Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gavin_

Masonic Gallery - Features Request

Gavin_

1. Pagination ajax load more - like in original Pins Post - so you select how many to display (as per option now) and then load more if required. 
2. Gallery Format - is limited, no control over post meta / excerpt etc. 
3. Stretch Goal for Gallery Format - add Font Awesome Icon yes/no (if yes choose icon) 
4. Stretch Goal 2 for Gallery Format - add ability to choose direction content appears from - left / right / top / bottom / none
5. Thanks

Gavin_

any feedback ? 
anyone in the community want to chip in?

micstepl
7 hours ago, gavin_launchpad said:

any feedback ? 
anyone in the community want to chip in?

I believe that "Masonic Gallery" is one of the most vital parts of the whole development framework. Currently I do only see dorngrade of DMS2 and "excuses" that other "developer plugins" could "help out". I´d really like to unterstand this philosophy. I believe that proper selection + display mechanism of posts + pins could be a key success factor. See also my comment here .... please do not dorngrade funtionality!

chrisayers
3 hours ago, micstepl said:

I believe that "Masonic Gallery" is one of the most vital parts of the whole development framework. Currently I do only see dorngrade of DMS2 and "excuses" that other "developer plugins" could "help out". I´d really like to unterstand this philosophy. I believe that proper selection + display mechanism of posts + pins could be a key success factor. See also my comment here .... please do not dorngrade funtionality!

I brought up this to Andrew. He is working on something similar to post pins and powerloop functionality for us. I am sure he was up to his eyeballs in a couple of other bugs this weekend with the new patch.
@micstepl
I was like you at first and wondered where everything went but after 2 good weeks of playing with 5 daily I am liking the fact that it seems to not rely so much on itself. Plug-ins that seemed to really mess with DMS work fine with 5 since it is no longer as much theme dependent. I am really learning to love my post loop again. With DMS2 I tended to wrap the post loop inside DMS or hide it completely. Now I am building much more inside the post loops and less outside. This is a much better way of handling things for SEO and other great things in the future. With any new system we just got to re-learn a few things. I do not see a "downgrade" in functionality. I see taking a few steps back in order to get on the freeway. Just my opinion.

micstepl
9 hours ago, chrisayers said:

I brought up this to Andrew. He is working on something similar to post pins and powerloop functionality for us. I am sure he was up to his eyeballs in a couple of other bugs this weekend with the new patch.
@micstepl
I was like you at first and wondered where everything went but after 2 good weeks of playing with 5 daily I am liking the fact that it seems to not rely so much on itself. Plug-ins that seemed to really mess with DMS work fine with 5 since it is no longer as much theme dependent. I am really learning to love my post loop again. With DMS2 I tended to wrap the post loop inside DMS or hide it completely. Now I am building much more inside the post loops and less outside. This is a much better way of handling things for SEO and other great things in the future. With any new system we just got to re-learn a few things. I do not see a "downgrade" in functionality. I see taking a few steps back in order to get on the freeway. Just my opinion.

Hi Chis
I appreciate your comment! I do not complain and I am not resistent to change. .... but due to the fact there is no  strategic intent, direction & positioning of Platform5 communicated, I can only comment on what I see technically & funktional. I hab

I´d like to unterstand a bit better what you said.

• you startloving "post loop" again
    • why? and how do you change in thinking?
    • how do you cope with the lack of functions (eg not hinging post image?
  • build more "inside post loop"
    • are you not loosing than full with section look?
    • not so much uutside: do you mean static sections of DMS?
  • How do you cope with filter result funktion-wise & display-wies like in masonic?
    • giving littlefilter functionality?
    • are you using other external plugins?
  • general
    • are you using more external plugins?
    • what is than PL Extensions ... isn´t this than again "sections"?

chrisayers
1 hour ago, micstepl said:

Hi Chis
I appreciate your comment! I do not complain and I am not resistent to change. .... but due to the fact there is no  strategic intent, direction & positioning of Platform5 communicated, I can only comment on what I see technically & funktional. I hab

@micstepl just PM me and perhaps we can brainstorm your issues.

Gavin_

Dudes - please don't hijack my thread with off topic shizzle. 

To get back on topic. 
This is about features requests for the masonic gallery section 
1. Pagination ajax load more - like in original Pins Post - so you select how many to display (as per option now) and then load more if required. 
2. Gallery Format - is limited, no control over post meta / excerpt etc. 
3. Stretch Goal for Gallery Format - add Font Awesome Icon yes/no (if yes choose icon) 
4. Stretch Goal 2 for Gallery Format - add ability to choose direction content appears from - left / right / top / bottom / none
5. Thanks

if you have anything to add to the list of features dive in, otherwise, feel free to start your own thread. :) 

Thanks

chrisayers

@gavin_launchpad Sorry Gavin. @micstepl was having a lot of issues and tried to answer him before he got really upset. I will move our discussion elsewhere. I was also addressing the topic by saying that Andrew promised to get something like powerloop and post pins this week. I had started this exact thread elsewhere. Both here and Facebook private group. I felt that by adding the tabbed view or single category option at top in display options would solve making another plug in.

That way we could choose a single category and have it display in Masonic.

Gavin_

hey @chrisayers i saw the good feedback and the mention about AP looking at this week - which is good news.

i can see that @micstepl is struggling with PL5 and has a few threads going.  @micstepl beta means that early users provide feedback on their findings and the dev team take them on board (where they think its appropriate). the more users that agree with the feature request / suggestion the more traction it will have. adding lists of challenges is possibly not the best approach - as it starts to sound more like a support request than beta feedback. 

To recap:

Features requests for the masonic gallery section 

Pagination ajax load more - like in original Pins Post - so you select how many to display (as per option now) and then load more if required. 
Ability to select: one, multiple or all categories
Gallery Format - is limited, no control over post meta / excerpt etc. 

Stretch Goal for Gallery Format - add Font Awesome Icon yes/no (if yes choose icon) 
Stretch Goal 2 for Gallery Format - add ability to choose direction content appears from - left / right / top / bottom / none

opwolken
On 9-11-2015 at 0:41 PM, Gavin_ said:

To recap:

Features requests for the masonic gallery section 

Pagination ajax load more - like in original Pins Post - so you select how many to display (as per option now) and then load more if required. 

I'm still looking for an option or combination with an other plugin to have a "load more" AJAX button on the masonic gallery. Is there any update on this?

• Similar Content

• micstepl
      By micstepl+
      make NavBars (each) choose-able, to break in mobile view "above content" OR "below content"
      ,Michael
    • JudithKlinger
      By JudithKlinger+
      I've searched thru threads, but I'm still struggling with post layout. 
      With Pagelines, I was able to set up this sort of post layout: http://www.issue01.w-edigest.org/go-fish/
      I was able to position the author photo/link, title, date, text etc. 
      I tried using Loops, with only one post and I can't seem to break apart or position those meta elements. 
      Perhaps someone has found a plugin that might help? 
    • micstepl
      By micstepl+
      When within a content section & using "shortcode button". My recommendation is for the Pop-Up in "pagelines sections" , where it is annoying that someone needs to enter the "unique-ID".
      Recommendation
      based on the selection of a section  (relational) offer custrom ID-Names in a drop-down (for selection) meaning, where a customer has already taken action to enter a Custrom-ID offer the choice to either enter use the drop-down (der Zustrom-ID´s in use) or enter a unique-ID (as now available, randomly given by the system)  
    • micstepl
      By micstepl+
      As a start I´d like to mention, that Platform5 is just great !!!
      I´d like to deviier a strategic input tp the pagelines team for Plaform 5. This is a general request and recommendation, based on the example of Masonic. DMS2 offered essential functions that are already implemented in the field amongst developers and customers. Competitors do already offer it on a high level as well. I do unterstand that some features, like Parallx (although I like it) are not appropreate form the speed & communications perpective, like Andrew mentioned. 
      Problem: What I do see is, that Platform5 currently downgrades comodity market functionality - having signifikant impact on existent projects, when building new, or migrating, what customers already have and are used to. In the context of masonic this forces a complete logical redesign of the site.
      eg. downgrades / dropped functionalities
      meta-key + meta-key-value grid mode suggested work-arounds
      relaunch the above mentioned fields to masonic add a field "Show Only On Page(s)"  (same as "Hide On Page(s)" ... just oposite) this allows to pick out some selected pages eg. for summary navigation  
      Recommendation
      I do recommend, that functionality, bound to the core of WP, offer most flexible functionality in all data blocks available.
    • micstepl
      By micstepl+
      content section does not allow
      to disable post Image nowhere! also not in meta setting within post / as tilte checkbox)