Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Danny

Documentation Feedback

Danny

Hello, fellow beta testers.

We are currently in the process of writing up the documentation for Platform 5 and are looking for feedback to make sure we are headed in the right direction. We currently have all sections and extensions documented. Therefore, please review what we have so far and leave any feedback such as:

• Grammar mistakes we may have missed?
  • Which articles concern you? Do any require more content/images etc...?
  • What do we need to cover to be ready for Platform launch (see the list of upcoming docs below, before posting)?
  • Do you like the format/style or should there be changes?

Upcoming docs to written:

• Shortcodes
  • Adding custom fonts
  • Adding custom scripts
  • Adding custom CSS/LESS
  • Creating a child theme
  • Guide to adding custom classes to sections

To provide feedback, simply reply to this topic or email me directly - danny@pagelines.com We would prefer feedback to this topic.

You can locate the documentation using the link - http://www.pagelines.com/resources/. 

Please search our forums, before posting!

Brian

Hey Danny,

Looks good. All pretty straight forward. Did catch a couple things.

1. Method 1: WP... header is a bit cramped to text above.

2. In the "Compatible Themes" area, there's a typo (...it could go. one-column.)

pl5-installing-framework-theme.thumb.png

pl5-compatible-themes.thumb.png.dbff79bb

Danny

Thanks, fixed those.

Aires

On the compatible themes section I am not sure if it matters but you have Divi builder and not Divi theme. But it works with both just thought I would mention it.

ndTgvai.jpg

Visit iheartpagelines.com for the latest tutorials on PageLines related products.

Aires

On the Flick Slider page its add/remove pro pricing

flicker.png

ndTgvai.jpg

Visit iheartpagelines.com for the latest tutorials on PageLines related products.

Danny

Thanks @Aires. Fixed FlickSlider doc. In regards to Divi, it links to the Divi theme, but the text describes the Divi builder, as I couldn't find any text related to the Divi theme.

Danny

Update: Added Shortcodes doc, please review and see if this easy to read and follow. I am trying to be as concise as possible so if you can suggest anything that will make this easier for users to follow and understand. I appreciate the feedback.

http://www.pagelines.com/resources/shortcodes/

JudithKlinger

Somewhere, as in the Getting Started header area, could you simply explain the difference and inter-dependence of 

Pagelines Platform

PL5 Plugin

DMS

Framework Theme

It's sounds silly, but after a year or so of working in Pagelines, if someone asked me I couldn't explain it. 

JudithKlinger

Suggestion: 

This page: http://www.pagelines.com/resources/  has 3 'chapter's: Getting Started, Tools & Techniques, Sections. 

When you navigate to one of the headings under Tools & Techniques, for example: http://www.pagelines.com/resources/custom-less-css/

The sidebar now reads: "On This Page"  & "In Chapter". I went back and forth quite a few times before I realized "In Chapter" meant the Tools & Techniques section. 

For navigation clarity, perhaps it would help if the side bar sections were Resources (Getting Started, T&T, Sections), then On This Page, then instead of "in Chapter" use the actual heading (example: Tools & Techniques). 

Danny

Hi, Judith.

There is no interdependence between DMS or the Platform plugin. I don't believe this should be explained in the documentation in my opinion. Basically, Platform 5 is a plugin that contains the PageLInes Builder and this works with most themes, i.e. Genesis Framework, Divi, WordPress Core themes twenty xxxx and DMS Framework to name a few.

DMS Framework does not depend on the Platform plugin and is its own standalone theme/product. Either does the Platform plugin depend on DMS. However, the PageLines Framework theme (the latest one) has been specifically designed/developed for the Platform Builder and adds a number of options to the Global settings.

Not sure how this confused you, to be honest, as you sort of answer your own issue above when you say:

"This page: http://www.pagelines.com/resources/  has 3 'chapter's: Getting Started, Tools & Techniques, Sections."

Chapters are like categories. For example, we currently have Getting Started, Tools/Techniques and Sections. As soon, as content has been published there will also be a How-to and Tutorials chapter too. So the sidebar's navigation is working as intended.

You can navigation to:

On This Page - Allows you to navigate to the different headers in the article.
In Chapter - Lists five articles in that Chapter. So it will list five other articles in the Chapter you're currently viewing.
Links - Is simply useful links, currently there is only Resource Home.

So basically, I think you were slightly confused about the word Chapter, thinking that would be all other chapters i.e. Getting Started, How-to etc.. when instead it lists articles in that chapter.

Rob Thomas

I've been here since January of 2011 and this is the best documentation you guys have ever put together. You've done a really fantastic job. This isn't the Pagelines product roll out that I am used to! (That's a compliment.)

I think Andrew did a really great job in his video intro and his presentations (I missed the first half of the meeting, so I was a bit more reliant on what you all have been putting together to document P5, beyond the already fairly intuitive UI). 

The only thing I have to say so far (just getting into it) is that when you click on a section/plugin, etc. in Extend and click "View,"  it takes you to a splash page, but those splash pages don't link to these great Resources pages. They totally should!!

bestrag

• Do you like the format/style or should there be changes?

Great work, really like it.

I would suggest not to use so much vertical space, since we are just displaying page title and search, which by the is not necessarily needed.

Feels to me that content could be in more cozy form.

bestrag.net

professional dms plugins 

Danny

Hi Bestrag.

"Cozy form" what do you mean? Can you explain in more detail please.

Danny

Just added the "Additional Section Classes" article to the docs. Can you please read through it and see everything is covered and is easy to follow and understand. Again if you find any grammar mistakes, please mention them here.

http://www.pagelines.com/resources/additional-section-classes/

bestrag

Sorry Danny I was not clear enough, I used my own term by habit.

What meant to say is that in my opinion it would better to make big heading elements such as title and search smaller so the content can have more vertical space. 

bestrag.net

professional dms plugins 

Danny

Can you do a mock up image so we can see exactly what you mean please.

JudithKlinger
On 10/27/2015, 3:28:13, Danny said:

Chapters are like categories. For example, we currently have Getting Started, Tools/Techniques and Sections. As soon, as content has been published there will also be a How-to and Tutorials chapter too. So the sidebar's navigation is working as intended.

So basically, I think you were slightly confused about the word Chapter, thinking that would be all other chapters i.e. Getting Started, How-to etc.. when instead it lists articles in that chapter.

Right. If categories are like chapters and categories are a concept we are familiar with..then stick with the word 'categories'. Keep the headings and order consistent from page to page. that's all I'm saying. :-)

Danny

I understand where you're coming from, but they're "Chapters" and not categories. If you look up the definition of category and chapter, you will see that we are correct in the naming. 

janpeeters
On 11/2/2015, 1:47:14, Danny said:

Just added the "Additional Section Classes" article to the docs. Can you please read through it and see everything is covered and is easy to follow and understand. Again if you find any grammar mistakes, please mention them here.

http://www.pagelines.com/resources/additional-section-classes/

Hi Danny, great work on the documentation. For me this part clarified a lot that I could do more than I used to with DMS2. Thanks.

• Similar Content

• Kedark
      By Kedark+
      Hello,
      I apologize for the trivial question, but I can not deal with it. How do I turn off the display of a distinctive image on the page? (I have to add it because I use plugins that use it), but as I display the page, I do not want it to be visible (and appears above the subject.).
      Probably a cliché but I can not deal with it. Therefore, a request for help.
      Regards
      RKA
    • Kedark
      By Kedark+
      Hello, I need help. Can and how to do it. I need to add more page appearance templates (page attributes). At the moment it's default and FRAMEWORK A, FRAMEWORK B etc. I need to add two more. How can I do this.
      Unfortunately, I did not find such a thread on the forum.
      Regards
      Radoslaw
    • Anthony King
      By Anthony King+
      Hello,
      I am wanting to know what the status of the Pagelines Platform.
      I have noticed that there has been absolutely no updates on Platform 5 for over 8 months.
      Please tell me you haven't gone off on another tangent and going to build the next great solution
      and then leave all of us to have to completely rebuild our sites like we did for
      Pagelines, then DMS, then Pagelines Platform.
      I like what you build, but what you need to do is build one product and then make it better, rather than 
      abandoning it and building something else.
      You haven't done anything for so long that even WordPress is providing a warning.
      "Warning: This plugin has not been tested with your current version of WordPress."
      So what is the Status. I mean if I am going to pay a monthly fee for a product, I don't want to pay for one
      that is no longer being supported. You have a great product, I'm not bashing it, I'm just wondering what 
      your next move is because I have business decisions to make for myself, and whether of not this is something
      I should stick with.

Please be kind enough to respond.

Thank You,
      Anthony
    • Magne Nygaard
      By Magne Nygaard
      Hi,
      I am confused about the products your are offering.
      What is DMS, Platform and Pagelines!?
    • MobileParity
      By MobileParity+
      Does anyone know what features have been included in the Foundation theme? Such as building blocks or the Motion UI?