Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RainMakerDesign

Web Designers...Do you Conceal or Reveal Pagelines DMS to Your Website Visitors?

RainMakerDesign

I'm curious to know if revealing Pagelines DMS to my visitors unknowingly takes away profit from my web design business?

Is it possible that some would not want to pay my web design fees, and instead proceed straight to Pagelines to purchase their own membership? I'm just saying...with the rise in popularity of WYSIWYG editors like WIX and Weebly, it seems like the do-it-yourself crowd might take it upon themselves to cut the middleman out of the equation. I know that people in the market for a website are not web designers themselves; but you don't need to be a web designer to create your own amazing site through DMS. Should I conceal or reveal DMS? Thanks.

Danny

HI,

Most people who hire designers or developers for their websites, won't necessary know where to look to find proof of DMS or any other WordPress theme. Therefore, you shouldn't really need to conceal DMS or any other theme for that matter. Also, most clients I can't imagine will be that bothered if their designer/developer has developed their site using a framework or third party theme.

However, if you do wish to conceal DMS, there are some steps you can take to prevent your clients from knowing this. For example:

You should use a roles and capabilities plugin and customize their user role capabilities.

You can then use a hide dashboard menu plugin which hides any dashboard menu item for specific user roles.

However, if your client does know what they're doing or looking for, they can just view the page source and see what theme is being used.

Please search our forums, before posting!

jmad

My opinion...  Just because someone can inspect and see you are using DMS (with or without a child theme) doesn't mean they have the skills to design a website.  Yes, many DIY web users could make a basic site with DMS but probably not do much customization, speed/hosting improvements, SEO optimization, consider site flow or conversion, know which plugins or widgets work or how they work with the theme or other plugins, test features on a variety of browsers, etc.  

I've had clients come to me after spending time (time=money) trying to use a theme that they just couldn't make look good.  DMS developer also provides more tools for turning off the parts not needed, etc.

dreamsight

We make a big deal about it and we say it makes WP a professional solution. Admittedly we are biased towards web marketing and push the 'don't spend lots on your web design...'

nfp1900

The positive aspect of using this solution and WP is that clients can get stuck in if they choose - they generally want to be able to adjust text, add posts and other functions such as events without paying endless fees to a third party. Although every job has some unique challenges a decent design/production fee upfront makes it worthwhile.  

Ultimately DMS is just a very customisable theme builder - but everyone knows how much CSS you need to get in there to get a decent front-end product which what most people wouldn't bother getting into. 

chrisayers

I never hide my support for Pagelines and DMS, You can hand anyone a guitar but does not mean they will learn how to play it well. I advertise and promote DMS whenever I can and use it as a selling point because I can say it is like the drag and drop of Wix and the power of Wordpress to my clients. They have all seen the commercials.

• Similar Content

• Holden
      By Holden
      When I got the free hi slider, I can make different transition effect of jQuery slider, but how can I change the size? What is the mean for max height 700px (as my design) and next  another mark of height in the script text would be 100%. I asked the support center of hi slider, they said I should manually change the 100% to 700px, I tried and succeed. But what does that mean?  And can I set the 700px
      to be another size?