Sign in to follow this  
compartmentlife

Changing Wordpress Directory?

compartmentlife

Alright, so this is kind of wordpress question, but I think it will affect the PlatformPro install also if I change anything. Basically, right now, the install is done in a /worpress directory and has a redirect. I experimented with moving it to the root directory, but it broke several things. The problem is that all of my Google Analytics are saying that traffic is coming from www.compartmentlife.com rather than the actual source. I can add the tracking code to the index file, but I feel that is a poor solution and I'd rather have my main url limit to compartmentlife.com/ Additionally, won't it mess with my page hits, depth of visit and other metrics being handled with a redirect? Finally, how does this redirect affect Google indexing and page ranking? Should I worry about this or leave it as is? If I do move it will I lose my formatting?

ericmyers

Matt, I actually recommend contacting your host for support with moving your blog. They may be able to do this for you without a problem. If they can't we'll point you in the right direction.

Additionally, won't it mess with my page hits, depth of visit and other metrics being handled with a redirect?
Yes this will...

Andrew

Ya moving it from the WP directory to root; isn't too bad. There is only one option you'll need to make sure is correct; and you need to change your `.htaccess` file as well. Change `Site address (URL)` and your .htaccess file at the same time. The redirect shouldn't affect Google too much. They are quite savvy with this type of thing :)