Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dreamsight

Tememplate publish produces 503 (Service Temporarily Unavailable)

dreamsight

DMS 2.2
WP 4.3.1

Website has been live for over a year, with no problems. Now when we make a change in the Editor, Publish and refresh the changes haven't saved.

Tried the obvious and deactivated all plugins, but problem still persists.

We get the following in the Java Consol...

jquery.js?ver=1.11.3:5
POST http://magazineprintquote.co.uk/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php
503 (Service Temporarily Unavailable)
send @ jquery.js?ver=1.11.3:5
m.extend.ajax @ jquery.js?ver=1.11.3:5
$.plAJAX.runAction @ pl.ajax.js?ver=797d3d:75
$.plAJAX.run @ pl.ajax.js?ver=797d3d:62
$.plSave.save @ pl.saving.js?ver=797d3d:29
(anonymous function) @ pl.ajax.js?ver=797d3d:239
m.event.dispatch @ jquery.js?ver=1.11.3:4
r.handle @ jquery.js?ver=1.11.3:4

Is this a problem with the hosting and if so what do you think the problem is?

Thanks

Simon

Contact the host and ask for a reason for the 503

dreamsight

thought it might be, thanks Simon I've sent them a support ticket. I'll update this when they get back to me

dreamsight

Host has come back to me with "could be caused because admin-ajax is ratelimited to 8 requests per second".

Does DMS2 request more that 8 when it saves?

Does this sound right to you?

Simon

No it's just one request

dreamsight

They've come back with...

The issue of the 503 error was posed to the engineers and sadly the cause of the 503 error does not appear to be evident as nothing is being registered within the error logging / error_log on the server.  However they have advised that what is likely occurring is your IP may be rate limited due to the number of requests that are being received on to the file. 

I've tried this with only Pagelines running, all plugins turned off and it still happens. Is there anything that would make it produce multiple requests?

Simon

Hang on they are rate limiting your own site connecting to itself? 

Who is your host?

chrisayers

The recent updates to WP caused some really wild Jquery bugs. I found the issue to be fixed by disabling Jetpack and Next Gen, then doing updates and re activate.

chrisayers

Godaddy and shared hosting seemed to have issues with resources until a patch was resolved. I had some very angry clients and one ballistic partner a few weeks ago blaming DMS. DMS was never to blame but since it DOES use a lot of server resources, the combined jetpack and DMS were smoking your cheap hosting package (I have to use what my clients have as well). Jetpack was cool for a while but I found it to be overkill and causes an extra second or two load time.  Anyhoo. If you like jetpack still (many do) try killing it long enough to do the updates.  I had this on at least 6 sites that clients did auto WP updates on.

Simon

They've come back with...

The issue of the 503 error was posed to the engineers and sadly the cause of the 503 error does not appear to be evident as nothing is being registered within the error logging / error_log on the server.  However they have advised that what is likely occurring is your IP may be rate limited due to the number of requests that are being received on to the file. 

I've tried this with only Pagelines running, all plugins turned off and it still happens. Is there anything that would make it produce multiple requests?

Sorry, but the engineers wither have no clue, or the support bod you are talking to did not ask an engineer. All he/she has to do is look at the server logs, all 50* errors will be logged and the reason will be evident.

If it is rate limiting, your domain pinging your domain via AJAX should not be part of any limiting, thats called loopback. A loopback transaction should always bypass any limiting.

Is this a cpanel type shared account? Or one of their cheaper packages?

dreamsight

Hang on they are rate limiting your own site connecting to itself? 

Who is your host?

Yes I assume so. Fasthosts

Godaddy and shared hosting seemed to have issues with resources until a patch was resolved. I had some very angry clients and one ballistic partner a few weeks ago blaming DMS. DMS was never to blame but since it DOES use a lot of server resources, the combined jetpack and DMS were smoking your cheap hosting package (I have to use what my clients have as well). Jetpack was cool for a while but I found it to be overkill and causes an extra second or two load time.  Anyhoo. If you like jetpack still (many do) try killing it long enough to do the updates.  I had this on at least 6 sites that clients did auto WP updates on.

Thanks for reaching out chrisayers+. Tried deactivating everything and re-updating WP, but still have the same problem

dreamsight

Sorry, but the engineers wither have no clue, or the support bod you are talking to did not ask an engineer. All he/she has to do is look at the server logs, all 50* errors will be logged and the reason will be evident.

If it is rate limiting, your domain pinging your domain via AJAX should not be part of any limiting, thats called loopback. A loopback transaction should always bypass any limiting.

Is this a cpanel type shared account? Or one of their cheaper packages?

I think you're right with no clue. It's Fasthost's, it's all cheap. no cpanel only their own admin panel.

I've had this from them...

Reviewing  the log files from the server we can't locate or match up any  patterns to causes it to 503 error as there isn't any more then one  transaction a second. The file I looked through is (ex151023 this is  found on the ftp space). As there is still underline problems still happening with this site our engineers have suggested migrating this site to another server as this may fix the problem.  But this would mean a change of IP on the server so any DNS setting setup for this would have to be changed and point to the new web server and its take between 15 minutes to and hour to migrate  and the website would be down during this time period . I would also recommend have a local back up stored just incase.

I'm going to ask them to change servers as I need the running asap, client is complaining I haven't made the changes.

I'll update with the outcome in case anybody else has the same problem

dreamsight

They've moved the site to a different server and it's the same problem.

The rate limiting in this instance would be to reduce the impact on the stability of the shared hosting platform.  As such, a loopback would not stop the process being rate limited.

In this instance I would advise reducing the number of requests.  If this is not possible, a Cloud or Dedicated server would be a more viable alternative.

Fasthosts Technical Support

The thing is I have over a dozen sites on the same hosting packages and they are all fine. Is there no way this could be a problem with DMS?

Simon

When you click save, it makes just 1 connection via ajax to your site to save the options on the current page. Only 1, there is no way to reduce that ;)

Unfortunately cheap shared hosts have little resources as they are shared.

Just loading http://magazineprintquote.co.uk/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php takes nearly 3 seconds!

There are better hosts out there ;)

dreamsight

Looks like I'm going to have to move them from Fasthosts, but won't the site produce the same problem? I don't want to spend the time moving it, only to be in the same boat.

Latest from Fasthosts...

the script does make 8 requests per second, as such it is not the quantity of requests per transaction, but more the number of transactions.

dreamsight

Moved the site from Fasthosts and we do not have this problem anymore

Simon
1 minute ago, dreamsight said:

Moved the site from Fasthosts and we do not have this problem anymore

Where did you move to? Its 10x faster now.

dreamsight

one of our dedicated servers with OVH. I use my Fasthosts resellers account of all the cheap and cheerful stuff. Although I've got suspicions of Fasthosts throttling resources lately, sites that were fine 6 months ago are now having problems. All their support wants to do is move a problem site to a different hosting option and charge more for it. I feel like they are forcing us away from their resellers, probably because we have over 200 sites in it. They've done this before with a server package that was sold as 'unlimited', they closed it because we were using too much resources. We argued it was 'unlimited' but they said it still fell under their 'acceptable use'.

Simon

No such thing as unlimited in the reseller shared hosting world.

For example, a standard substandard server that they probably use for the reseller accounts would cost about $300 a month to hire, no add 3 'unlimited' reseller users to that server, each with 1000 sites all using PHP and charged $20 a month for 'unlimited' account and you can already see the books will never balance ;)

Glad you found the issue anyway.

dreamsight

yer I know. Still don't want to have to move all those sites though :)