Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iliteam

Help with choosing the right sections

iliteam
I want to create a site based on a layout like the getpebble.com site, with my own content, color palette, etc. of course. Still a DMS novice though, so can anyone tell me which sections to add to the page to get the same or similar layout and effects used on the pebble site please? (N.B. I'm just using pebble as an exemplar of the kind of site I want to create - I know there are plenty of others that follow this layout.)

Thanks,
J

batman

Hi iliteam

You can use the Masthead Sections to get the similar layout.

Then you need to add some CSS rules.

Please, you can take a look to this

http://www.pagelines.com/docs/dms/

Note:

I believe that for use more than a Masthead in a page you need a DMS paid, not the free version.

;)

Life is too short to remove USB safely ...

iliteam
Batman, i really appreciate you taking the time to respond. Thanks.

I tried the masthead but it doesnt apppear to be a full width section, at least not that i can see or configure. As to using CSS, the point of using Pagelines (for me at least) is the promise of true drag and drop assembly. I am trying to avoid being in the position of almost getting what I want and then having to custom tweak the rest. If that is the reality of the pagelines experience, then I may as well go find an experienced designer and have them build the site I want, because I dont have the time to learn the other stuff.

I'll keep playing with the masthead, but would also appreciate any other suggestions as to how to get the look and feel I want...

Regards,
J

jmad

Batman's advice is good!  I just want to add that there really isn't just one solution on how to build a similar site with DMS because the sections are so flexible you could use various combinations and create the effect.  The media boxes, PLNext box, text box and hero are very useful for a variety of purposes.  If you are wanting something as detailed as the little character standing on text that's going to take some specific CSS.

You would need to use a fullwidth canvas section (for your background images or colors) then add the masthead or other sections you need over it.  

If you have your graphics and such prepared then arriving at a similar site shouldn't take too long.   For any framework you will need some CSS or HTML knowledge to make the project your own.  DMS is pretty straight forward and allows you to use either the front-end editor or the WP page editor to build  pages.  

If you use your web browser inspector tool on sites like mine madskydesign.com or other DMS sites then you could get some ideas about how other designers/developers have structured sections.  

iliteam

Thanks jmad.

I only used the getpebble.com site as an example of the overall layout I am looking to achieve. That is, a top nav bar and then a number of full-width sections (each with just a choice of background color, a graphic and some headline text) that scroll up until I get to a large footer section. Pretty standard stuff really (at least from my newbie perspective)!

Not worried at all about replicating any of the content or fancy stuff on the example site.

Thanks,

J

jmad

Okay, then....

The nav bar is easy just place whichever one of the nav bars you prefer in the fixed section at the top of the page.  

Use a full-width canvas section, in the canvas section options add a background image or select your background color.  Then you will place whatever sections you want over the canvas area.  That should get you started.  You will probably have to try a few of the sections just to see what you prefer.

JG

Aires

Hi iliteam

This is how I approach a project when someone says I want a site like this one. I take a full page screenshot and layout the section in skitch just see where I will use things.

Given this particular site I know right off that each canvas section will have is own class for bg color.

here is a example .... things may change when you start putting things together.

Red = canvas section

blue= columns

http://i.imgur.com/fxSnHlj.png

~Aires

ndTgvai.jpg

Visit iheartpagelines.com for the latest tutorials on PageLines related products.

iliteam
Aires. Excellent. Thanks.

That is a really helpful way to sketch it out for me. Ill give that a go. I appreciate it may vary a little as you say, but its a great starting point.

Appreciate you taking the time to do that.

Cheers,
J

iliteam
Jmad. Thanks also. With your pointers and Aires sketch, i think i can make some progress.

J

• Similar Content

• Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      My DMS 2 site http://www.heart-stone.com/ will not save any new custom css... I can still edit templates and publish those but any custom css that I enter never saves.
      All WP files, themes, and plugins are up to date. 
      Any thought about what might be causing this?
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      Is there a way to edit the custom CSS via FTP? I know I can edit the custom code in the Chrome editor but is there a file path I can use to find and edit the CSS directly from our FTP?
      Thanks in advance for the help!
    • nizami
      By nizami+
      Using navbar section with correctly configured WP menu to display main navigation at https://elenaangel.com. 
      All fine in desktop viewport. Menu displays twice in hamburger mode. How to fix this please?