Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gavin_

Save Section

Gavin_

Would be great to be able to save a section to a 'library' for re-use on other pages - ie a set of boxes regarding products/services.

hibbsy78

This is a must have really. It is so time consuming setting up a site without being able to save a page template.

Aires

I totally agree. I have tried to clone a section and dragging it into footer or header section thinking I would be able to just go to another page and drag it to the template area. But it didn't work as intended :( Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ndTgvai.jpg

Visit iheartpagelines.com for the latest tutorials on PageLines related products.

Brian

@Andrew and @Simon mentioned they are working on a template section.

It would be damaging from a marketing standpoint to release PL5 until the template section is available. After the initial excitement (and slight learning curve from DMS2 to PL5) without that section, people will discover that every page essentially has to be recreated. This obviously makes it very difficult to build sites from a practical standpoint and will inevitably start negative reviews of PL5—which wouldn't at all be good for launch. The Divi builder (PL5 main competitor) already has the template section built in. The benefit designing custom layouts to use as templates is paramount.

divi-builder.thumb.png.809d934602a749d4d

Gavin_

I think there are two aspects here. 
1 - A page template - a layout of sections can be saved to be reused as a page template.
2 - A section - perhaps within a container (ie boxes and a CTA) that can be saved to be reused within a page template. 
Divi does offer both of these options with the ability to load from a library. 

Aires

I actually thought the way they did it in DMS with linked and saved sections was superb.

I am actually going to miss not having that option it made things so easy.

ndTgvai.jpg

Visit iheartpagelines.com for the latest tutorials on PageLines related products.

bestrag

I actually thought the way they did it in DMS with linked and saved sections was superb.

I am actually going to miss not having that option it made things so easy.

Totally agree with you, DMS had some sweet things on this subject. Hopefully PL5 will take care of it.

Will see

bestrag.net

professional dms plugins 

Louie

I agree 100% with you guys. I'm using PL5 on a new project and spent an hour looking for a way to copy one page style/template to another. This functionality is critical to development since with most projects, the homepage is unique but most of the other pages follow the same design pattern -- at least for headers/footers. 

I loved the way DMS 2 handled this and you just had to remember to unlock from the template if you wanted to edit something. Otherwise, creating a new page with an existing template was extremely easy and fast. Cloning a section and having it saved, ready to go was also another enormous time saver. 

The PL5 concept is appreciated...my thoughts would be though that the product should have the same or more functionality than DMS2 -- we shouldn't be losing features or functionality by adopting PL5. 

Andrew

there are several features planned this way, we've just made a decision to get the core system launched before we start working on this particular feature. 

Side note: i've already built this but i need to upgrade it and refine... we also have a cut/paste section feature in #ideation

Louie

Sounds perfect...thanks Andrew! 

Gavin_

I know we have run over this a few times and you are committed to getting something live into the wild. Just want to make sure its a priority, as it's pretty key in my workflow, building a page template for different types of pages or reusing sections is so time-saving that i almost take them for granted in tools like DMS and Divi. I am about to launch a new project and the idea that i will have to build the page from scratch each time is making me consider using something other than PL5. 

btw - waiting client feedback on another site that is ready to go live...  has been a breeze with PL5. 

Andrew

Ok I'll bump this up to #1 priority behind launch related activities.

onespirit

Ok I'll bump this up to #1 priority behind launch related activities.

I wouldn't launch without templates Andrew! While I am enjoying many improvements over DMS2 in PL5.

Without this section it's unusable for me as a developer. I simply don't have the time to "redesign" every page never mind "recreate" every page.

In DMS I can design a page layout, sections etc once and then reuse it focusing only on the  content differences. 

I understand your point of view from getting the product launched. But I really feel this would bring a lot of unnecessary criticism.

Although I don't partake in it myself I've seen a lot of this type of commenting about Pagelines. 

I'm a fan so I'd really like to see you guys say hey this(PL5) is the best thing since sliced bread( DMS) and have your reviews match that.

If I were to give you my best feedback on this product it would be to take what really worked from DMS and make sure the launch product has those things at the very least

Then you can throw in all the bells and whistles as you see fit.

Regards,

Joseph