Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dbrowne02

minimizing impact of fonts, fontawesome, google fonts

dbrowne02

Hi, I've noticed that some of the biggest culprits slowing down my website, at least according to tools.pingdom.com 's waterfall, are font issues related to Open Sans and Lato, and fontawesome in DMS. I am curious if you all have any ideas of how to lessen the footprint of the font issues. I am wondering if there are settings that should be enabled (or disabled), plugins or other pagelines products that help with this issue, etc. Thanks in advance for any ideas you may have. Background follows--

I have chosen Open Sans and Lato as primary and secondary text. I also notice font issues when looking at google page speed insights. For example, google pagespeed insights asks me to optimize CSS delivery of the following

Also, tools.pingdom.com 's waterfall usually shows that this takes some time to load--

<http://brownelaborlaw.com/wp-content/themes/dms/dms/fonts/fontawesome-webfont.woff>;rel="canonical"

Any ideas of what to do to lessen footprint?

Thanks,

David

Danny

Hi David,

Open Sans as far as I know is included and loaded by WordPress and not DMS. In-regards to Font Awesome, I am not really seeing any issue there and your site performance is pretty quick.

Please search our forums, before posting!

dbrowne02

Hi Danny,

Thanks for your reply. 

I have run speed tests on my site. I agree, it's performing well, but FontAwesome is slowing down the site more than most other things on there. I am not using FontAwesome icons, but I suspect that some of the buttons on my site, specifically buttons in the revslider, use font awesome. Is that right or wrong? Trying to see if I even need FontAwesome. What is its purpose and can it be removed?

I am not sure what you mean by Open Sans included and loaded by Wordpress. Do you know if there's a way to use Open Sans, Lato and Cardo and have less of a footprint? If you wanted those fonts on your site in the least impactful way possible, what would you do?

I am trying to get rid of above the fold css and script. The css includes those fonts mentioned in original post, plus 

http://bllpullzone.brownelaborlaw.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/pagelines/compiled-css-sections-1416802169.css

and 

http://bllpullzone.brownelaborlaw.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/pagelines/compiled-css-core-1416802169.css

I know for certain that the first one, compiled-css-sections, is code for my older version of website under Pagelines Framework. I am not certain what the second one is, but based on it having exact same numbers as the first, I wonder if it is a relic of my old website. 

Why does dms website need to be calling on old CSS? Can I delete these files? It seems like I could but it makes me nervous because DMS appears to be calling them during page loads. Also making me nervous about deleting, I am not seeing my dms css in page load data at tools.pingdom.com. 

The final above the fold css is style.css for nav-for-wordpress-seo-by-yoast and revslider settings.css. Is it necessary for these things to be above the fold? 

The JS scripts that are above the fold are both in the wp-includes folder. Do you know what these are, and why they are there?

Thank you. I am trying to get a better understanding for why things are where they are. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

David

dbrowne02

Hi, I wanted to follow up on my questions. Curious if anyone has thoughts on this.

Thanks,

David

Simon

Both of those css files are part of DMS, not PageLines Framework.

They are both needed.

It used to be one large file, but due to the unique crapness of Internet Explorer which actually has a limit on how many css selectors a css file can have ( honest to god im not making this up! ) we had to split the file up to keep it under their limit.

dbrowne02

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your response. When I look closely at those files I see that they contain old css. That is to say, they contain css that was used at one point but is no longer used and that I deleted. I have been editing css within DMS and deleting unneeded CSS in there. It is almost as if those two files maintain all css, even css that has since been deleted.

Also, do you have any thoughts on the post #3?

Thanks,

David 

Simon

Yea not sure.

PageLines framework never ever had a file called pagelines-css-sections.css That is 100% part of dms. dms would not enqueue a file from pagelines framework. Its just not possible im afraid.

What is this 'above the fold' thing you keep referring to? CSS has to be loaded in the <head> of the document. You cant load css lower down the page.

• Similar Content

• tuciudadenred
      By tuciudadenred+
      Hi everyone, what happens is that the web page metrosalarmas.com has a google tags which I have not attacked where I can look to remove those tags and be able to locate the correct ones.
    • Barnaby Skinner
      By Barnaby Skinner+
      Hey all, hope I worded the topic correctly!
      I just need to know if either 1) I'm making a mistake or 2) this could be set as a new feature?
      Using the global settings typography parameters, I have a global paragraph font type (set using googlefonts) and have set the style to align:justify. When laying out <p> text inside a simple TEXT module, the <p> text adheres to both the font type and justification. Perfect.
      Now, when I set <p> text inside the PARAGRAPH TEXT field within an ELEMENT module, the <p> text adheres to the font type, but not the justification. It's rather annoying as I like to fully justify para text across the board and tend to use Element modules instead of text boxes for various reasons. It also seems silly that some PARAGRAPH TEXT fields adopt global settings, whilst other don't.
      Or I'm doing it wrong :S
      Any help or advice is much appreciated!
      Cheers
    • Michael Kummer
      By Michael Kummer+
      Hi guys!
      I'm using the following typography configuration in Pagelines Settings:
      <link href="https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Open+Sans" rel="stylesheet">
      font-family: 'Open Sans', sans-serif;
      But Lato is still being loaded according to Google Page Speed. Do you know how I can prevent Lato from being loaded if I'm not using it?
      Thanks
      Michael
    • Michael Kummer
      By Michael Kummer+
      Hi guys,
      It seems like the H1 tag in the Pagelines 5 framework is missing the entry-title tag. Google Search Console complains about that and it seems like it needs to be fixed in the theme. Based on another thread, this looks like a known issue but I haven't seen any updates from the framework team.
      Any indication of what the status on this issue is?
      The site in question that I have that issue with is michaelkummer.com.
      Thanks
      Michael