Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jfsturtz

Proper way to backup and restore Pagelines DMS site

jfsturtz

Hi.  I recently tried to backup and then restore my DMS2 site, and something went awry.  I'm wondering if there is a proper way to do this, and I somehow hosed it up.

Here's what I did:

I installed and ran a plugin called BackWPup, which (as I understand) does two things:

1) Creates a zip of all the site content

2) Creates an SQL script file to restore the database

Then I moved the site content elsewhere.

I then re-created the site top-level directory, and unzipped the zip into it (which I though would restore the content).

Then I ran mysql on the SQL script file (which I though would restore the database)

Following all that, the site does not work in the following way:  If I view the site in Chrome, and log into the site (via wp-login.php), everything works as expected:  The site looks normal, and I can edit it using the Pagelines DMS editor as usual.

But if I view the site through Chrome without logging in, or if I view it through any browser other than Chrome, the site content is present, but it has lost all formatting, as indicated by the attached image.

Any way I can get this site back to working properly?  And what process should I be following to backup and restore a Pagelines DMS site?

Thanks.

/John

Danny

Hi John,

Can you provide a link to the site in question please. As I have entered the URL from the image and I get a blank screen.

Please search our forums, before posting!

Danny

Hi John,

Can you make sure all plugins are disabled and then go to WordPress Admin Dashboard > PageLines and click on the Save LESS button. Then Clear your browsers cache, history etc... and then reload your website, see if this resolves your issue.

Also, I have viewed your custom CSS and I you really shouldn't leave out the last semi colon on your declaration, it is bad practice. Especially, if you're part of a team.

jfsturtz

Hi again; I was away for awhile.

That doesn't seem to have helped.  Here's exactly what I did:

• In Chrome:  Logged in to the site, went to Dashboard->Plugins, selected all and bulk Deactivated (including DMS Professional Tools and PageLines Updater)
  • Went to Dashboard->PageLines and clicked on 'Save LESS' (it said Saved).
  • Started up Firefox and cleared:  Browsing & Download history, Form & Search History, Cookies, Cache, Active Logins and Offline Website Data.  (I also had an option to clear Site Preferences, which I didn't do; I can try that if you think it will help, but it's a bummer to lose those ...)

Then went to view the site again; it still looks like the screenshot I posted in Firefox (but looks normal in Chrome, if logged in to the site).

/John

jfsturtz

BTW, I've noticed I get the same appearance (the site looks like the image I posted) if, while viewing the site with the DMS editor in Chrome, I click the Deactive Editor button (little power button in the lower left corner).  Not sure whether that's helpful or not ...

/John

Danny

Can you go to DMS Toolbar > Site Settings > Reset and Flush Cache button and see if this resolves your issue.

jfsturtz

That did not seem to do it either.

Simon

Can you PM either me or Danny an admin login for the site so I can have a look.

Your CSS files are all 404's

jfsturtz

Hi Simon.  I think you've enabled me to find the problem.  I note that among the missing CSS files are those that are in the wp-content/uploads/pagelines directory.  When I originally made the backup with BackWPup, I went with the default settings (not knowing any better), and BackWPup does not include the Uploads folder by default.

I've restored those CSS files (compiled-css-core-nnnnnnnnnn.css, compiled-css-sections-nnnnnnnnnn.css and editor-draft.css) to the wp-content/uploads/pagelines directory of the site, and now it seems much happier.  Still not perfect ... there still seem to be some things missing.  But I'm guessing this is just a matter of ensuring BackWPup includes everything it's supposed to.

Which brings me to my original question:  Is a plugin like BackWPup the proper way to back up a Pagelines DMS site?  I've tested backing up and restoring using BackWPup on a WordPress site that used the stock Twenty Fourteen theme, and it seemed to work fine.  Should that work for a PageLines DMS site also (if I ensure all the necessary content is included in the backup), or is there a more appropriate way for DMS?

Thanks for your help.

/John

Simon

Well if you are backing up a site, I would copy the entire uploads folder anyway.

I cant comment on any backup plugin, there are too many and they all claim to be the best. ;)

jfsturtz

Well if you are backing up a site, I would copy the entire uploads folder anyway.

Yes.  I'm a little surprised that any of the directories are excluded from the backup by default.  Seems weird.

I cant comment on any backup plugin, there are too many and they all claim to be the best. ;)

My question isn't so much which one is best.  More this:  Will any do?  Meaning, does PageLines DMS add some complexity that would make a backup plugin designed generally for WordPress insufficient?

But that I can probably find out just by trying it ...

Thanks for the help.

/John

• Similar Content

• Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      My DMS 2 site http://www.heart-stone.com/ will not save any new custom css... I can still edit templates and publish those but any custom css that I enter never saves.
      All WP files, themes, and plugins are up to date. 
      Any thought about what might be causing this?
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      Is there a way to edit the custom CSS via FTP? I know I can edit the custom code in the Chrome editor but is there a file path I can use to find and edit the CSS directly from our FTP?
      Thanks in advance for the help!
    • nizami
      By nizami+
      Using navbar section with correctly configured WP menu to display main navigation at https://elenaangel.com. 
      All fine in desktop viewport. Menu displays twice in hamburger mode. How to fix this please?