Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aires

(WOW) Digital Ocean :)

Aires

After a couple complaints from clients about server issues with my current host provider I started looking for a better alternative. 

I have seen digital ocean and linode tossed around on the forums but was wasnt sure if it was something i could do. But I love a challenge so i dove into DO and move over my family blog. 

It was a bit difficult at first it took me 4 to 5 droplets to get things straight ... I just could not for the life of me get the ssh keys to work ( I kept getting server refused your key) so I put that aside and just went with root and key from lastpass.

The difference is awesome I wish i would have done some speed test before the move.

Really love this just hate I'm late to the party but client is happy.

~Aires

ndTgvai.jpg

Visit iheartpagelines.com for the latest tutorials on PageLines related products.

Danny

Yeah, if you're used to shared hosting and then migrate to a VPS such as the ones provided by AWS, Digital Ocean or Linode. You will most certainly be shocked by the performance.

Please search our forums, before posting!

Aires

Hi, 

In the span of about 2 weeks I consumed so much info on vps setup it was crazy and every tutorial did it differently it seems like.

Because you are going to make some mistakes  I went with the smallest server  DO had till I felt like i got a good understanding of things before I went big.

DO has some great tutorials on their site and there is a youtube channel called oceancasts with some good ones also. I used his cpanel tutorial to set up cpanel on the server but that seemed to bog down things even when i bumped the cpu/ram. 

I eventually ended up with serverpilot it installs all the things needed to run wordpress and keeps them up to date.  IMO the best solution .

This may help also http://www.mybloggingthing.com/digitalocean-serverpilot-wordpress-setup/

Aires

ndTgvai.jpg

Visit iheartpagelines.com for the latest tutorials on PageLines related products.

dario

Excellent!

Thanks.

rsmm

Another good VPS host, that is cheaper than Digital Ocean (and DO is cheap!):

https://www.vultr.com/

They have a one-click WordPress install and great server locations.

Simon

Another good VPS host, that is cheaper than Digital Ocean (and DO is cheap!):

https://www.vultr.com/

They have a one-click WordPress install and great server locations.

JUst checked them out, they have some good options.

Rob Thomas

DO is great. The tutorials are mostly out of date or off or incomplete. it's fairly easy to spin up and configure a droplet once you've done it (maybe a good idea to jot down your own guide for yourself with best practices etc). eventually, when I have more time, I'm moving my flywheel sites over. I still remember the days when having any domain and virtual server with a host required some basic Unix.