Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JudithKlinger

Post Layout Options

JudithKlinger

I've searched thru threads, but I'm still struggling with post layout. 

With Pagelines, I was able to set up this sort of post layout: http://www.issue01.w-edigest.org/go-fish/

I was able to position the author photo/link, title, date, text etc. 

I tried using Loops, with only one post and I can't seem to break apart or position those meta elements. 

Perhaps someone has found a plugin that might help? 

Simon

There will be a new version shortly, fixes a couple of bugs.. but in the mean time..

The cool thing with the loops plugin is you dont have to use the loops at all!!

Lets say you want a totally unique 'posts' page, like you fishing example above, so you go to that fish post and select all of type.. then remove the content area totally...

Now add a text box and start adding the loops short codes!

[loops_title] 
[loops_author] 
[loops_content]

just as a simple example, then center justify, and thats it !

JudithKlinger
58 minutes ago, Simon said:

There will be a new version shortly, fixes a couple of bugs.. but in the mean time..

The cool thing with the loops plugin is you dont have to use the loops at all!!

Lets say you want a totally unique 'posts' page, like you fishing example above, so you go to that fish post and select all of type.. then remove the content area totally...

Now add a text box and start adding the loops short codes!

[loops_title] 
[loops_author] 
[loops_content]

just as a simple example, then center justify, and thats it !

I had a feeling it was somewhere in there..but kept missing the boat. Quick question, you say: "select all of type".   Where is that? Within Builder? 

Simon

Yea i mean the scope..

564a6641b26b9_ScreenShot2015-11-16at23.2

Simon

Next version of loops has pagination too ;)

JudithKlinger
8 minutes ago, Simon said:

Next version of loops has pagination too ;)

You know pagination makes my heart beat faster...but back to the Loops who will not unlock their secrets. I've added the text boxes, with separate loop shortcodes in each text box. 

But, no magic happens.... should I be putting the loop code somewhere else? 

Screen Shot 2015-11-16 at 6.33.16 PM.png

Simon

Save, refresh the page

JudithKlinger
2 minutes ago, Simon said:

Save, refresh the page

hmmm... no change. Even did a cache clear. 

Pagelines.com as the active theme. 

Simon

did you add the shortcodes as rich text?

Did you click the raw html 1st?

JudithKlinger
1 minute ago, Simon said:

did you add the shortcodes as rich text?

Did you click the raw html 1st?

No to both. 

Simon

you do have the plugin active right?

JudithKlinger

Yes. And yes I double checked...been a long day. And damn late for you! 

Simon

PM me a login, lets see whats goin on here.

Ive just pushed the pagination fixes.. obviously they only work if you are using the actual loops section..

Simon

Yea all fixed then, looks like you pasted it from somewhere and pasted all the formatting code too.

JudithKlinger
4 minutes ago, Simon said:

PM me a login, lets see whats goin on here.

Ive just pushed the pagination fixes.. obviously they only work if you are using the actual loops section..

Yea all fixed then, looks like you pasted it from somewhere and pasted all the formatting code too.

Ah ha! I'm the Queen of Paste because I can't proofread. However, still no content appearing. I see title and author, but no content. Did a cache clear as well.   Do you see the post content? 

Simon

You need to update the loops plugin... 

JudithKlinger
5 minutes ago, Simon said:

You need to update the loops plugin... 

That worked; however it stripped out some of the formatting. See screenshot. Where you see the bold, those were new paragraphs/headers.

I went back into the WP text edit, and the formatting is still there, but it's not displaying. 

Screen Shot 2015-11-16 at 7.14.04 PM.png

JudithKlinger

If I change "Experimentation - from Dairy to Muskmelons" to h2, the formatting works. If I use strong, the line breaks won't work. 

Simon

I have no idea how you are editing the post, it does not contain even one paragraph tag.

JudithKlinger
9 minutes ago, Simon said:

I have no idea how you are editing the post, it does not contain even one paragraph tag.

Don't worry about this.. it's far from where I want it to be formatting-wise. It's just a test post. But, it did strip out formatting that was there before. If it happens again, I'll speak up. 

Last question: Is there a list anywhere that details what loop meta we can use in the text boxes? i.e. featured image, category etc. (I solemnly promise not to copy/paste.)

Simon, many thanks for the super quick and thorough responses. Greatly appreciated! 

Simon

1st the shortcodes would never ever strip post content... 

The usual way that happens is switched from rich to text in the post editor.

All the shortcodes do is display whatever you have added to the post content area, be it rich text, just text, html whatever, it just displays whatever is there. Only you can change whats in the post content area by gfoing to the post edit area and changing it ;)

Here is a screenshot of the (so far) shortcodes provided by the loops plugin:

564a79690b34d_ScreenShot2015-11-17at00.4

JudithKlinger

hmmm... what about featured image? 

JudithKlinger

[loops_media]

And that is precisely why you get the big bucks! Grazie!

JudithKlinger

There was an update today...but that wasn't the one that fixed the Ultimate Shortcode plugin, is it? 

• Similar Content

• micstepl
      By micstepl+
      make NavBars (each) choose-able, to break in mobile view "above content" OR "below content"
      ,Michael
    • micstepl
      By micstepl+
      When within a content section & using "shortcode button". My recommendation is for the Pop-Up in "pagelines sections" , where it is annoying that someone needs to enter the "unique-ID".
      Recommendation
      based on the selection of a section  (relational) offer custrom ID-Names in a drop-down (for selection) meaning, where a customer has already taken action to enter a Custrom-ID offer the choice to either enter use the drop-down (der Zustrom-ID´s in use) or enter a unique-ID (as now available, randomly given by the system)  
    • Gavin_
      By Gavin_+
      1. Pagination ajax load more - like in original Pins Post - so you select how many to display (as per option now) and then load more if required. 
      2. Gallery Format - is limited, no control over post meta / excerpt etc. 
      3. Stretch Goal for Gallery Format - add Font Awesome Icon yes/no (if yes choose icon) 
      4. Stretch Goal 2 for Gallery Format - add ability to choose direction content appears from - left / right / top / bottom / none
      5. Thanks
    • micstepl
      By micstepl+
      As a start I´d like to mention, that Platform5 is just great !!!
      I´d like to deviier a strategic input tp the pagelines team for Plaform 5. This is a general request and recommendation, based on the example of Masonic. DMS2 offered essential functions that are already implemented in the field amongst developers and customers. Competitors do already offer it on a high level as well. I do unterstand that some features, like Parallx (although I like it) are not appropreate form the speed & communications perpective, like Andrew mentioned. 
      Problem: What I do see is, that Platform5 currently downgrades comodity market functionality - having signifikant impact on existent projects, when building new, or migrating, what customers already have and are used to. In the context of masonic this forces a complete logical redesign of the site.
      eg. downgrades / dropped functionalities
      meta-key + meta-key-value grid mode suggested work-arounds
      relaunch the above mentioned fields to masonic add a field "Show Only On Page(s)"  (same as "Hide On Page(s)" ... just oposite) this allows to pick out some selected pages eg. for summary navigation  
      Recommendation
      I do recommend, that functionality, bound to the core of WP, offer most flexible functionality in all data blocks available.
    • micstepl
      By micstepl+
      content section does not allow
      to disable post Image nowhere! also not in meta setting within post / as tilte checkbox)