Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dario

Category Confusion > Best Practice

dario

My client wants a page for each category which would display posts for that category only.

There would be no blog page, per se, but when he posts he would choose the proper category and the post would then show up on that category page only. It's not two blogs, it would just seem that way to the public.

In the past I would have created the categories in WP and then the two pages. On those pages I would have used the Page Links To plugin and then linked to the proper category.

Now that we're moving over to DMS2 I'm wondering if there's a more proper solution. In fact, I was likely off track to begin with.

Searching through the threads, I see three possible options:

1. Custom Post Types, following Danny's suggestions here
  2. Flipper, using Meta keys and then a Post Category value
  3. The Filtering plugin

Given my needs, what is the best way in DMS?

dario

I've gone with #1, for now.

All seems well.

Danny

Hi,

Not sure if I follow you here, but why just create the categories and link those categories in your WordPress menu. For example, lets say you have two categories in your blog, one called Movies the other called Sports. Simply link both categories in your menu and do not link your blog page in the menu.

Please search our forums, before posting!

dario
Because I over think and start learning in the middle rather than from the beginning. :)

Thanks Danny, as always.

Danny

No problem.

Bleuy

This is interesting..... I do want a blog, but I also want a "blog" type pages (ie it looks like a blog page) which only show certain categories.  For example, my client does a lot of Case Studies (a category) which are part of the blog, but they also want them to appear on a "Deployments" page.  I looked at the Flicker element but this doesn't seem to do what I want.

Any suggestions please?

Danny

To create a page that only shows specific posts, would require either using the Flipper or Masonic sections using the Meta options, creating your own loop section using certain conditions so it only displays those posts or the simplest method would be to use a plugin. You should check out MiniLoops - https://wordpress.org/plugins/mini-loops/

• Similar Content

• Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      My DMS 2 site http://www.heart-stone.com/ will not save any new custom css... I can still edit templates and publish those but any custom css that I enter never saves.
      All WP files, themes, and plugins are up to date. 
      Any thought about what might be causing this?
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      Is there a way to edit the custom CSS via FTP? I know I can edit the custom code in the Chrome editor but is there a file path I can use to find and edit the CSS directly from our FTP?
      Thanks in advance for the help!
    • nizami
      By nizami+
      Using navbar section with correctly configured WP menu to display main navigation at https://elenaangel.com. 
      All fine in desktop viewport. Menu displays twice in hamburger mode. How to fix this please?