Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gavred

Feedback

gavred

Hi Guys, 

Here's my experience so far: 

Install - It wasn't clear to me that the initial download was a plugin.

So obviously when I tried to install it as a theme - Which is what we've done with Platform, Framework, DMS, DMS2, etc.. It met with an error, but once I tried to install it as a plugin, it worked and then I was invited to install platform. So that was all fine other than that first step. 

I then was met with the slightly confusing pro page - but I just clicked the $99 button and it seemed to work and i was able to install all the extensions, so happy days there. 

Installing the extensions reminded me of the old Platform Pro. (I think.) It's nice and simple. Kudos. 

In term of the front end interface. I liked designing from the sidebar and it is so much faster! It took me a while to get the hang of how page builder works. The lack of a numeric guide in terms of the column framework was confusing - but once I realised that this bit (attached.) is where the previous drag and drop magic happens - it all became a lot clearer. (Obviously this would be remedied in the intro videos which are currently being made. So that'll be fine.) In terms of the columns and offset, the numbers in DMS2 let you know where you stood out of 12 which was helpful. As good as the page builder is, I find I'm guessing a bit with that.

A few other bullet points then;

• The left column UI in the backend looked like it was having issues (options overlapping) occasionally when installing new extensions. Upon refresh this was fine. It looked buggy.
  • I can't figure out how to remove the pageslines logo from the bottom of the page without going into the code. It's not a footer. 
  • The hide page titles in the settings isn't working for me. (Unless it's just me and I've done something wrong.) 
  • My typekit fonts aren't working. I've added the script to the appropriate place in settings and it's not coming through. It could be just me.
  • The extensions I'm missing the most immediately from DMS2 are PL_NextBox, Mediabox, and TextBox. None of which I can seem to find in the extensions or figure out how they are built in if they are. 

I'll keep going anyway and come back to you. That's feedback from the first few hours of play. All in all - great job! It's close. :) 

Screen Shot 2015-09-17 at 13.13.03.png

Simon

Just wondering, when you mentioned scrambled words in wordpress admin, did you mean the menu items in wordpress? Have you updated chrome yet as that was a known browser bug?

Simon

Thanks for the valuable UX feedback!

I'll address your bullet point issues tonight.

As for the textbox section, yes there is one in the works ;)

Andrew

Good feedback, @simon will follow up with you about any bugs.  The menu issue is almost for sure Chrome, but the page titles thing might need some dealing with.

A couple extensions we have slated: 

• ContentBox (Free)
  • White Label Plugin (PRO)
  • Templates

Simon

Hide post titles is fixed, the option was reversed.

Simon

Right so testing typekit, it does work as you can see..

Screen_Shot_2015-09-17_at_16.11.54.thumb

I just followed their instructions and added the info like so:

Screen_Shot_2015-09-17_at_16.12.58.thumb

Are you on localhost perhaps?

Did you add localhost, 127.0.0.1 to the kits domain settings on typekit? 

gavred

Hi Guys, 

Yeah you were right - it was a Chrome issue. So that's sorted. 

ContentBox and WhiteLabel sound good. Looking forward to seeing those. 

Re: Typekit - I think this must have an issue on my end. I added it into the custom CSS and it worked so happy days. 

maturb

• I can't figure out how to remove the pageslines logo from the bottom of the page without going into the code. It's not a footer.

Hi

I'd like to agree with @gavred opinion about PL Logo.

Here're few things from me:

• Child Themes (rules or basic child theme like for DMS2) - this is what I like in DMS2 that I can build a Theme almost from a scratch.
  • Page Builder Sidebar - is it possible to make fonts bigger or resizable? I'm working on 24" screen, know it's not 32" but for me all descriptions are bit to small
  • I missed Sections Highlight in PageBuilder. If I add a section it's turning blue for a moment but after that I don't know where it is unless I point at it.
    I know that I have Page Layout on Sidebar but it would be nice to take a look on the screen and see everything at once.
  • I appreciate the simplicity of Platform 5 but FOR ME it's all a bit too much light and gray. I don't know if it's there or going to disappear in a minute ;)

Thanks for your work and looking forward for upcoming features.

Andrew
  • Child Themes (rules or basic child theme like for DMS2) - this is what I like in DMS2 that I can build a Theme almost from a scratch.
    Child themes are supported, or you can use Framework as a starter theme. Im documenting. 
  • Page Builder Sidebar - is it possible to make fonts bigger or resizable? I'm working on 24" screen, know it's not 32" but for me all descriptions are bit to small
    We can improve this over time.
  • I missed Sections Highlight in PageBuilder. If I add a section it's turning blue for a moment but after that I don't know where it is unless I point at it.
    I know that I have Page Layout on Sidebar but it would be nice to take a look on the screen and see everything at once.
    Noted
  • I appreciate the simplicity of Platform 5 but FOR ME it's all a bit too much light and gray. I don't know if it's there or going to disappear in a minute
    Can you elaborate on that a bit?

WeAreFLux

How far off is a "text box" type section?

How do you add custom content to a page? 

Without it,  the plugin and the framework are pretty useless.

FLUX - Brand / Web / Strategy - HeyFlux.com

Andrew

Adding new sections is simple. Adding that would be < 1 hour of work. 

Give me the specs for what you want and and how you want it to work, elements works to accomplish most basic content layouts.

WeAreFLux

Give me the specs for what you want and and how you want it to work, elements works to accomplish most basic content layouts.

Essentially all it needs to be is a simple section that allows for html - thats it.

That way we can place that inside any container and create anything we need

Thanks

WeAreFLux

Also, the next priority would be an "image box" style section

Ideally, one that allowed for .svg files also: https://css-tricks.com/snippets/wordpress/allow-svg-through-wordpress-media-uploader/

Andrew

Simon's on this tomorrow, we'll make special HTMLbox, Textbox, Imagebox sections. We can be live with this by Monday.

maturb

• I appreciate the simplicity of Platform 5 but FOR ME it's all a bit too much light and gray. I don't know if it's there or going to disappear in a minute
    Can you elaborate on that a bit?

Sorry That was supposed to be with ;) at the end and true, not so clear what I mean...

I mean for example font and borders color or thickness in Page Builder.

Andrew

Gotcha, noted, lets start extremely simple and im sure the interface will evolve with the product :P