Sign in to follow this  
david_hartman

New Guy Question, Installing Child Theme

david_hartman

Hi, I've installed the Platform Pro theme to an existing Wordpress (the 2010 default theme); switched themes in the dashboard and have begun to work with the settings, configuring and reformatting post content etc.. . So far things are cool, but I have not installed the child theme, Platformbase (or the plugins.) I'm ready to start making advanced changes- should I install the Child Theme the same way I did the Platform Pro already..? Is installing and switching this done the same way.. or big deal at this point? Sorry, but I find the installation instructions a little unclear and I was eager to get started.. Thanks, David

catrina

Yes, you should install and activate the child theme first before you make any advanced changes. Just remember to rename the folder "platformpro" in your themes folder.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

david_hartman

Well.. since I installed through Wordpress dashboard.. do I install the child theme this way as well or through the ftp? Why would I need to rename the folder.. or which one do you mean? Also, will any of the formatting I've done so far and the content carry over in tact..? http://thewindingstream.com/ Thanks Catrina! -David

catrina

Yes, you can install it the same way. You need to rename the Platform Base theme folder as "platformpro" so that the changes you make to the files inside will take effect on your website. Keep in mind that the changes you make to the templates in child theme will affect both themes (Platform Base and PlatformPro).

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

david_hartman

Ok.. quick nagging question. So, i'm double naming these since the installed folder was already named "platformpro" ? Thanks so much Catrina! This is really helpful.. Best, David

catrina

I would say yes, but just in case I'm wrong, hold out on performing that step for now (just hold on for continued support tomorrow).

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Sourena

David, There is nothing complicated about using a child theme. These are the steps: 1. Install the main theme. In this case you have done that. Your main theme is PlatformPro. 2. Install the child theme (in this case platformbase.) It means the platformbase folder should be in the "themes" folder within the folder "wp-content". 3. Activate it in admin the same way you activate your main platformpro theme. Since platformbase is a child theme of platformpro it works only if platformpro is already installed. 4. Do all the necessary changes to platformbase. It means if you need to change the css of "functions.php" you need to change these files in platformbase. Do not touch anything in platformpro folder. This way you customize platformpro's look and functionalities without touching the original folder. That's it.

alefba.us

Web Development & Design for Right-to-Left languages

david_hartman

Thank you much Sourena for the clear instructions. I believe everything is in place :) Should I clear any of the settings from Platform Pro.. or at least the bit of CSS I had added to the Custom Code box on the Theme Options page? Thanks Sourena & Catrina for the quick replies! Best, David

Sourena

You are welcome. You do not need to remove the bit of CSS you had added to the Custom Code box on the Theme Options page. But if you want to make the changes permanent you can move those changes to the CSS file in the child theme and save them there.

alefba.us

bestjimmy

Sourena, Read your straightforward steps to help David. Thanks for sharing that. I'm hoping my question allows for the same kind of clarity! I am doing some building/launching work on a project where in the existing directory, there are 2 folders; (1)Platform and (2)PlatformPro. How can I tell which is the child theme or which one I should continue customization in? The name of the active theme in the WP dashboard is PlatformPro. Thank you.

Sourena

You probably mean PlatformBase and PlatformPro. You have activated PlatformPro if that is what the dashboard sys. You can always check what the current theme is by going to: Appearance > Themes and check the current theme.

alefba.us

bestjimmy

Right on your response - thanks. I have a hold on how to tell which theme is active; I should have asked my question a little more clearly :) In the wp-themes directory, there are two folders (1)platform and (2)platformpro. I've been reading here about how it is critical that I customize the child theme and not the framework and so I'm looking for a way for me to distinguish between the two and also make sure the client has uploaded the framework into a folder and a child theme (platformpro??) into a separate folder. I am not seeing anything already designated/named platformbase, although I have been seeing multiple references to it here in the forum.

bestjimmy

Sourena, Please excuse my oversight - I had posted this question as a new topic and mistakenly thought I was responding there. Thanks for taking your time to read and reply!