Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webmktco

PageLines forum is being indexed by Google

webmktco

I wanted to bring to your attention that the support forum (http://forum.pagelines.com/) is being indexed by Google.

While this may sound like a great idea to the PageLines team, I really would prefer you block your forums to search engines and non-members.

I don't want my problems being broadcasted all over the internet. When people search for my business name or my clients' name, I've seen this forum show up in the search results in Google.

A year or two ago I brought this to your attention and you blocked it from the search results. Can you please do this again?

Simon

Its a public forum, if you dont want a post to appear then use the ticket system by emailing support.

What posts would you like deleting?

webmktco

I think you should reconsider blocking search engines from the forum.

The reason I post issues and questions to the forum instead of submitting a ticket is to see if anyone else is having the same issue.

It will make your job easier if people post their problems online... For example, I search the forum to find a solution before I submit my problem.

Now that the forum is indexed by Google, I will not post questions. 

I don't want my competitors being able to see my issues when they search my clients and business name.

I don't see why it makes a big difference to you or anyone at PageLines. But for agencies and developers who post questions with links to their client sites, I think we'd all be very appreciative if you would block search engines from the forum.

Simon

You dont have to mention any client or business names in a post, if you have sensitive urls then use the private message feature.

I have a problem with a client site

The problem is: I cant seem to line up the footer

URL available on request

Danny will then ask you for the URL via private message.

I can delete any posts if you'll just point me at them. Or you can edit the content yourself to remove any urls 

webmktco

Simon, 

I have to say that your response goes to show the arrogance of you and the PageLines staff.

Your response to my request and the others @ PageLines to the Is PageLines Losing Momentum thread (http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/38947-is-pagelines-dms-losing-momentum/) just goes to show how clueless you people are.

I think you're going to regret your decision. Especially when people like me will start bad mouthing your product. 

As an SEO I'm well-versed in how to "bring to light" certain qualities. It would really suck when people Google "PageLines" to find the top results bashing your product.

Be mindful how you treat your current clients, it could come back to bite you in the @ss.

James Giroux

Hey There,

Um, I'm not sure threatening to bad mouth PageLines is going to get you what you want. 

As to your issue, rather than only seeing it from your perspective see it from other's perspective too. 

I go to Google to ask a question about PageLines because their search algorithm is better and gets me more accurate results. That's a customer service bonus for me. 

As far as Simon's response, he's offered to delete any post you would like, has offered an alternative and private solution to your issue and then another option as well. 

The company did not agree with your logic and as is the right of the company, they made a business decision to not fulfill your request. 

I think the response was fine, the options provided more than enough to satisfy the original issue and honestly, above and beyond for a community forum. 

Also, as a fellow business owner I would say if you're worried about people searching your name, creating a post that is aggressive and threatening probably isn't the best way to secure clients. 

James Giroux, CEO
Groundwork

webmktco

James,

This has nothing to do with you. So just step away and mind your own business.

jmad

Multiple users have asked for the forum not to be indexed.  What's the point of a private support forum if it's indexed?  If your an open source product like Wordpress, I get it but for a paid professional product we should be able to count on the forum search to work.  I would think it would be simple to at least Disallow the forum using Google webmaster.  

@groundwork if your James why are you showing as a newbie?...like the new icon/logo!  Pagelines has a history of barely listening to customers and well, needs to listen to it's customers.  If indexing is helping Pageline's SEO but not satisfying customers then it's pretty clear where the needs/wants of Pagelines' customers rank in the Pagelines' business model.

I think the aggression Pagelines is receiving from multiple users is again because of lack of communication – not specifically over the forum but in general.   However, the forum changes are a great example.  Most companies that I pay for services notify users about changes of nearly any sort in advance.  I never received a notice that the forum was getting an upgrade/change.  I never received a notice that there wouldn't be any extensions for June and now probably July unless something is released in the next three days.

On top of that, there are still numerous forum threads that although responded to, the issue doesn't ever seem to resolve. 

I think all of this together is leaving a really bad taste in some peoples mouths.  @groundwork as far as your "bad mouth" comment goes, I agree that it doesn't help but it's not bad mouthing if the facts are true...it's just stating the facts.   So if DMS users start sharing in reviews or social media that Pagelines isn't delivering on it's advertised obligations to customers then you have a real problem.  Again, much of this could have been avoided with some communication.

@webmktco Hang in there.  DMS has the potential to be great if the team can get it there.

Danny

@webmktco
@jmad

The forum isn't private, it is a public forum. The reason is it public, isn't related to SEO, but to allow our users to search for answers to questions that may have been asked in the forums. The only restriction of our forum is when you wish to post a topic in the specific forum(s) as these are for active license and club subscribers.

@webmktco

If my memory serves me correctly, I remember handling your request a few years ago (could be wrong), where you wanted certain URLs, brand names and/or clients URL/Brandname being removed from all you posts. I didn't block anything as you stated above, I simply amended your posts and removed all mentions of these URL's and brandnames. We didn't do anything specific. I almost remember informing you (again could be confusing you with another user) that if you need to post a private URL in the future to either use a URL masking service or send the URL via a private message. 

This forum is public forum for the reason I mentioned above and will remain that way.

In regards to your request, if you can link to the topics(s)/post(s) where you want this private information removed, I will go ahead and do this for. 

Please search our forums, before posting!

Simon

I'm sure you will all be happy to know we have a premium support forum now. If you have a leaf next to your name, you will already have access to this new forum.

You cant miss it, its right at the top of the forum index. Its only visible to form moderators and people with the leaf.

Topics posted in this area are only visible by the topic author and the mods, nobody else can see your posts.

If you dont have the leaf simply log out and click the 'Login With PageLines' button in the forum login screens.

If you have any active subscription you will get the leaf.