Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gavin_

Post Template

Gavin_

At the moment PL5 does not seem to have a post template at all. I've tried looking in the files for a single.php but cant find one.
It would be great to give a post template extension that allowed you to manipulate the elements of the post:

the post title would become an element that you can place anywhere on your post template 
same for the featured image (for some reason currently the featured image displays in the post as a link to the post. 
likewise for the post meta 
finally the post content

each one of the above 'components' would be like any drag and drop element that can be moved about and manipulated as required (like other pl5 sections/elements)

you could then save different templates and use a plugin like https://wordpress.org/plugins/custom-post-template/ this to choose which template you want for each post. 

it would be incredibly useful if this worked with CPTs as well. 

chrisayers

I tend to agree with this one. I see much work in really neat "toys" being created and a lot of eye-candy sections. I am not seeing just a really good post/category layout. The actual "blog" of the site has been sort of neglected. Masonic and flipper both look much cleaner with the 1:1 ratio options but after that it goes to a really plain post loop. DMS had Power loop and Post pins that had a cleaner display and sorting options.

Gavin_

To be clear my post is in reference to a single post template and not the post loop blog list page- which also needs attention. 

Gavin_

This is quite critical to being able to go live with sites that rely heavily on blogs - i'm sure you've got something in the works - would be good to know... 

Simon

I think what you are hoping for here is some sort of plugin that provides something like...

a section that ONLY prints the post content.. and a section that only adds the comments.

the title...meta etc could be added easily via textboxes and shortcodes.

Andrew

Just so you guys know you CAN add any standard or non standard templates to a child theme and they will work just like any other theme. 

We also have some good utility functions, etc.. 

So you're telling me that the new top priority plugin should be one for advanced post handling?

JudithKlinger
1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Just so you guys know you CAN add any standard or non standard templates to a child theme and they will work just like any other theme. 

So you're telling me that the new top priority plugin should be one for advanced post handling?

Yes. Absolutely. Please. And soon if it's not too much trouble. :--)

It's been a huge time suck trying to figure out workarounds to what we were able to do before. Thanks! 

Gavin_

yep - would be great to get an awesome post template plugin

chrisayers
8 hours ago, Andrew said:

This is the part I think most of us including me were stuck on. Ever since we started with Framework, PL was a theme. The theme had a nice post loop section and so forth. Since Pagelines is now a plug-in with a simple child theme you made to get us working with, it is a very radical change for most. I realize your intentions are more to allow people to use twenty-whatever in the future and I agree with this line of reasoning. However it is really throwing people who are used to the PL theme handling things in to a frenzy. What we have now is the most kick butt plug-in ever released for WP but no-one has written a good child theme (yet). This is not directed at @Andrew or @Simon it is directed at us the guys who are working with this everyday to pick up on and take it forward.

micstepl
6 hours ago, JudithKlinger said:

Yes. Absolutely. Please. And soon if it's not too much trouble. :--)

It's been a huge time suck trying to figure out workarounds to what we were able to do before. Thanks! 

I do absolutely agree and also got significantly stuck ich finding workarounds. Below find indicators due to the lack of this functionality including workarounds that I tried to figure out. But at any end .... PL5 kept locken and stuck ... right at the core of WP :(

Recommendation: I do also strongly resommend, that you implement, that users can integrate ALL ELEMENTS (related to CONTENT: Headline, Image, excerpt, content, meta, etc.) around a post (not the unimportant as:  date, autor, etc.) and PUT IT ANYWHERE, within PL5, or within a post/page. Furthermore to Filter by all these elements in sections, that provide overview, linking and structures as (Flipper, MAsonic, etc.)

Brian
On November 11, 2015 at 9:40:12 AM, Andrew said:

Hey @Andrew, just following up on this. Are you planning to create a "comments section" and modify the existing "Content" section to exclude comments? I know we can create templates in a child theme but wanted to see this was still happening. Maybe even just a checkbox option to turn on/off comments on select posts. Thoughts?

jdbrasesco

@Andrew and @Simon - What about other navigational post items like breadcrumbs, pagination, and previous/next post?

Simon
13 hours ago, Brian said:

Hey @Andrew, just following up on this. Are you planning to create a "comments section" and modify the existing "Content" section to exclude comments? I know we can create templates in a child theme but wanted to see this was still happening. Maybe even just a checkbox option to turn on/off comments on select posts. Thoughts?

Lopps plugin can do all this it has content, comments shortcodes...