Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Andrew

Tutorial & Course Drive. $50 - $1000

Andrew

Hey guys, 

In order to make sure we have adequate resources available at launch, we wanted to add an incentive for you to create video tutorials and courses for your websites. 

In addition to any thought leadership, and marketing opportunity you can drive by being the first to create PageLines 5 tutorials, we wanted to add a cash incentive just to sweeten the pot. 

For any approved tutorials ( you may want to get them pre-approved with us ).. we will simply pay you $50 via PayPal. 

For any courses, 10 videos or more.. if high quality and pre-approved we can pay you  $1000. This is in addition to the fact that you'll get to be THE PageLines expert, which should be be good for your business. 

Starting next week we'll do developer meetings, where i'll live teach and record meetings doing developer oriented stuff. We can talk through any tips/tricks as well.

Any way, what do you guys think?

Brian

Hey @Andrew, great idea. Could you elaborate a little more in terms of the types of course/tutorials you're looking for? Videos similar to the last one Danny did? As you already know, there's definitely a good amount of time that goes into producing a simple quality 2 minute video. I think it might helpful for you to post an outline of what's needed.

micstepl
38 minutes ago, Brian said:

Hey @Andrew, great idea. Could you elaborate a little more in terms of the types of course/tutorials you're looking for? Videos similar to the last one Danny did? As you already know, there's definitely a good amount of time that goes into producing a simple quality 2 minute video. I think it might helpful for you to post an outline of what's needed.

right, I agree.

@Andrew could you please also line out what you mean with ...

• For any approved Tutorials  .... ... Process/how/what/what details?
  • you may want to get them pre-approved with us ... Process/how/what/what details?
  • if high quality .... can you describe the quality standard ?

batman

Hi micstepl
I suppose that ...

15 hours ago, Andrew said:

Starting next week we'll do developer meetings, where i'll live teach and record meetings doing developer oriented stuff. We can talk through any tips/tricks as well.

;)

Life is too short to remove USB safely ...

Andrew

These will be 3rd party tutorials so feel free to produce them how you see fit. However, we have some advice and guidance on how to do them well and make them useful.

The cash incentive is simply to help catalyze this process... I'll highlight the benefits of being one of the first to create these tutorials: 

• Thought Leadership - Almost always thought leaders are the one who jump on a trend early and do it well. 
  • Lead Gen / Marketing - If you have a WP based business, people will see these tutorials and build a personal relationship with you. These people will likely give you their business for services, etc.. 

Could you elaborate a little more in terms of the types of course/tutorials you're looking for? Videos similar to the last one Danny did? As you already know, there's definitely a good amount of time that goes into producing a simple quality 2 minute video. I think it might helpful for you to post an outline of what's needed.

PL5 is capable of *anything*.. so there is a limitless supply of resources we could create. Here are some ideas:

• Client Training: Tutorials aimed at non technical users of PageLines.
  • PageLines for Developers:  Creating Sections and Child Themes Based on PageLines
  • PageLines for Business: Building a web design business using PageLines Platform 5
  • PageLines Basics: tips and tricks for creating pages and using sections. Etc... 

TIPS & QUALITY

The quality of your video and subject matter will both determine the support from PL and actual traction (usefulness) with actual customers. 

Here are some tips and guidance: 

• Solve a Problem for a Specific Customer/Niche. Always first focus on a niche or specific customer type and THEN your video should attempt to show them something useful or address a frustration this customer may experience. Being to general is many cases will leave your products (especially information products) commoditized.
  • Keep it simple. Do only what the specific video/course is set out to do and don't waste time repeating yourself or explaining things that dont need to be explained. 
  • Know who you are making the video(s) for... Is it for clients? Professionals? People starting with or experienced with PageLines? Say "this is for X" at the beginning of your video. 
  • Use a good quality Mic. Get on Amazon and spend $100.
  • Use Screenflow. Simple software, easy to learn. 
  • Simple Graphics, Simple Screens. The more visually cluttered your graphics and screens the less useful they will be. Simple as that.

James Giroux

Sounds like an interesting idea.  Where are these courses supposed to live?  Will they be on PageLines.com or self-hosted?  Are they intended to be free or behind a paywall?

James Giroux, CEO
Groundwork

Andrew

Anything supported here would be free.

End of the day i just need to make sure lots of good resources are being created for people. 

Ideas for placement, distribution of your courses:

• Udemy
  • Lynda
  • NetTuts
  • Any Other Tutorial Site
  • Youtube
  • User Group
  • Vimeo
  • You get the idea...

Rob Thomas

this sounds super fun to me. I wish I could contribute. sadly, my hands are full right now. but if I find myself with some free time ... I do have an idea or two. 

oseehys

The Tutorial i really want to see will be on how to transition all my sites from DMS to PL5, am really tensed about how to do those transitions, PL5 is so simple and fun when you get the hang of it, but with all the css in dms, lots of sections and themes used in DMS, how is that going to play out with PL5? wait and see, i guess, i believe @James Giroux Academy, am a subscriber there, will do some magic for us

vanessabt
On 11/14/2015, 11:02:47, Andrew said:

Hey guys, 

In order to make sure we have adequate resources available at launch, we wanted to add an incentive for you to create video tutorials and courses for your websites. 

In addition to any thought leadership, and marketing opportunity you can drive by being the first to create PageLines 5 tutorials, we wanted to add a cash incentive just to sweeten the pot. 

For any approved tutorials ( you may want to get them pre-approved with us ).. we will simply pay you $50 via PayPal. 

For any courses, 10 videos or more.. if high quality and pre-approved we can pay you  $1000. This is in addition to the fact that you'll get to be THE PageLines expert, which should be be good for your business. 

Any way, what do you guys think?

So I love this idea. I am already a certified expert/architect on the NationBuilder platform but have been building up quite a number of clients that we are doing sites for on Wordpress.  Not only do I think the video creation is a great idea but it would be really awesome if you created a pathway for professionals to become pagelines PL5 certified that can go in a directory for people that may be looking for someone to help/hire them with their site.

If you charged a small fee like $50 or $100 dollars for people to take the classes and then get certified it could also generate some revenue for future development.... or maybe charge like $10 for a series of small courses, then a small fee for the testing....etc.

After all, not only does it give a little revenue to cover any costs but also starts developing a stronger culture of talented developers and designers to market your product and use it!

chrisayers
vanessabt

Hi Andrew,

Did this ever get off the ground?  I would like to even see some training videos for my team at my company so that they can get some general understanding and feel for the new platform to allow them to dive into development  and reduce the exploring or learning curve.

• Similar Content

• James Giroux
      By James Giroux+
      Hey All,

We've just relaunched http://pagelinesacademy.com with a bunch of new videos for DMS 2.  You can get the PageLines Interface course for free by signing up on the site.  It's an overview of the entire toolbox in PageLines DMS.

We've also released 60+ lessons on using DMS 2 that are available on a paid membership plan, with access to exclusive forums, extra goodies (like sections and plugins) as well as access to new courses/lessons as we release them.  

Get started for free and take it for a test drive.  If you're ready to jump in, get 50% off your first month with the coupon code below!
      LAUNCH50 James.