Sign in to follow this  
karledwards

Site Overhaul Strategy

karledwards

Can I design my extensive redesign in a clean Wordpress installation, import my many years of content, and then simply delete the old installation and move the new into its directory? I'm working on a site overhaul that is more extensive than merely a theme switch. I've tried to begin using the "Theme Test Drive" plugin, but want to switch too many Wordpress settings for that to work for me. My site is too customized for its own good at this point, so I'd prefer a fresh installation of Wordpress and to work within the features of Platform and Wordpress as much as I can. Thanks.

onlinetracker

I've done it just like you describe. Set up an entire blog, graphics, data import, everything... in a subdirectory. Then move it into the parent. Make a couple of changes to config and you'll be live. As long as you didn't hardcode anything to the subdirectory, you'll be good to go.

karledwards

Good to hear that it's as straightforward as I had hoped. What are the config changes that you refer to? Thanks for the quick reply.

onlinetracker

In the config file for WP, you have to change the location. You might have to change a couple of paths in the database itself. Sometimes a plugin will code something to a path for whatever reason and that breaks the plugin. There are a few things that can glitch out on you, but as long as you have a backup, you'll be okay. But I've done it about a half dozen times, nothing after 3.0 though.