Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lisa Haran

Mobile site testing

Lisa Haran

Hi 

My site www.iloveoffset.com stats dropped radically

In the lead up to our annual conference Jan-Mar our unique visitor stat is around 128K

This year it was just under 58K, I knew the site was crashing for some people in safari on iphone and ipad but didn't realise the to what extent until after the conference and we checked the stats.

The new site uses a one page scroller and I'm now wondering if I should revert to a standard top menu with multiple pages to avoid this happening again.

Is there someone I could pay to test my site on all devices as it currently stands and let me know their thoughts.

I removed a slideshow on the homepage that had 30 large slides and some other content and so far it's ok when viewed on an iphone, little slow to load.

BUT as we are launching an additional conference from June onwards the traffic will increase so I want to make sure my site is crash proof in as much I can.

Thanks

Lisa Haran

really! is there no one who can give me feedback on this please

Danny

Sliders shouldn't house 30 slides that is far too many. The standard number of slides a typical site will have is between 2-6. I have been to a site that would have 30 slides, there is no wonder your site was crashing on mobile devices if you had that many.

In my opinion, you simply have too much content on your site that relies on JavaScript i.e. Slider, Masonic section, a third party Facebook card plugin and videos too. If you're having on average just over 10,000 visitors per month, then that and your hosting is likely the cause.

I would remove the slider completely or have no more than 6 slides. Then try removing that Facebook card plugin and the Masonic or reduce the number of items you have displayed.

Also, who is your host and what package/plan do you have with them ?

Please search our forums, before posting!

Lisa Haran

Cheers Danny,

As our content is highly visual we need different methods to showcase this, hence the reason we use the 3rd party plugin and the masonic section.

Our audience are all from creative disciplines so we need a very visual site that houses slideshow's, video galleries, news post masonic....BUT probably not all on the one page!

I totally agree about the slider so now we only house 6 slides.

Maybe the fact that we house all the content on one page , so if I restructured the site to house multiple pages do you think this would help?

Our site is uses shared hosting with Blacknight

https://www.blacknight.com/maximus-hosting.html

Again I'm going to look into this after the weekend.

Thanks for the feedback, and is there someone I can hire for a day of testing once we have the site restructured to test on other devices so we can prevent the loss of traffic again.

There is no coincidence that this loss in stats only occurred when we redesigned the site for a one page scroller.

Danny

If you look at most websites that utilitise a one page website, for the most part it is just mainly text and images, it isn't slides, js masonic content and other components like that. It is mainly text and images. So if you want a one page website, you will need to manage to the content and how it looks differently.

Also, I can not stress this enough, it doesn't matter who the host is, Shared hosting is horrid. I would recommend either FlyWheel or purchase a VPS from Digital Ocean or Linode. 

Lisa Haran

cheers danny,

you are so right, we need to move away from shared hosting, thanks for the recommendations.

I'll move away from the one page scroller and divide the js elements up so the page isn't overloaded.

Lisa Haran

Hi Danny

Working on getting dedicated hosting but for the moment shared hosting it is.

still having issues with viewing my site on a mobile

I want to just add a full width header image instead of the slider.

So using the revslider I have just added one slide, as there is no other option that I can see to add a static full width image.

When I look at the site on a mobile, it takes ages to load, also there is a murky off cream colour that appears while the revslider is loading, and I want the default to be white, is there anyway of changing this?

Lisa Haran

ok so removed the slider and added a full width media box and it works better, however I would have opted for this initially only for the fact that my full width media box works at random times.

by that i mean, that if I drag it on the template, sometimes it sticks for me to edit, and other times I drag it and nothing happens.

Getting very frustrated with DMS

Danny

The issues you're encounter shouldn't be happening. I am unable to recreate any of the issues you're experiencing and, therefore, your issues are either server related or caused by plugins.

Lisa Haran

Hi Danny,

It's not server related and I have deactivated all plugins and it still happens. I have to be honest since I started with DMS it's so buggy, I found pagelines more robust.

All I want is a full screen site and to add a full screen gallery OR static images when required on various page templates.

Could you recommend someone to contact that I can pay to look at my site and fix these bugs for me?

Lisa Haran

Danny, is there somewhere else I should be posting requesting paid technical assistance on my site as I would like to resolve the several issues I have as soon as is possible and I do require help.

• Similar Content

• Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      My DMS 2 site http://www.heart-stone.com/ will not save any new custom css... I can still edit templates and publish those but any custom css that I enter never saves.
      All WP files, themes, and plugins are up to date. 
      Any thought about what might be causing this?
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      Is there a way to edit the custom CSS via FTP? I know I can edit the custom code in the Chrome editor but is there a file path I can use to find and edit the CSS directly from our FTP?
      Thanks in advance for the help!
    • nizami
      By nizami+
      Using navbar section with correctly configured WP menu to display main navigation at https://elenaangel.com. 
      All fine in desktop viewport. Menu displays twice in hamburger mode. How to fix this please?