Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mnagillum

site does not print well

mnagillum

New PageLInes DMS site, ndpointstrategies.com, looks awful when we attempt to print to paper. Another site I built using PageLInes DMS, alexmyo.com, prints fine. Any tips for improving the look of the new site when people try to print it?

Thanks in advance.

Danny

Hi,

Both sites appear exactly the same when you do a print preview. The only difference being your header image isn't visible on the NDPoint site. This is likely due to its size and not DMS itself. Therefore, I am not sure what to recommend except reducing the image size.

Please search our forums, before posting!

mnagillum

Why does the menu occupy a huge black rectangle overlapping my content? How can I get rid of it?

Screen Shot 2015-08-04 at 2.16.37 PM.png

Danny

That's the mobile menu and should only appear when you're on a mobile device and click the hamburger icon. Also, does that appears when you attempt to the print the page? As it doesn't when I attempt to print your page via a print preview.

mnagillum

Danny, yes. The mobile menu overprints the top of the home page when printed in Chrome. It does not do so in Firefox, but the icons under the word Services don't print in either Chrome or Firefox. Chrome prints an additional four pages of gold background. The footer prints okay in both. 

The site is http://ndpointstrategies.com.

Danny

Can you take screenshots of your issue in each browser please, as I am not seeing the issue you're describing. Unless, I am misunderstanding you.

mnagillum

Screenshot with black mobile menu overprinting page. This is how the site prints in Chrome. 

Screen_Shot_2015-08-04_at_2.16.37_PM.thu

Screen Shot 2015-08-06 at 12.01.12 PM.pdf

I'm unable to upload any additional screen shots even though they are smaller than the allowed file size. :-(

Simon

I'm unable to upload any additional screen shots even though they are smaller than the allowed file size. :-(

There are 1000's of free image host sites, I recommend http://imgur.com/ Simply upload your images there then paste the forum link they give you, simples ;)

We have to limit the amount of space for pictures, if everyone uploaded their quota that would be 50G of space, we simply dont have the room ;)

mnagillum

Hi again,
I am still struggling with this site, ndpointstrategies.com. All pages are now printing well in Firefox after I added the following custom code to the stylesheet:

@media print {
    #body {
        background: white;
        font-size: 8pt;
    }

#footer {
        font-size: 8pt;
    }

#menu {
        display: none;
    }
}

Safari and Chrome do not seem to be reading this code, however. The problem described above, with the mobile menu overprinting content, persists in Chrome. In Safari, the text does not reduce as I'd like it to for printing, and the icons under the introductory section disappear. I have no idea how this is working in IE.

Any ideas for how I can get the other browsers to print properly? 

Thanks much!

Danny

How are you testing this exactly in Safari and Chrome? As I have gone to Chrome, Safari and FireFox and performed a print preview and all three browsers are consistent in the preview. Your site looks exactly the same in all three browsers when performing a print preview.

In all three tests, the navigation menu isn't displaying in the same fashion has your screenshot above. Therefore, can you provide exact steps on how you're testing this please.

mnagillum

I've actually printed the pages as well as printed to PDF. Print preview in Chrome shows me exactly the same problem (see attached), plus Chrome is adding five blank pages between the main content and the footer, and the five icons don't show up at all. At this point, printing is acceptable in all browsers except Chrome.

In Safari, the page is now printing exactly the way it appears on screen, so it's ignoring the code I've added but working anyway.

Firefox prints the way I've asked it to in the code--white background, smaller type size.

IE doesn't print the main image (it's a background image), and then stacks the icons vertically so wastes a lot of paper. Not ideal, but it still prints all of the content.

Screen Shot 2015-08-11 at 8.22.41 AM.png

Danny

Can you upload your screenshot to an image hosting service such as Imgur so we can see the screenshot. As, the one you have attached is tiny and unable to see it clearly.

Also, I do not have a not a printer, therefore, can you provide screenshots of your printed pages please.

mnagillum

All of the pages are printing somewhat acceptably in Firefox, Safari, and IE. In Chrome, a mystery mobile menu overprints the righthand side of the content. It's the same as in the earlier screen shot, except now it's white instead of black because I added code to print black on white. My client is security-conscious, so I don't want screen shots floating around on Imgur, sorry. If this is the only way to troubleshoot a problem in PageLInes, I'll be transferring my clients' sites to another theme. Thanks.