Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Andrew

Extension Specification - Client Controls

Andrew

Hey guys, 

I hear you that this is an important function. So let's get together and figure out what this extension needs to do. 

What should and shouldn't the clients be able to handle? 

Who should be able to change things and how should this be controlled?

Aires

When it comes to client control you have to ask yourself a couple of questions. 

1. Do you want the client to be able to make changes with the builder.
  2. Do you want them to update pl plugins.
  3. Do you want them changing the pl settings.
  4. Do you want to allow the client to use the builder to build pages of there own but not mess with pages built by you.
  5. Do you want them to be able to view and add extensions.
  6. What do you want the client to see or not see in the back end.

I am sure I left out some questions.
But this should get us started and then figure out how to make it happen.

ndTgvai.jpg

Visit iheartpagelines.com for the latest tutorials on PageLines related products.

Aires
  1. Do you want the client to be able to make changes with the builder.   Not sure yet
  2. Do you want them to update pl plugins.    NO
  3. Do you want them changing the pl settings.  NO
  4. Do you want to allow the client to use the builder to build pages of there own but not mess with pages built by you.  YES - maybe an option to lock the builder on certain pages I build but a special role may be needed or added to the developer activating the site to pro.
  5. Do you want them to be able to view and add extensions. NO 
  6. What do you want the client to see or not see in the back end. Not sure yet

ndTgvai.jpg

Visit iheartpagelines.com for the latest tutorials on PageLines related products.

Simon
  1. Do you want them to update pl plugins.    NO

If the user is a site Admin, then they are going to be able to update plugins and themes, WordPress lets all admins run the update routines.

Maybe we should add a custom role to WP and assign certain things to that role.

Jackey

I think the DMS approach would be enough crippling for me for now. (define('PL_BUILDER_LOCK','user, user2, user3');) That unlocks everything but the [configuration] part of every section for those users.

Why hide you use PL5, are you also hiding you use WordPress?

Sorry formulated that wrong... that locks the builder for everyone except for the [configuration] part of every section. And unlocks the builder for the users listed.

Jackey

For me it would only be a barrier to prevent site owners messing up the site by accident. They should be able to disable this feature themselves if they wish to do so.

Andrew

Lets go back to the beginning... what is the primary pain point to solve here?

Brian

I would say having clients mess with layouts either unintentionally (or intentionally) and then having them come back to us to fix it. Unless clients have asked (or paid) for a knowledge transfer I'd prefer to have an option to disable the builder altogether. Seems like having a new admin user role would be the easiest.

Jackey

A limited access to the builder would be a nice feature though. If only to change content (images & text).

Andrew

A limited access to the builder would be a nice feature though. If only to change content (images & text).

I think this is the right approach. 

Now, how do we control and establish who gets access to what?  

Simon

Maybe a plugin could list admins and provide checkboxes to enable/disable privileges..

Danny

IMO it would probably want to work like this.

Have almost everything listed in an options page or modal popup window. Then have checkboxes to enable/disable access for

• Builder
  • Extend
  • Templates
  • Custom LESS/CSS
  • Settings
  • Page Browser

You will probably want to list all sections and have all Standard sections options listed to such as Padding/Margin, Grid/Sizing. Have checkboxes next to each of them so developers/designers can select what to limit their clients to.

For more control, you could add two extra options, one being a select box containing all user groups in WordPress that allows for multiple selections. The other being an input box where devs/designers can input the user name into the field. This would be useful if the user sets their clients to the admin user group, but wants to limit access to specific features or options.

Please search our forums, before posting!

Aires

Well thought out solution @Danny I like it. 

ndTgvai.jpg

chrisayers

I am back and forth on this subject. I feel like if we lock people out of PL it takes away a lot of the reason for them to pay me the extra money for it to be used (Hey I want to put this really nice toy on your site that costs  $100 a year but you cannot play with it). Over all I find the following to happen in real life.

#1 You build site all pretty with the images all perfectly edited and cropped.

#2 Client want to spend the next week dragging stuff around and changing stuff and putting "kittens in corners".

#3 Client gets busy on their day to day business leaves site ugly for 2 weeks.

#4 Client realizes they are not web designers nor have the time to post stuff every week.

#5 Client pays my monthly retainer to add any new verbiage and images to the site.

Just my opinion. 

As far as updates. I never write or change code inside a plug in or theme I do it with a child theme or custom CSS so I tell my clients to update themes and plug ins at will.

Jackey

I'm with you there, I don't want to tie my clients down, I just want to prevent them to get in a mess by accident. And that is done very quickly with the cascading properties in the builder, with special reference to the not so conventional approach to set margins and dimensions in vw.

Jackey

What I want the client to be able to do with a very short learning curve (null) is to edit text and replace a picture.

Andrew

I think we have a pretty good idea of how this needs to work... 

Here's how permissions will work: 

• Install "Access Control" plugin\
  • Get settings panel that allows you granular access control to various features
  • White list specific WP user names for exemption
  • Can "hide" this settings panel BUT it can be turned back on by ANY admin via the advanced options panel

Louie

@Andrew ya, I like that idea. 

I understand that our web design skills are an art that the client should appreciate -- but often times, they don't. In an age where we're all competing with WIX and Squarespace, Pagelines looks like just another DIY editor to the client. In which case, they assume they overpaid me even though we all know, that using PL properly requires a good bit of CSS and skill -- it's definitely not a WIX or Square. 

Let them change text and images, but structure and design should be left to me. After all, that's why they hired me. 

oksodavid

I echo Louie on this. My current setup, as I have editors working on content, is to provide access to wp menus and widgets in appearance (for client content control).

I have to remove access to themes and customizer, and remove PL tools from wp admin bar, PL Settings from sidebar, and PL Shortcodes from WP Editor. I would say this is the first line of protection for normal client access.

Without going on a white label trail blaze, I would like to see 'Site Title', or other text from PL advanced setting,  in wp editor replace 'Pagelines' Meta Settings, as I read it to be clients content/meta in this situation. Just a thought.

I do think there's an opportunity to cater for an intermediate user level though (non admin). From an agency point of view, clients often have someone who's filling the role of web manager/content manager/va, and they would benefit from training and access to section control - being able to insert shortcodes, manage customizations in the front end, tap into the new templating (recall section & complete layout), ...picking up where you were with 'granular access control to various features'.

micstepl
On 29. Oktober 2015 at 2:30 PM, Andrew said:

I agree on @louie and @Andrew

• "editors"
    • people with another role than WP-Admin
    • should ONLY be able
      • to change PL5 section CONTENT like 
        • text,
        • Image,
        • video,
        • etc.
  • should NOT be able to access