Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thwarted

Site optimisation: removing unnecessary DNS lookups

thwarted
Hi all,

In trying to optimise the speed of our site I'm looking at reducing the number of e.g. DNS requests and file accesses.

I notice that the following requests are made when loading the front page: 

graph.facebook.com
urls.api.twitter.com
api.pinterest.com

I do not have any of the social guff configured or activated within the DMS settings. Is there a way of preventing unnecessary lookups such as those listed above?

Regards

Simon

Are you using an out of date version? The social guff as you put it only appears if you have the guff enabled on a page.

thwarted

Simon,

AFAIK we've only been using PageLines for around a month, and have all the updater plug-ins, so in theory should be up-to-date.

I asked in a prior message where the version information actually was, but don't believe I received a response. I can see on the Theme Details page (i.e. themes.php?theme=iblogpro6) the following:

Version: 1.2

but that appears to be it, and even then it's not clear to what that version number refers given all the talk of DMS2. I have DMS2 but there's nothing obvious corroborating that!

Regards

Danny

Can you provide a link to the site in question and make sure DMS debug mode is active please (WordPress Admin Dashboard > PageLines, scroll down and check the option DMS debug mode).

Please search our forums, before posting!

thwarted

Danny,

More than happy to do this and appreciate your time, but can you please just confirm the DMS debug mode is not going to affect the look and feel of the site? I don't want to enable it on a live www if it changes its appearance.

FYI I'm still getting those individual requests to Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and LinkedIn from pl.common.js:516 and do not knowingly have any of those configured as options.

Also while you're having a look, the following request:

/wp-content/themes/iblogpro6/dms/fonts/fontawesome-webfont.woff?v=4.2.0

is resulting in a 404 which is adding a few unnecessary ms to the whole load time.

Sorry, still don't know what version of everything I'm running in case that's an old bug.

Regards

Danny

DMS debug mode will not cause any issues with your live site, it simply prints out your debug info via the url like so:

http://www.mywebsite.com/?pldebug=1

If you're getting a 404 from the Font awesome .woff resource, then it is likely you do not have the file uploaded. Can you view your site via an FTP client and see if this is the case, as there should be no 404 on that file. Also, how did you install the theme ?

thwarted

Danny,

Thanks for that. Have enabled the Debug Mode in

Dashboard > PageLines > Enable DMS Debug Mode

The site itself is in my profile.

Will look at the requisite folder over FTP. I'm presuming that if I uploaded the original theme Zip file that it should be contained within that?

Regards

Danny

If your site is the one in your profile that only admins and mods can see, then DMS debug mode isn't active on that site.

thwarted

Danny,

I've enabled Debug using the only two options I'm aware of (as per attached image) and the debug info itself is below:

WordPress Version

WordPress Debug
Disabled

Multisite Enabled
No

Current Role
Administrator

Framework Path
D:\home\site\wwwroot/wp-content/themes/iblogpro6/dms

Framework URI

Framework Version

PHP Version

WP_DEBUG
No

WP memory limit
40 MB

WP MAX memory limit
256 MB

PHP memory limit
256 MB

Mysql version

WP Max Upload Size
8 MB

PHP POST Max Size
8 MB

PHP Max Execution Time
300s

PHP type
Cgi-fcgi

WebServer software
Microsoft-IIS/8.0

PHP User
Posix functions are disabled on this host. Not necessarily a problem, but if the user needs FTP/SFTP to install plugins/themes then creating CSS files might be an issue.

OS
WINNT

Installed Plugins
dms-dev-tools/dms-dev-tools.php
dms-plugin-pro/dms-plugin-pro.php
enable-media-replace/enable-media-replace.php
gtmetrix-for-wordpress/gtmetrix-for-wordpress.php
pagelines-updater/pagelines-updater.php
redirection/redirection.php
updraftplus/updraftplus.php
upload-larger-plugins/upload-larger-plugins.php
wordpress-seo/wp-seo.php
wp-mail-smtp/wp_mail_smtp.php

The URL for the site described in my forums profile here should begin 'www.e...' and it's a public facing theme (if it helps shed light, when I originally registered it was a behind-locked-doors dev site).

Regards

Danny

OK you're using a Windows based server, that is the cause of your issue. Windows based server are not really ideal for websites, as they have weird setups. I think the best course of action would be to switch the industry standard of a Linux based server.

You're also using an out of date version of DMS, if you update it there was an update that did remove some social networks loading from the get go. 

thwarted

Danny,

I have the PageLines Updater plugin installed v1.2.6 and activated. Is there anything more I should be doing?

Regards

Danny

Can you send me a PM with your sites login information please so I can login and see what is going on. Also, when sending the PM be sure to include a link to this topic so I know what the PM is regarding.

thwarted

Danny,

This PM was sent a few days ago. Did you have a chance to look at the site and confirm the extraneous social lookups?

If so I'd quite like to hear your findings (and change the password back!) :)

Regards

Danny

Hi Phil,

So I have logged into your website and found that you're not evening using DMS, but iBlogPro 6 and there is no other theme installed. Therefore, no update is required, I was fooled into thinking you were using DMS and with your debug info printing 2.1.6.1, 

Also, in-regards to your social media calls, this appears to be coming from your WPSEO Admin bar plugin and not iBlogPro ? Have you tried disabling these plugins and see if this makes any difference ?

thwarted

Thanks for the update. To address the first issue:

There continues to be some mystery surrounding what PageLines products I'm using that I hoped my customer profile - if there is such a thing - would clarify.

I'd really like to be open and honest about what I've bought and what I'm using, particularly as I've been really more than pleased with their performance and ease of use - not to mention the time you've spent answering questions here. But there is presently no obvious way of me providing you with product and version information. When I login to the dashboard it says "Welcome to DMS!"; I have the Dms Developer Tools and DMS Professional Tools plugins. So you will forgive me for thinking that iBlogPro (which is what I bought) and DMS (which is what I use) were essentially interchangeable from a support point of view!

To address the second:

As per my previous message, if you step through the code, the requests appear to be being made by pl.common.js on line 516. I'd disabled the SEO admin as a prior step, as I know you're hot on third party plugins being the root of many problems - and which I know they often are. So I wanted to discount that from the off.

In short, those requests are still being made.

Regards

thwarted

I've marked this topic solved - by me. To summarise, the theme is making unrequested requests to:

graph.facebook.com
urls.api.twitter.com
api.pinterest.com
linkedin.com

and to prevent it doing so required a modification to the PageLines js source.

In the event this gets fixed in the head please let me know.

• Similar Content

• Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      My DMS 2 site http://www.heart-stone.com/ will not save any new custom css... I can still edit templates and publish those but any custom css that I enter never saves.
      All WP files, themes, and plugins are up to date. 
      Any thought about what might be causing this?
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      Is there a way to edit the custom CSS via FTP? I know I can edit the custom code in the Chrome editor but is there a file path I can use to find and edit the CSS directly from our FTP?
      Thanks in advance for the help!
    • nizami
      By nizami+
      Using navbar section with correctly configured WP menu to display main navigation at https://elenaangel.com. 
      All fine in desktop viewport. Menu displays twice in hamburger mode. How to fix this please?