Sign in to follow this  
cfisher

Recommend Place In Header To Place A Leaderboard Ad?

cfisher

I need to place a leaderboard ad (at the very top of the site) on my WHP-based website. I use Google Doubleclick for Publishers. I copied the general code into the Header Scripts section of WHP settings. Now I need to place the specific ad call into my theme, presumably also the header. Can you recommend an ideal spot to place this? Can you recommend what code I'd need to make it center on the page? Thanks in advance- Chris

Andrew

Hey Chris, It all depends on where you need it.. My guess would be that you want it after the 'icons' div: `

`

cfisher

Sorry. I should have been more specific. I wanted the leaderboard to show at the very top of the page (above the website name and social media icons). Also how do I center that ad? Thanks so much! Chris

cfisher

I ended up putting it right under the

</head>

, and it looks great (see http://www.bmedreport.com) I tested in Chrome, Firefox, and IE 7/8 and it looks good. Any reason why this might be a bad place? I picked up a tip on line to enclose the javascript in old school HTML `

`. It actually centered it just fine. Is there any reason (code wise) I wouldn't want to do this? Not as sophisticated as CSS but it appears to work. Thanks! Chris

Andrew

Nope Chris, it's just that easy. Thanks for providing your solution :)

cfisher

I have the strangest problem I hope you can help with. I placed my leaderboard ad just under the `</head>' it shows perfectly fine with Chrome and IE 7/8. However, it does not show at all in Firefox 3.6. I have tried removing spaces, adding spaces, etc. in case a formatting issue with no luck. Here is a cut/paste sample of the code from the actual webpage: `</head> <div style="text-align:center"> <!-- Leaderboard --> <script type='text/javascript'> GA_googleFillSlot("Leaderboard"); </script> </div> <body class="home blog"> <div id="site"> <div id="wrapper"> .....code continues on from here...........' Do you see anything wrong? thanks! Chris

cfisher

I think my code above may be fine. Have a look just in case. I have come to learn that this may be a "feature" of the Google DoubleClick for Publishers. Since this was a new ad tag, it's "decision engine" thinks that I have less impression inventory that I actually have, and stops serving the ads. I am dumbfounded that Google does this. I keep this thread updated in case others have this problem too.

cfisher

One question. I need to eliminate one potential problem. Technically, the code should be in the body according the Google. I have it directly under the close header tag in the WHP header.php. Where could I place in the body? I do not know PHP so I am not sure if this would work (interfere with PHP calls?), but would it be appropriate to place directly under: `` Thanks for your help with this.

bryan-hadaway

Yes, right under body is where you should put it. Thanks, Bryan

cfisher

Thanks. Also regarding the disappearing leaderboard ad. It slowly stopped showing in all browsers, not just Firefox. It turns out that Google DoubleClick for Publishers (DFP) cannot accurately estimate initial available impressions for newly added ad slots to a website. Google DFP actually stopped serving the ad b/c it thought I didn't have enough impressions (which I had plenty). Google says to expect this to occur for all newly added ad slots to a website. Google says it takes up to 7 days to resolve but mine resolved within 24 hours. Quite amazing that Google cannot find a way around this nonsense.