Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jasonthedce

Facebook Featured Image with DMS2 Not Showing

jasonthedce

I found an old support thread for this topic from the DMS1 days. There's also this topic what never went anywhere with the same issue:

http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/34837-facebook-featured-image-not-showing-from-new-dms-2/#entry205683

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how to get images to show in Facebook. Here's what it should look like, from my blog that doesn't use DMS2:

fb1.jpg

The image is pulled directly from my post on my blog. Here's what a post looks like with a featured image in DMS2 when pasted to Facebook:

fb2.jpg

This image is pulled from the header, but I can also use the arrow buttons in the image to switch it to my Gravatar profile photo, which is the author portrait on the FirstTrinity.com site.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Simon

Please provide thew url to the site, and let us know if you are using one or more seo type plugins. Also have you tried putting the url into the facebook debug tool?

jasonthedce
Simon

so, install seo by yoast, then under SEO => social menu in wordpress admin, enable opengraph data.

Then revisit the debug urls/

jasonthedce

Ok, I installed the Yoast SEO plugin and confirmed the "Add Open Graph meta data" was checked (it was by default). All seems to be posting correctly now after this addition. Thanks!

You can see the updated debugger information for reference using the same links as above. I only installed on the "Not Working" site, so the other one is still the same as before.

Danny

Hi Jason,

Thanks for informing us the issue has been resolved.

Please search our forums, before posting!

jmad

I'm having this same problem with MadSkydesign.com   When using the share button via Safari, the page title and description appear but not the photo.  I have open graph active.

Actually, this does work for posts but not for pages.  So announcing a new site (sharing the homepage) doesn't work.  Should it.  I was pretty sure sharing a page worked before.  

I looked back and found that before when I provided a link in facebook for a site that I received something similar to the image of carasvoice dot com but now I receive this new look.  

Was this a change in DMS?   Or a change in the Open Graph?

On business facebook page, I have the option to change out the photo but on personal the option doesn't show.

[attachment=2527:Screen Shot 2014-12-07 at 11.47.01 PM.png]

Danny

Hi,

Have you uploaded a Featured image to your pages ? If your page has no image then it won't be able to share an image will it ?

jmad

Yes.  There is a featured image on the homepage.  However, there isn't any content in the WPpage but only content in the DMS tools.

jasonthedce

jmad

I'm finding that I need to paste the link into the Facebook debugger to reliably get the photos to post:

https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/

The first time I publish something, nothing appears in the debugger. When I tell it to fetch new scrape information, the correct content appears.

jmad

Hmmm.  Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Danny

jmad"] - @[member="jasonthedce suggestion is a wise one, if you ever encounter an issue with sharing to Facebook, always use their debugger tool before doing anything else.

Simon

Facebook have a VERY long cache expiration, there crawler is not like google, it looks once then caches for a very long time. The debug tool busts that cache, so if you make changes in any way use the tool to make sure everything is in place.

Someone should make a plugin to ping that debug tool when a post is updated ;)

• Similar Content

• werdnags
      By werdnags+
      I know this does not have anything to do with Pagelines directly but this is happening on my PL5 site.  At the bottom of my blog posts I have put the Facebook Comments Plugin and it works well but when people are leaving comments they are the same for every post.  Does anyone have any idea on how to solve this so the comments are for the post they are on.  Does that make sense? Ha!
      Thanks for any ideas folks.
    • MissT
      By MissT+
      Regarding the 'global option' mentioned by Simon in this previous post (to turn off the facebook opengraph data if you are using another plugin that provides it) ...where is this option? I don't seem to be able to find it.
      Many thanks in advance.

• JudithKlinger
      By JudithKlinger+
      I'm sure this is just user fatigue...but where is the setting to delete the Facebook button in the Splash section of Teamwork? You'd think it would be in the Splash area, but it seems
      to be hiding elsewhere!  You can barely see it... I didn't even notice it until I changed the image. 

• Jeffrey Salim
      By Jeffrey Salim+
      When trying to activate the Facebook Plugin, using the Bootstrap Theme under Platform 5, the following Fatal Error occurs:
      Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '[', expecting ')' in /wp-content/plugins/pl-plugin-login-facebook/libs/fblogin.php on line 35
      If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated...
    • tristanrodgers
      By tristanrodgers+
      Hi there!
      I'd love to have some social media buttons in my navbar like my online-shop has!
      http://mc1r-magazine.com/
      Can someone explain me how to create them? I tried a lot but don't know how to realize them...
      Greetings from Germany,
      Tristan