Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thwarted

Translate Content on Scroll

thwarted
Folks,

We're adding the finishing touches to an iBlogPro v1.2 site and have come up against a small issue with the Translate Content on Scroll style for Canvas Areas:

[Canvas Area] > Area Styling > Scrolling effects and sizing > Translate Content on Scroll

It creates a pleasingly modern appearance BUT when the browser is windowed and set wider than it is tall, the parallax effect causes the Canvas contents to fade and become obscured by the next object down the page moving up when you start scrolling. Even when the browser window is made taller, the object below begins its transition up the page far too early, leaving the bottom part of the Canvas always obscured and never visible.

I was wondering if this effect had any UI properties or other configuration? I don't mind editing the code that makes it work, but would rather have some pointers from you guys first.

(Incidentally I have no way of knowing precisely what version of DMS I'm using. Is there an 'about' page detailing everything I have installed? I've seen plenty of references to DMS 2 but the only version I can find by looking at the theme entry is iBlogPro v1.2.)

Danny

Hi,

Can you provide a link to the site in question and also provide a recording of your issue, as I am not entirely sure what you're referring to.

Please search our forums, before posting!

thwarted

Danny,

We've fixed (or, rather, augmented) the code, so I must sadly report that I can no longer link you to the problem.

Essentially, though, the PageLines parallax effect requires a rather too specific page layout to work correctly, and appears to have been derived from a very early version of Ian Lunn's jQuery plugin - note that it appears the author has long since rewritten it.

I don't wish to denigrate PageLines in any way because it's helped us make a professional looking site in no time at all and we're happy users. But this particular portion of the code is in need of a revisit.

Incidentally, visiting forum.pagelines.com this morning hijack-redirected me to url4short.info. You might want to take a look at http://peter.upfold.org.uk/blog/2013/01/15/cleaning-up-the-ip-board-url4short-mess/

Regards

Danny

As far as I can tell the latest version of parallax.js is 1.1.3, which is the same version that DMS uses. Without being able to see the issue, I am unable to recreate it myself and then bring this to our developers attention. If you can give me exact steps, I will try and recreate it that way.

Also, I am on this forum almost 24/7 and search the forums roughly every 20 minutes. I have never once encountered the redirect issue you mentioned above. Therefore, it is likely something malicious on your machine. As no other user or our developers have reported something similar.

thwarted

Danny,

Sure, but the source has still not been touched for three years. In pl.helpers.js we made the calculation of var trns in update() a little more complex as follows:

var absBottom = top + height - pos;
if (absBottom > windowHeight - 200) {
  var trns = 0;
} else if (absBottom <= fixedHeight) {
  return;
} else {
  var trns = (windowHeight - 200) - absBottom;
}

This mod suits us perfectly; it may not be universally suitable.

You can recreate the original problem by placing two Canvas Areas, one above the other with a Textbox in each. Fill each Textbox with sufficient guff so that they become taller than the browser window and extend outside the view. Add the parallax effect to the top Textbox, preview the page, and simply scroll down. What you will see when you start scrolling the page is that the lower container obscures a significant proportion of the upper, to the extent that you are not able to read all its content.

That's it in a nutshell :)

I would wager any amount of money that the url4short.info issue is your problem. To see it, you first need to Google for forum results, for example:

The hijack occurs when you click the search results links. A remote session to Safari on my Mac at home exhibits the precise same behaviour: Chrome and IE on at least three separate workstations, plus my machine at home all exhibiting the same browser hijack? While plausible, I would look more closely at the link I posted!

Regards

thwarted

Correction: Add the parallax effect to the top Canvas

Danny

I see what you were referring to when you mention the search, I thought you were referring to the forum search not a Google search result. I will bring this to our developers attention.

In regards to the parallax issue, I will also bring this to our developers attention. However, it isn't common to have such a high container with the parallax effect. I am unable to recreate the issue when I use less content.

thwarted

Using less content wasn't really an option, and I suspect isn't an option for most people with a lot of content.

• Similar Content

• Steve Webb
      By Steve Webb+
      I am having an issue with DMS editor not loading.  Just keeps spinning and spinning.
      Have tried several things - Logged in and out, cleared cache, deactivated all plugins, but the issue persists.
      I even had our host restore from a backup a few weeks ago, when I know it WAS working, as I edited a text box on the homepage.  The restore from backup didn't help either.
      Also, the front end of the site shows that the site is framed, or boxed now (whatever you call it), instead of full width as it was previously (last week).
      Dev console shows that there are php errors in Google maps - file is attached.
      Can someone please help?  Not sure what else I can do here...
      Thanks in advance.
      -Matt

• tuciudadenred
      By tuciudadenred+
      Hi everyone, what happens is that the web page metrosalarmas.com has a google tags which I have not attacked where I can look to remove those tags and be able to locate the correct ones.
    • Steve Webb
      By Steve Webb+
      I am having an issue with DMS editor not loading.  Just keeps spinning and spinning.
      Have tried several things - Logged in and out, cleared cache, deactivated all plugins, but the issue persists.
      I even had our host restore from a backup a week ago, when I know it WAS working, as I edited a text box on the homepage.  The restore from backup didn't help either.
      Also, the front end of the site shows that the site is framed, or boxed now (whatever you call it), instead of full width as it was previously (last week).
      Dev console shows that there are php errors in Google maps - file is attached.
      Can someone please help?  Not sure what else I can do here...
      Thanks in advance.
      -Matt

• JawDesigns
      By JawDesigns
      Hi everyone,
      Flywheel have reported errors on my clients site 'www.racewaredirect.co.uk' and it's not loading. Can someone please provide some information on how to fix this? The site has never experienced these issues before.
      Thanks,
      James Wilson
    • DonRicardoRVM
      By DonRicardoRVM+
      I need to translate the quickshop plugin to spanish, but I can´t do it. I edit the pot file, and compile the spanish translation in es_ES.mo and es_ES.po, bu it doesn´t works.
      Pleasu, could somebody help me?