Dale

Change Height of Fixed Region (Above Header)

Dale

In default state, the Pagelines DMS 2 fixed region (just above the header region) has a height of 50px.

Why isn't there some simple way to make this region larger? Currently, my logo placed there is super-tiny.

Can the height of this fixed region be changed without breaking something else in the process?

Does this simple change actually require custom CSS?

Please advise...

Thanks,

Dale 

Danny

Hi Dale,

The fixed region doesn't have a fixed height, if you place a MediaBox in there and add an image with a height of 500px the Fixe region will become 500px in height. If you have a Fixed region of 50px it is likely because you have added a Navigation section to it, which has a set height.

Edited by Danny (see edit history)

Please search our forums, before posting!

Dale

Hi Danny,

Thank you for your reply.

Actually, I haven't added anything to this Fixed region.

All I have done is to change the "Navboard Logo" from the default "DMS 2" to my own logo using an image that is 100 px square. Yet, it something seems to cause my logo to appear very small. 

So based on your comment, I tried adding a MediaBox but the system doesn't allow me to add the MediaBox element to this Fixed region....strange.

Anyway, I'll keep experimenting if there isn't any hard-coded reason why the size of this area is fixed.

Thanks again,

Dale

Dale

Hi again Danny,

Apologies but I'm getting a little frustrated.

I simply cannot add a MediaBox component to the Fixed region at the top of the page.

All attempts to place my own "Navboard Logo" of various sizes result in a reduction to 50px...even if the starting images is 512px x 512px.

I'm not doing anything custom or fancy. 

I just want my logo to appear in place of the default "DMS 2" and I want it to be larger than 50px square and nothing I do seems able to achieve that outcome.

Do you have any idea why my "Navboard Logo" is reduced to 50px no matter what size image is selected?

Appreciate any insight you can offer as this is really killing my workflow.

Thanks and kind regards,

Dale

Dale

Hi again Danny,

I believe you may have misunderstood my original question.

Your reply made reference to the - "fixed header".

Actually, I'm referring to the "Fixed Region" just above the "fixed header", i.e. at the very top of the page.

Chrome Developer Tools shows this to be - div.pl-area-pad.fix 1905px  x  50px

Again, I'm referring to the global region that doesn't move or disappear during vertical scroll on the page.

Also, is there anything built into Pagelines DMS that would prevent having a global "Fixed Region" at the bottom of the page (separate from the footer) that also doesn't move during vertical scroll?...it would be identical to what you see on this page: 

http://www.cognizant.com/

So, in summary I have (2) questions:

1) Is it possible to place a Navboard Logo in the global fixed region and not have it scaled down to a 50px div?

and

2) Is it possible to have a global fixed region at the very bottom of the page that is responsive and that doesn't move during vertical scroll, similar to the top fixed region?

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Dale

Dale

Hi again Danny,

Sorry for the multiple posts.

After further research, I see that the "Fixed Footer" is not at all a new feature request.

I have found your posting on this from a year ago:

I believe I can follow the train of discussion here to solve my problem...however, I would like to know if there has been any updates to the above suggested approach to achieving a fixed footer? For example, is this feature now included in an alpha/beta release of DMS 2?...if so, I would happily use it if it could be made available.

Anyway, I'll let you know if the "Hook" approach to fixing the footer works but I'm still stuck on the first question.

Cheers,

Dale

Danny

Hi Dale,

When I mentioned Fixed header, I was referring to the Fixed Region not the Header region.

There should be no issue on adding a MediaBox to the Fixed region. If you're having issues with this, can you record the issue please using either Jing, QuickCast or RecordIt.

No section has a fixed height, as I mentioned in my first reply. However, some sections have a set height, such as Navi or NavBar. If you upload an image to one of these sections, regardless of your logo images height, it will be reduced to meet the min-height of that navigation sections. Therefore, if you wish to exceed this min-height restriction (which I wouldn't recommend) you will need to override the default CSS for that section.

1. Can you provide a link to the site in question so I can see exactly your issue, as I am not entirely sure what you're having issue with.

2. There are four regions in DMS Framework which are; Fixed, Header, Template and Footer. There is no way out of the box to achieve a fixed footer region. If you wish to have this functionality, you will need to use custom code. This level of customisation is beyond our support scope.

Dale

Hi Danny,

Thanks for your reply and your (patience) with my rapid-fire questions.

I'm doing local development so I don't have an external site for you to look at.

However, I am making some progress.

Based on your post to another forum member (over a year ago), I've managed to solve the second question and have successfully created a child theme and modified the function.php and styles.css files to create the fixed footer. But, if there is an easy way to "drop" the equivalent of the "social links" section into this fixed footer I would LOVE to know about it.

Regarding the first issue with the Navboard Logo, I think I understand this better now.

It appears that what I am experiencing is consistent with the logo being reduced to meet the min-height setting of the Navi section...which is actually - 62px x 62px and this is way too small to look at all professional.

It also appears that what I have been attempting to do is to add a MediaBox to the Navi Section - NOT to the Fixed Region directly. So, it appears that I cannot "nest" a MediaBox Section into a Navi Section....duh!!!

So, if I may now re-phrase my remaining question it would be as follows - "Is there a way to create within the Fixed Region the equivalent of the Navi Section without using the Navi Section? Basically I want a global fixed region at the top of the page to host the same elements as the Navi Section hosts - Logo, Menu and Search.

Thanks again for your help.

Dale

Dale

Hi Danny,

Problems solved!

I deleted the Navi Section entirely from the Fixed Region and replaced it with the MultiMenu Section...this seems to accomplish what I was seeking with a little more tweaking.

Thanks again...I'm sure this won't be the last time you'll hear from me.

Cheers,

Dale

Danny

Thanks for informing us the issue has been resolved, we appreciate it.

Nancy Miller

Redevelop successful business strategies using mobile applications for android and iphone! Launch famous http://appyresto.com app maker to get new customized software for restaurants, hotels and tourism.