Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gorillamist

Canvas area 'Hide this section for mobile users' functions temporarily

gorillamist

Website URL: source1security.com
Framework Version: DMS2
WordPress Version: 4.0

Details:

Please help me to identify why all canvas areas with "Hide this section for mobile users" enabled only function (ie.hide sections on mobile devices) for 30-60mins after a change is 'published'. Beyond this time, the sections become fully visible.

Appreciate any assistance to help remedy this perceived bug.
Thank you kindly.

N

Simon

Hi N, 

a quote from the notice underneath those settings: 
Extra Options (Pro Tools)
These extra options will NOT work properly if you are using a cache plugin and have not configured it correctly.
So have you tried disabling all that caching?

gorillamist

Thank you kindly, that did resolve the issue. 

However, pageload speeds are considerably slower.
Is there an alternative solution to try improve the load speeds?
eg. Cloudfare 'fully compatible' & if so, what should I watch out for if/when enabling?

Thanks again, greatly appreciated.

N

Danny

The simplest way to resolve your sites performance is to not use shared hosting which a majority of people do. They fall for the marketing of shared hosting which usually has the following:

Unlimited space, unlimited databases, cPanel, unlimited bandwidth and so forth, all for $1 per month. What they do not tell you is that your site/domain will be amongst hundreds if not thousands of other sites/domains all sharing the same resources. This means that if you're unluckily enough to be on a server that has hundreds or thousands of sites running on it, then your site is going to perform poorly.

Cache plugins shouldn't really be used on sites unless your sites has high traffic and by installing one, all you're really doing is masking the issue.

I have done a reverse IP check on your domain and to my surprise (after you saying performance was poor upon disabling the cache plugin) you have two domains on that server, your own and another. This likely means that you're not on a shared hosting plan, so then you have another issue, this could be related to how many plugins you have installed or your server configuration.

If you're using a Ded box or VPS, your sites performance should be awesome. Therefore, out of curiosity, how many plugins do you have installed and how many active ? 

Please search our forums, before posting!

gorillamist
Thanks for the insights Danny, much appreciated. To answer your query, currently: - 37 plugins installed - 26 plugins are active All active plugins are compatible up to Wordpress 4.0. What are your thoughts? Does this suggest I need to better optimize images, reducing 'file size' (over perceived 'quality' benefits?) Appreciate your input, thanks again. N

Danny

26 plugins is high in my opinion, but its not the highest I have seen, there was one user who had over 200 plugins installed and active on there site. For me that many plugins shouldn't impact your sites performance. Therefore, the only other thing to look into is your server and so, I recommend you contact your web host provider and ask them to investigate it.

If you're still worried about your sites performance, I recommend you check out FlyWheel, who we use to host PageLines.com.

https://getflywheel.com/

Please search our forums, before posting!