Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ketri

Child-theme translation issues

ketri

Hi!
I'm having two problems with my translations. I've shown them in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq2jXeHbd7o

1. When I click edit from any element on page, it's very slow and laggy. If I remove the translations from the themes it then works normally. Why does translation affect this?

2. My site is using the translation files from the DMS parent theme. The translations in my child theme (western-spirit) only work if I delete the translations from the DMS parent theme. I tried different functions in my child-theme to make it load the translations from there but they didn't work. I tried these:

function my_child_theme_setup() {load_child_theme_textdomain( 'Western Spirit', get_stylesheet_directory() . '/languages' );
}

add_action( 'after_setup_theme', 'my_child_theme_setup' );

and 

load_theme_textdomain( 'dms', get_stylesheet_directory() . '/languages' );

I also noticed than in these functions for example here http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/load_child_theme_textdomainthey always have /languges but DMS-theme has /language without the "s".

So I want to edit my site without the weird lagginess that appears when I have translations and I want to use the latest translations from Transifex on my child-theme so my translations won't disappear when I update DMS

Thanks!

ketri

I feel this is a rather important issue. 
Could I get some help here =)

Simon

dms uses 'pagelines' as the textdomain, so maybe its loading everything into two domains,

ketri

dms uses 'pagelines' as the textdomain, so maybe its loading everything into two domains,

Unfortunately I didn't understand this answer

ketri

Simon_P

I'm still unable to get the translation to work. So I want WordPress to load the .mo file from my child-theme folder. Otherwise and update to DMS (parent theme) will override my translation with a fi.mo file that doesn't have any translations. 

So what kind of function can I use to make WP load the translation from my child-theme?

Danny

Can you zip your child theme and send it to me please.

In the email be sure to link to this topic so I know what the email is regarding.

danny at pagelines dot com

Please search our forums, before posting!

ketri

Hi Danny

I sent you my child-theme a while ago. 
I really need some kind of assistance here, since I'm paying for the developer package each month and use DMS for all my client projects. My translations can't disappear with each update.

Danny

I am still awaiting the email, can you send it again as I haven't received anything.

Danny

The child themes language folder needs to be called /languages not /language

Also, your .po and .mo files are not named correctly.

You have fi.po and fi.mo, as far as I am aware they need to be named:

fi_FI.po

fi_FI.mo

Also, have you actually translated anything in those files ?

• Similar Content

• DonRicardoRVM
      By DonRicardoRVM+
      I need to translate the quickshop plugin to spanish, but I can´t do it. I edit the pot file, and compile the spanish translation in es_ES.mo and es_ES.po, bu it doesn´t works.
      Pleasu, could somebody help me?
    • Kedark
      By Kedark+
      Hello, when you update the DMS to the latest version 2.2.4, unfortunately, does not work translation theme. Has anyone encountered this? It looks as if the file with the translation was not read .. everything is in the original language. (Wordpress is also updated to the latest version)
      Help....
      RKA
    • Justin Taylor
      By Justin Taylor
      I am using a child theme (the pl-starter-theme-master) and have added the following custom function to the child functions.php file:
      // Add AddThis share code to blog posts add_action('pagelines_loop_before_post_content', 'add_addthis_share_code'); function add_addthis_share_code() { echo"<div class=\"addthis_sharing_toolbox\"></div> "; } It isn't do anything. Can someone see why?
    • DonRicardoRVM
      By DonRicardoRVM+
      HI!

First of all, sorry for my bad english.

I have a problem that I never could solve: I can´t translate the words "READ MORE" in the loop. Where must I translate them?

• ketri
      By ketri
      Hi,

I'd like to translate my DMS-theme. 
      When I use PoEdit and take the finnish translation from DMS Transifex -project and add it to the language-folder of my child-theme, the translations won't work. Only when I delete the language-folder from the DMS-parent theme the translations from my child-theme start working. 
      I don't want to edit the DMS-theme of course in any way since updates will destroy any edits.

So I'd need a function to my functions.php that would make WordPress use the translation file in my child-theme.

Thanks