraneservice.com to stevensoncrane.com, and then I used Velvet Blues to update all URLs. 

The issue may or may not have stemmed from some DNS settings taken care of by Bluehost's Level-2 support. I am awaiting confirmation.

Thanks for you help. Should I need additional support, I'll open another ticket.

Rich

Simon

Thanks for the feedback