Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dario

Images not showing when shared

dario
Frankly, I do not know whether this is a DMS issue or not. In that it comes about when a user uses any of the site's ShareBar buttons, I'm inclined to think that it might be. If not, then apologies.

Further, it relates to this thread here as well.

The issue is that when a user goes to FB share any page/post on the site, 90% of the time no preview image shows in the share popup nor on FB. Most of the time all one sees of the preview is what is shown on the right-hand side of the attached image. They should see what's on the left.

And yet sometimes it does work. In fact, I shared one myself and it shows on my timeline (image on the left). But, that same share shows no preview on the timelines of those who are receiving my updates (image on the right).

So, here's what I have:
  • ShareBars on most pages
  • WordPress SEO by Yoast activated
  • Images loaded into the Social tab for WordPress SEO by Yoast for each page with a ShareBar
  • All those images are 1200px x 630px
  • No featured image (because when I did, those images showed at the top of each page - that might be a better candidate for a DMS issue)
  • CloudFlare both on and off
DMS, FB, Yoast, CloudFlare?

dario
I ran the Facebook debugger tool and got this as part of the response:

[font='helvetica neue']Warnings That Should Be Fixed[/font] Extraneous Property Objects of this type do not allow properties named 'pl-share-title'. Extraneous Property Objects of this type do not allow properties named 'pl-share-url'. Extraneous Property Objects of this type do not allow properties named 'pl-share-desc'. Extraneous Property Objects of this type do not allow properties named 'pl-share-img'. Parser Mismatched Metadata
The parser's result for this metadata did not match the input metadata. Likely, this was caused by the data being ordered in an unexpected way, multiple values being given for a property only expecting a single value, or property values for a given property being mismatched. Here are the input properties that were not seen in the parsed result: 'pl-share-title, pl-share-url, pl-share-desc, pl-share-img'

dario

So I think I solved this and wanted to show how in case anyone else gets stuck.

First, I went to http://iframely.com/debug and got a more direct view of what the 'web' sees when something was shared from my site.

That report caused me to test the direct link to the Yoast SEO image I had chosen for the social image setting in the plugin.

I got a 403 error, not from my site but from the server.

Then I recalled installing hotlink protection on the server-side.

Not allowing direct requests (i.e., entering the URL of an image into a browser) in those settings seem to have been the problem.
Now that they are allowed, all seems well.

• Similar Content

• Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      My DMS 2 site http://www.heart-stone.com/ will not save any new custom css... I can still edit templates and publish those but any custom css that I enter never saves.
      All WP files, themes, and plugins are up to date. 
      Any thought about what might be causing this?
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      Is there a way to edit the custom CSS via FTP? I know I can edit the custom code in the Chrome editor but is there a file path I can use to find and edit the CSS directly from our FTP?
      Thanks in advance for the help!
    • nizami
      By nizami+
      Using navbar section with correctly configured WP menu to display main navigation at https://elenaangel.com. 
      All fine in desktop viewport. Menu displays twice in hamburger mode. How to fix this please?