Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jdbrasesco

My First Impressions

jdbrasesco

My first impressions as a novice web designer.  

I build personal sites for fun and have a goal to always be learning.  I've been using Pagelines since iBlogPro, long before all of the platforms and frameworks.  Throughout the evolution, each new iteration was really a new product and the only path forward for my existing sites was to rebuild them from scratch with each new release.  Pagelines has always felt more like a passion project than an company.  I would be nervous to use this evolving framework/platform if I had paying clients and commercial projects.  My concern is that Pagelines seems more focused on developing cool new code and is less concerned about the impact of constantly re-engineering on your customers.  I say this not to be harsh, but out of concern, as new competitive threats like PageCloud and others are emerging.  A customer-centric mentality will be necessary to keep and grow your customer base.  Too be clear - I want you to survive and thrive.

I've played with P5 a bit now and overall I think its an improvement and can see the long-term promise.  Moving the builder from the bottom to the side is a huge improvement.  It was always in the way on the bottom in DMS2.  I've tried pairing P5 with both DMS2 and the new Pagelines Framework theme.  The performance on the latter was leaps and bounds better, but of course, erased all of the DMS formatting and sections of my site and necessitated a complete re-build once again.  As with other product releases, Pagelines has not built all of the previous section options in the new release so it is not always possible to rebuild the site the same as it was before.  Some thoughts/experiences:

• I could not figure out how to have two pieces of content (an image and a text box) maintain the same height.  It would be nice if you could link two elements so they resized together.  I tried putting an image and text box inside one container but even with all of the margins set to zero I could not remove the white space around each of the elements.  I also tried just placing the two elements next to each other without the container.  That solved the margin issues so I could have full width content but the two elements resized differently at various screen resolutions or on mobile devices.  Also, while the text box would resize, the text itself did not.  It would be nice for the text within the text box to shrink as the text box is shrinking. Site: www.hungryitalian.com
  • If I have two elements in a container, the container hyperlink to its properties panel covers the hyperlink of the element on the right in the container such that you cannot get to its properties.
  • Inside the element properties in the builder, it would be nice to have a toggle button to expand/hide all of the properties at once instead of having to click on each arrow for each of the variables.
  • Element height & width is defined in pixels only.  For better responsive design it would be nice to have an option to define height and width as percentages.
  • It would be nice in the builder or in some documentation if you provided the section and class names to make CSS changes to that element so that we didn't have to dig around to try to find it ourselves.
  • We really need to have all of the Sections from DMS2 available in P5 or it is a step backwards for your user community - especially if we've had to pay for them in the past through subscriptions or as one off purchases.  Other features like Parallax seem to be gone as well.  

As a customer, what I am looking for is that every new version at a minimum includes what I had before or an improved version of it.  Then make the upgrade path the least destructive as possible.  Assume, I am new to the product and dont have the benefit of having developed it for 2 years.  Complete and thorough documentation is needed so we can get the most from the software and the references to ramp up quickly and work efficiently. 

In summary, it still feels like at launch we will be working with a paid Beta version of P5.  Keep up the good work, but please focus on customer experience, documentation, and launching with parity or better with the sections and capabilities in DMS2.  Thanks for the early look at what promises to be a great release.

Thanks,

J.D.

Jackey

If I have two elements in a container, the container hyperlink to its properties panel covers the hyperlink of the element on the right in the container such that you cannot get to its properties.

You can get to it through the PAGE LAYOUT section.

Jackey

I could not figure out how to have two pieces of content (an image and a text box) maintain the same height.  It would be nice if you could link two elements so they resized together.  I tried putting an image and text box inside one container but even with all of the margins set to zero I could not remove the white space around each of the elements.  I also tried just placing the two elements next to each other without the container.  That solved the margin issues so I could have full width content but the two elements resized differently at various screen resolutions or on mobile devices.  Also, while the text box would resize, the text itself did not.  It would be nice for the text within the text box to shrink as the text box is shrinking. Site: www.hungryitalian.com

Had to play around with that for quite some time, but if you place an image, that image will scale by default. If you place a text container beside it you can set it's minimum height (interactively) to the height of the image. You get something like this page. Where the text-box scales the same as the image. The only thing we need is a way to influence the type size in relation to the viewport... hence this thread.

Andrew

Thanks for the feedback. We'll keep working at it.

Jackey

@jdbrasesco 

I could not figure out how to have two pieces of content (an image and a text box) maintain the same height.  It would be nice if you could link two elements so they resized together.  I tried putting an image and text box inside one container but even with all of the margins set to zero I could not remove the white space around each of the elements.  I also tried just placing the two elements next to each other without the container.  That solved the margin issues so I could have full width content but the two elements resized differently at various screen resolutions or on mobile devices.  Also, while the text box would resize, the text itself did not.  It would be nice for the text within the text box to shrink as the text box is shrinking. Site: www.hungryitalian.com

Found this to be a handy snipped of CSS to scale the text in a section:

Give the section the class mgs-responsive-mobile and/or mgs-responsive-linear and paste in this less/css. Live Example

@media (max-width: 1150px) {
  .mgs-responsive-linear {
    font-size:.958em;
  }
}
@media (max-width: 1100px) {
  .mgs-responsive-linear {
    font-size:.916em;
  }
}
@media (max-width: 1050px) {
  .mgs-responsive-linear {
    font-size:.875em;
  }
}
@media (max-width: 1000px) {
  .mgs-responsive-linear {
    font-size:.83em;
  }
}
@media (max-width: 950px) {
  .mgs-responsive-text {
    font-size:.791em;
  }
}
@media (max-width: 900px) {
  .mgs-responsive-linear {
    font-size:.75em;
  }
}
@media (max-width: 850px) {
  .mgs-responsive-linear {
    font-size:.708em;
  }
}
@media (max-width: 800px) {
  .mgs-responsive-linear {
    font-size:.666em;
  }
}
@media (max-width: 767px) {
  .mgs-responsive-linear {
    font-size:.639em;
  }
}
@media (max-width: 700px) {
  .mgs-responsive-linear {
    font-size:.5827em;
  }
}
@media (max-width: 650px) {
  .mgs-responsive-linear {
    font-size:.541em;
  }
}
@media (max-width: 600px) {
  .mgs-responsive-linear {
    font-size:.499em;
  }
}
@media (max-width: 550px) {
  .mgs-responsive-linear {
    font-size:.458em;
  }
}
@media (max-width: 500px) {
  .mgs-responsive-linear {
    font-size:.416em;
  }
}
@media (max-width: 450px) {
  .mgs-responsive-linear {
    font-size:.374em;
  }
}
@media (max-width: 400px) {
  .mgs-responsive-linear {
    font-size:.333em;
  }
}
@media (max-width: 350px) {
  .mgs-responsive-linear {
    font-size:.30em;
  }
}
@media (max-width: 767px) {
  .mgs-responsive-mobile {
    font-size:.939em;
  }
}
@media (max-width: 700px) {
  .mgs-responsive-mobile {
    font-size:.8827em;
  }
}
@media (max-width: 650px) {
  .mgs-responsive-mobile {
    font-size:.841em;
  }
}
@media (max-width: 600px) {
  .mgs-responsive-mobile {
    font-size:.799em;
  }
}
@media (max-width: 550px) {
  .mgs-responsive-mobile {
    font-size:.758em;
  }
}
@media (max-width: 500px) {
  .mgs-responsive-mobile {
    font-size:.716em;
  }
}
@media (max-width: 450px) {
  .mgs-responsive-mobile {
    font-size:.674em;
  }
}
@media (max-width: 400px) {
  .mgs-responsive-mobile {
    font-size:.633em;
  }
}
@media (max-width: 350px) {
  .mgs-responsive-mobile {
    font-size:.60em;
  }
}

And yes there is likely a (better) way to do this, but it works for me. @Andrew (I hope I don't break things ;) )

Use at own risk.

Andrew

Ya that's pretty intense. Maybe we can add a global mixins option for LESS to keep that out of your way

Jackey

Great! Thanks ;)