Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Andrew

New Extensions

Andrew

Most functionality for PL5 will be included via extensions.  If you feel like something important is missing lets chat here and establish which extensions will be most useful to add first.  

For example, a 'templates' extension. How should it work? 

Maybe an extension that adds shortcodes or additional standard section options. 

Let us know and let's get a consensus.

Brian

Templates Extension

This is definitely an important one. It's inefficient to have to repeat custom layout design for each blog post, product page, or anything else that will have the same look but for a specific purpose (e.g. you might change the look between two categories of your blog to differentiate between them.)

How should it work?

• Ability to save (using your own unique name) entire layout with added sections and custom css.
  • Ability to apply and unlock the template to a page/post and then modify as needed.

Essentially the same as in DMS2. I think a better question could be: Can template creation be improved from DMS2?

Missing Extensions (Default)

I do like the speed and direction of PL5. However, the starting point should at a minimum include these extensions:

• Rev Slider
  • Masthead
  • Boxes
  • Sidewalk
  • MultiMenu
  • Standard Section Options (couldn't this just be added to the core?)

Jackey

Full version of RevSlider shortcode can be placed in "Pagelines Any Content". However would love to see a "show only on page n" on every section, so it can be placed above the navigation without having to hide it on every page. 

Jackey

Basic extensions I would love to see are:

• Text Section with a decent editor (resizable).
  • Headline Section with breakpoints for responsive behavior
  • Floating Columns Text Section.
  • Spacer Section

oksodavid

Just a quick note to flag up on templating. In my experience, the most common workflow for design/site building in DMS was to create a design layout, save with uid, recall in new location, edit meta data/contents in new location. The issue with this in DMS was the ongoing sync with the original meta (sections retain their unique ID from original). It would be great to have a smooth workflow for this.

Andrew

Ok, i hear you on the templates.
Ya the good news is that if we do one extension and its not quite right, we can always give it another go after that. 

Regarding this extension request: 

• Rev Slider 
    An advanced slider is coming, but it probably wont be based on the revolution slider script (since its a beast)
  • Masthead
    This is covered in the Elements Section
  • Boxes
    This exists already.
  • Sidewalk
    Noted
  • MultiMenu
    Megamenu?
  • Standard Section Options (couldn't this just be added to the core?)
    We are keeping core as lean as humanly possible. That way it can evolve without being 'bloated'.

Brian

Ok, i hear you on the templates.
Ya the good news is that if we do one extension and its not quite right, we can always give it another go after that. 

• MultiMenu
    Megamenu?

How difficult would it be to get Megamenu behave like MultiMenu? (e.g. The push down menu vs entering from the side mobile options; and menu options when scrolling?)

• Sidewalk
    Noted

Also, wanted to know how difficult it would be to convert SideWalk to work with PL5.

You've mentioned a few times that it's really easy (for the most part) to create and add new extensions compared to earlier versions. I'm asking because if we're looking to upgrade existing client sites built with DMS2, trying to gauge how much won't convert (i.e. extensions no longer exist for PL5).

Andrew

Once we actually ship Platform, 80% of our ongoing effort will be put into developing extensions of all kinds for it. So you can bet that within a couple months we'll have everything and more that DMS has. 

We are avoiding the 3rd party extensions in the store this time so we have better control over quality. 

JaffaDave

Template Extensions are a must for our design process, we tend to design a set of templates that include layouts and all formatting and only have these available to the client, usually no more than 3 different screen formats that they can choose to layout within their given pages. The ability to build and save these and only allow access to these templates rather than the entire platform to us would be a studio delight.

We do it at present by custom building behind the WP engine, but to have this ability within platform would increase the efficiency here. 

On a side note any thoughts on user access levels to the platform???

onespirit

I haven't tried the platform 5 yet, but I would think a template extension would be a MUST INCLUDE extension on the core release.

I couldn't do what I do now with DMS 2 without them. My site often has 100's of pages using various custom post types and DMS allows me to customize as necessary. 

There are many scenarios where post type scope isn't enough for complete customization and having to design each page separate without a template that is one click away is way too cumbersome.

I would think you would want your current DMS users thinking and feeling that core DMS features were blown away with improvements in Framework 5 not steps back until new extensions are released.

At least for something so vital anyways.

I seem to  recall seeing complaints moving from previous Pagelines frames works to the first version of DMS in the forums after I first became a member about this kind of thing.

It made me wonder about what would happen when DMS 2 was upgraded. I don't think a repeat of that is a good idea.

I'm sure you guys have thought of that already though.

alisamski

Have to say, we use Page{Less} alot... find it extremely useful. And was just told it was a third party extension.. Even M. just emailed me that it now works with DMS 2.2.

If we can have an extension working for custom css on a page level only, it would make my life easier anyway!

Just saying, thrilled to be part of the beta.

Simon

Have to say, we use Page{Less} alot... find it extremely useful. And was just told it was a third party extension.. Even M. just emailed me that it now works with DMS 2.2.

If we can have an extension working for custom css on a page level only, it would make my life easier anyway!

Just saying, thrilled to be part of the beta.

Noted

Shouldnt be too much hassle to add per page options into the less plugin, we'll see.. ;)

JudithKlinger

I would think you would want your current DMS users thinking and feeling that core DMS features were blown away with improvements in Framework 5 not steps back until new extensions are released.

Agree with onespirit on this. Worried about waiting for new extensions...

Andrew

We will be working on new extensions once the core is fully tested and released. It wont be long.