Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Audun MB

Editing all instances of a template (Default)?

Audun MB

I don't like the way the default template is set up, but editing it seems to be limited to post types. How do I edit the default template itself? For instance to make a default sidebar? Or do I have to go trough all the different types to edit the default template, recreating the sidebar for each type?

Danny

Hi,

I apologise, but I am not sure what you mean? If you apply a template to any page or type that has a widgetized section with sidebar assigned to, it should appear on all pages that use that template. Can you go into more detail as to what you're experiencing please.

Please search our forums, before posting!

Audun MB

This is what happens. Using the Default template, I add a NavBar section to the sidebar, and press publish. With Page Handling set to Type, this affects the current post type, which is "Post". When the type is  "Blog", "Category", "Page" or custom post types, there's no NavBar in the sidebar. While this is the expected behaviour, I wonder whether there is a way to add (or remove) a section to (from) all the different types affected by the Default template?

Danny

Okay, I see what you mean. Unfortunately, no, it can only be type or local based. The simplest way around this would be to load you default template onto a new post type and then unlink the template and then save it as a different template.

Audun MB

OK, follow up question. If I install Powerloop every category seems to be handled as another "type". How do I turn that off sitewide? While that can be useful for some categories, having to handle the same sidebar elements 85 times (lots of sub-categories) is not. 

Danny

Unfortunately, you can't. It's either type or local, there is no other option.

Audun MB

Is there a workaround so that Powerloop templates will default to my Default template, rather to the original Default template (with Primary sidebar and RapidTabs)?

Danny

You can create your own template and then set that template as a default. This means that whenever you create a new page, it will use the template you created rather than the DMS default one.

Audun MB

You can create your own template and then set that template as a default. This means that whenever you create a new page, it will use the template you created rather than the DMS default one.

This works for new pages, but for all the categories I already have it seems like I have to manually edit each and everyone of them if I want to use Powerloop. 

I tried to deactivate Powerloop, set my new template as the global default and then reactivate Powerloop, but each and every instance of a Category page still uses the old Default template (with RapidTabs in the sidebar) when Powerloop is active. 

Any way to remove this? Does uninstalling and then reinstalling Powerloop help? Powerloop is a powerful thing, which I would like to use, but this is annoying. 

Danny

You can only have one template assigned to a category page. You can not have individual templates on a per category basis, this also applies to individual posts. Therefore, if you wish to have different widgets on category pages, you're going to need to use the Widget logic plugin.

Audun MB

I can add a Breadcrumb-section to the Posts-type, but not the Category-type, even if they both use the Default template. Right?

With powerloop enabled each category acts as a "type" for templates (says "Mode: Type | Type: PL Category News | Template Default" on the top tool thingy), which means that I can add sections to each category. So even if I assign the Default template to category pages, I can add different sections to different categories, just as I can for have posts look different than pages with the same template. That's nice. 

What isn't nice is that the RapidTabs section appears above the sidebar on all my category pages if I enable Powerloop. I removed it from my Default template for the category type, but if I enable Powerloop it comes back for each "PL Category whatever"-type. 

Danny

Can you provide a video of this, as I am unable to recreate it on my end.

Audun MB

No good at making screencast videos, but some pictures at least. 

How my category page looks without Powerloop. I've set Default as the global standard, and removed the RapidTabs section from the sidebar in this template (for Type Category).

6724536731959296.png?k=iSNd3luP8z9MnnDMN

I reinstall and activate Powerloop (latest version) and it looks like this:

6048978708725760.png?k=jCAwpHVNPpcMsx2p3

Current type is now "PL Powerloop <category>". I can go trough each and every category and remove the RapidTabs section. If a add a new category, RapidTabs shows up there as well. It seems like there is a default for these type templates based on the original default category template from Pagelines, rather than using the global default set by me. 

I tried deactivating all plugins that are non-standard for Pagelines (kept the ones recommended or made by you), but that didn't change anything. 

Danny

Hi,

It is not possible to have different templates assigned to categories on a cat by cat basis. Therefore, please send me a PM with the following:

* A link to this topic so I know what your PM is regarding
* A link to the site in question
* Your admin username/password
* Make sure all plugins are disabled.

Also, in your screenshots above, you have Delete Cache in the WP Toolbar, why are you designing your site with a cache plugin active ?

Danny

WP Super Cache is still active, you haven't flushed the cache on the plugins settings, please do so. Otherwise, I will not be able to proceed and also disable all plugins. Can you link me to the page in question too, as I don't speak Norwegian.

Audun MB

No, you're probably looking at the active site, not the dev-site. Please login to the dev-site with details sent by PM. 

Audun MB

But just to be sure. You've tried this on a clean install right? And then "Type" doesn't change as described above per category archive with Powerloop active?

Audun MB

Weird, it was deactivated. Seems I have to delete the cache first for that message to go away. 

Audun MB

But seriously, am I the only who is seeing this (see picture) with Powerloop installed (and Pro tools active)? I think we need to figure that out before we can proceed with anything. 

6048978708725760.png

Audun MB

BTW: after thinking about this, it makes perfect sense that I can't do what I want to do. As each type of Category archive registers as a different "Type", there's no way to set a global standard for them. Modifying a template for "Type: Page" won't affect how it looks for "Type: Post" or "Type: Blog". Same goes for the different types of category archives obviously. 

Still it would be nice to control this in some way. I guess the option have to be added to the Powerloop plugin.

That if, unless the whole functionality is a mysterious side effect of something else installed on my site? Could you please confirm or disprove that?

Danny

You have me confused. I have already stated above that you can not have individual templates loaded on category pages, the same way you can not have templates on a post by post basis. Once you have set a template for a category, that template will be used on all categories for that post type, the same goes for posts.

This will not be changed in the future.

Audun MB

OK, maybe the "template" term is the confusing part. I'll try to explain again:

Templates in Pagelines are connected to (Post?) "Type", and can be customized for each "Type". So pages with the "Default" template would look different than posts with the "Default" template. 

Powerloop makes each Category archive page act as a "Type". So while I only can have one template asigned to "Category archives", I can still make customisations for each Category, like adding a custom section on the top for Category A, which won't be there when I view the category archive for Category B.

The issue is that there is no way to make a default for what the Category archives "Type" would look like. So each category archive page has the default look of Category archive pages in Pagelines, with a sidecolumn with a RapidTabs section and a Primary sidebar section.

I can customize each category "Type" as much as I want, but I have to do it for each category, and have to do it again if someone adds a new category to the page. 

Danny

No, you can not have different sections on different categories in DMS. If you assign a template to a category, that template will be used on all categories for that post type. So it is not possible for you to assign Template A to the Music category and add a TextBox with the text "You're currently viewing the Music Category.". As that will appear on category pages i.e. Movies, News, Gaming etc...

That is why when a user has asked this in the past, we have said that they will need to either create their own section or use the NextBox section and use the PHP snippet from the WordPress Codex.

Audun MB

This is like talking to a wall. But could you please answer this:

But seriously, am I the only who is seeing this (see picture) with Powerloop installed (and Pro tools active)? I think we need to figure that out before we can proceed with anything. 

6048978708725760.png